Unai Emery

PeterSw

18 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I managed to read Carragher’s article (I fluked that trick where you can read it behind a paywall, never quite sure how it works).

Honestly not worth reading. Nothing you can’t imagine or have already read here or elsewhere for free. He does acknowledge the possibility Emery can reach the champions league with Villa, so the piece is not completely trying to move Emery on. But it’s basically “Emery is good isn’t he? Good managers tend to want to participate at the highest level.”

Difference is he's good enough and we're set up well enough for him to participate at the highest level with us.

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, The_Steve said:

The media don’t realise 1) how rich we are and 2) how we’ve built an entire infrastructure around Unai. He’s got the keys to the castle that is Villa Park. He’s rebuilt our fortifications. He’s adored and got the 100% support of the owners. He’s got the system and the ambition and win things here. People like Carragher don’t want that. 

This is the key, we are Unai Emery FC 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pongo Waring said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/11/03/unai-emery-aston-villa-champions-league-jobs/

"it's a matter of time before a champions league make him a offer he can't refuse"

F off Carragher. The top 6/Media don't like Villa being in the top 6.... So the media come out in full force to unsettle Emery and Villa.

Ah the old "media randomly hates Aston Villa" theory.

There's no agenda here - but I do think that there is a huge amount of 'conservative' thinking, particularly from ex-pros, who can't conceive of the idea of change. 

Unai can achieve a lot of what he wants to achieve in football with us. Will he retire here? I doubt it, but there are several more chapters to be written in this story ye before he maybe eventually goes to one of the very top clubs in the world. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/11/03/unai-emery-aston-villa-champions-league-jobs/

"it's a matter of time before a champions league make him a offer he can't refuse"

F off Carragher. The top 6/Media don't like Villa being in the top 6.... So the media come out in full force to unsettle Emery and Villa.

On the one hand, I'm sure there will be clubs eyeing up Unia, it's very obvious what an amazing job he's doing. Likewise De Zerbi. But in that article Carragher says he'll want to prove himself at Champions League level, implying that will be with another club, while at the same time saying we have a very good chance of making CL qualification ourselves. Doesn't seem to occur to him that that means Unai can just carry on the job here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

Good grief VT.  🤣

Everyone please go to the bathroom and have a wank.   

16 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

Villa fans.  Relax.  Have a pint.  Enjoy the ride.  

I took you up on your advice. I have to say, after the first two, the ride was harder work than it really should have been. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

To be fair he is just saying what many non Villa fans are saying and even Villa fans if VT is anything to go by. It’s understandable considering how poor we have been for many years now.   I would have preferred us to stay under the radar though. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair he is just saying what many non Villa fans are saying and even Villa fans if VT is anything to go by. It’s understandable considering how poor we have been for many years now.   I would have preferred us to stay under the radar though. 

We can't stay under the radar for ever.

I look at Emery with us the same as when Spurs had Poch.  He transformed Spurs into a club that could compete at the top, we are on a similar trajectory.  He was constantly linked with United during that time, but Spurs had the money and ambition to keep him, so do we with Emery.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I look at Emery with us the same as when Spurs had Poch.  He transformed Spurs into a club that could compete at the top, we are on a similar trajectory.  He was constantly linked with United during that time, but Spurs had the money and ambition to keep him, so do we with Emery.

This is the part that worries me. FFP is a bitch. 

55 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

The top 6/Media don't like Villa being in the top 6

They are disgusted by the possibility

Sounds like they are already entering panic mode

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Emery shits all over Poch. I remember looking into Emery when the buzz was about new manager on here Emery vs Poch and was very much impressed by Emery after a deep dive and Poch ruled us out anyway so POS happy days, suffer that Chelsea mess

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

They are disgusted by the possibility

Sounds like they are already entering panic mode

Chris Sutton in weekly BBC PL predictions linked Stephen Warnock pre season prediction of Villa finishing Top 4 that he was on to something others weren't

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

The media don’t realise 1) how rich we are and 2) how we’ve built an entire infrastructure around Unai. He’s got the keys to the castle that is Villa Park. He’s rebuilt our fortifications. He’s adored and got the 100% support of the owners. He’s got the system and the ambition to win things here. People like Carragher don’t want that. 

He did basically acknowledge that to be fair.

It's one of those unfortunate realities of supporting a club that isn't one of the "big" ones that it feels like you can't have a good thing for long before folk speculate on it being nabbed, but I don't think that Carragher piece is a particularly bad example of it. He just says that Emery will end up wanting to test himself at the highest level again and acknowledges that it could be with Villa. Overall though it's one line/sentiment in an otherwise pretty positive piece, albeit with nothing that is particularly new information to us as fans.

To me it's more of a tacit dig at Ten Hag and those that back him than it is even about Emery, if you read between the lines.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

They don't hate Villa per se, they just **** love their precious 'big six' and are happy for peasant clubs like ours to be ripped apart and destroyed to benefit them

Yep, they just want to uphold the status quo and their media invented so-called ‘Big 6’. Can’t be having a Leicester winning the league again nor the likes of ourselves, Brighton or Newcastle disrupting things. 

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm less worried about FFP since Emery joined because he can get a tune out of players at his disposal

True but then those players want new contracts which increases the wage bill. Unless revenue also increases substantially something has to give. 

No point worrying about it though as what will be will be. Just need to enjoy Unai and his crew while we have them.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, Indigo said:

He did basically acknowledge that to be fair.

It's one of those unfortunate realities of supporting a club that isn't one of the "big" ones that it feels like you can't have a good thing for long before folk speculate on it being nabbed, but I don't think that Carragher piece is a particularly bad example of it. He just says that Emery will end up wanting to test himself at the highest level again and acknowledges that it could be with Villa. Overall though it's one line/sentiment in an otherwise pretty positive piece, albeit with nothing that is particularly new information to us as fans.

To me it's more of a tacit dig at Ten Hag and those that back him than it is even about Emery, if you read between the lines.

I think that's a fair reading of it also - I do think he carries some respect for us - but I guess it's also a big changing of the guard in terms of scale and ambition. I was too young to see our successes to remember the league cups and wasn't alive for the heights of the 80s. Even now, it feels bigger than what MON did. We can't go under the radar forever. Unai brings the feel good factor in a way I cannot recall. 

• Like 1

Â