Unai Emery

PeterSw

When it comes down to it UE has had two cup games, played weakened teams in both and we have lost both. He needs to learn that you can't make whole team changes, like today, against any opposition.

We better see some sort of reaction against Leeds

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, picicata said:

When it comes down to it UE has had two cup games, played weakened teams in both and we have lost both. He needs to learn that you can't make whole team changes, like today, against any opposition.

We better see some sort of reaction against Leeds

I love that we have random people on a Villa message board giving Unai Emery tips on how to be successful in a cup competition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was not concerned about the selections today. Players chosen were clearly good enough for a win, and many of them had a lot to prove, making them logical choices.

The plan worked fine until Dendoncker did what he did.

My question would be: could Unai have done something after the penalty goal to buy time, to calm our players down? A sub? Quick new orders? It seems that players didn't know what they were supposed to do or what their role was in the corner.

2 minutes ago, jim said:

We should have been out of sight by then against 4th division semi pro players 👍

Who reached the 5th round last year and see this as their cup final?

I agree the finishing was the problem, that is a skills issue and explains why Emery is now trying to find attacking wide players.

The bloke isn’t stupid, he knows what needs doing 

Emery has been in charge of a handful of games, and as far as the league games have gone, the turnaround has been incredible. 3 wins against good teams and that could easily have been 5 with better finishing  - which he has no control over. The 2 Cup exits were in games we were leading in and reasonably comfortable before shitting the bed. Thats on the players on the pitch.

All this before being able to buy a player. It's not his squad. It's not even begun. The real problem is that the squad is full of chaff that aren't good enough (Purslow, Lange) and have phone in an abject stroll about shitshow against a basement team when they should have been trying to prove they deserve a starting place.

There will be a time when he takes blame for "performances" like this. But definitely not now. 

• Like 2

It's the entire forward players for me. They are atrocious. Buendia, Bailey, Watkins. Coutinho, Ings (poor today). Really poor for me the lot of em. What quite you do with that lot if you're Emery I really don't know. I would seriously bin the lot of them & start again. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see the odd Gerrard supporter coming out to bash Emery. It’s hilarious 🤣 Anyway Manager has to take responsibility. Emery **** up, the team **** up.  He better get a reaction out of them against Leeds. 

I just don’t think Emery did **** up though. This is 100% on the players. I will admit I probably wouldn’t have said that if it were Gerrard but with someone like Emery at the helm who the hell else could be to blame. We were set up fine, that line up should win league 2 without losing and they just didn’t even attempt to try. They are awful players and need binning ASAP. And thankfully I think they will be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Emery has been in charge of a handful of games, and as far as the league games have gone, the turnaround has been incredible. 3 wins against good teams and that could easily have been 5 with better finishing  - which he has no control over. The 2 Cup exits were in games we were leading in and reasonably comfortable before shitting the bed. Thats on the players on the pitch.

All this before being able to buy a player. It's not his squad. It's not even begun. The real problem is that the squad is full of chaff that aren't good enough (Purslow, Lange) and have phone in an abject stroll about shitshow against a basement team when they should have been trying to prove they deserve a starting place.

There will be a time when he takes blame for "performances" like this. But definitely not now. 

Apart from if you defended Gerrard until the last minute of his reign. Then it’s a great opportunity to turn on Emery. You may not get better for a while.

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yep the number one signing I would make is a new DOF

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I just don’t think Emery did **** up though. This is 100% on the players. I will admit I probably wouldn’t have said that if it were Gerrard but with someone like Emery at the helm who the hell else could be to blame. We were set up fine, that line up should win league 2 without losing and they just didn’t even attempt to try. They are awful players and need binning ASAP. And thankfully I think they will be. 

Nor do I to be honest but people want to attack him so it’s only fair you let them have their moment. 

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see the odd Gerrard supporter coming out to bash Emery. It’s hilarious 🤣 Anyway Manager has to take responsibility. Emery **** up, the team **** up.  He better get a reaction out of them against Leeds. 

Doesn’t matter who the manager is. Lose at home  to 4th division semi-pros they have to take a portion of the blame.

I think Emery has/will be great for us but he’s not immune to criticism. Take the rough with the smooth.

If people now accept the problem is the players and not the manager does that manager Gerrard was treated harshly ? 

Anyway that aside if the problem is the players then Emery needs time. We’re talking 4 windows at least. We have to be patient….again. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Pretty much where I’m at. I do feel a connection with Emery though. Let him pull this team apart limb from limb. 

I’m 100% Emery, I’m confident he will sort it out. We aren’t getting a manager better than him, if he can’t sort it, I’m not sure who will. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If people now accept the problem is the players and not the manager does that manager Gerrard was treated harshly ? 

Gerrard brought quite a number of the players into the club and we were only getting worse. Just because quite a number of our players are rubbish doesn't mean Gerrard wasn't also rubbish.

Anyway, I'm 100% behind Emery and think he will bring us success. Hopefully, next year we will play stronger teams in the cup.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anyway that aside if the problem is the players then Emery needs time. We’re talking 4 windows at least. We have to be patient….again. 

Well if Gerrard was having to play that team week in week out, then yeah I would say so.

But he wasn’t having to do so. 

We’ve seen that these players are capable of a hell of a lot better than today (well some of those featuring today). They deserve the majority or the stick, but the manager is the manager and he’s not blameless.

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don't know we had some good results under Gerrard in the early days. Same with emery but these players are so inconsistent 

Â