Unai Emery

PeterSw

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

been thinking about the "Unai taking us to Europe thing".

tbh, the more i think about it, the more i think Emery having a chance of winning/not winning a European Competition isnt the issue.

The issue is, that in places like Spain (La Liga), there is i think more opportunity for up and coming teams to have a chance to even qualify for Europe in the first place, there is effectively the big 2 (Barca/R.Madrid), then maybe just below them Atlético, after that i think its very much open to a team performing well having a good chance of Champions League Qualification, or Europa League etc, as their qualifying is guaranteed that the top 6 all get some form of European Football, however as i mentioned, they only really have a big 2, followed by Atlético, the rest of the field is fairly open to teams who perform.

Compare that with the PL, where only the top 5 is guaranteed some form of european football (then the 2 cups, or passed to league depending on cup results), but there is also a very defined "big 6" (rather than the La Liga big 2), in Man City, Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool, tbh its much harder to try and break in to those top 6, and with the general quality of 2-3 of the teams outside the top 6, even quite hard to break in to the top 8.

I suppose my point is, the hardest job for Emery long term, is to even break in to the European places, or even the top 8, as its much harder than other leagues to do so.

And the great thing is that he comes in knowing that. 15 consecutive seasons in Europe and he is willing to give that up in order to manage us. He enjoys being the underdog. Suits his non arrogant personality. 

In terms of personnel ( on paper ) we are somewhere around 9th. 

In terms of manager i would only put him below Pep and Klopp and maybe Conte. And at the same level as Arteta ( who is now proving he is elite ) and lopetegui. 

So a top 6 manager with a top 9 squad. Going to be interesting to see how it pans out . 

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, the more i think about it, the more i think Emery having a chance of winning/not winning a European Competition isnt the issue.

The issue is, that in places like Spain (La Liga), there is i think more opportunity for up and coming teams to have a chance to even qualify for Europe in the first place, there is effectively the big 2 (Barca/R.Madrid), then maybe just below them Atlético, after that i think its very much open to a team performing well having a good chance of Champions League Qualification, or Europa League etc, as their qualifying is guaranteed that the top 6 all get some form of European Football, however as i mentioned, they only really have a big 2, followed by Atlético, the rest of the field is fairly open to teams who perform.

Compare that with the PL, where only the top 5 is guaranteed some form of european football (then the 2 cups, or passed to league depending on cup results), but there is also a very defined "big 6" (rather than the La Liga big 2), in Man City, Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs & Liverpool, tbh its much harder to try and break in to those top 6, and with the general quality of 2-3 of the teams outside the top 6, even quite hard to break in to the top 8.

I suppose my point is, the hardest job for Emery long term, is to even break in to the European places, or even the top 8, as its much harder than other leagues to do so.

That’s a good point, but we just have to win the League Cup once then once we’re qualified we can perpetually win the Europa League. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

It's definitely more difficult getting into Europe in the PL compared to La Liga, but the last few seasons West Ham, Leicester, Wolves and even Burnley have all managed it.  No reason we can't

One thing about the 'Big 6' is that there are only 4 CL spots, one of them always implodes and has a terrible season, we just have to take advantage of it when they do.

Although the progression of Newcastle has just made it more difficult.

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

It’s a no brainer isn’t it? One it’s a trophy and two it’s a gateway into Europe. It’s shocking how many teams don’t put the effort into a cup run.

The prize money for winning the cups is essentially nothing, that’s why. Europe isn’t that great too, unless its the CL. Especially if it could threaten the league performances with the increase in match load. The premier league is just massively more important for clubs like us.

Like, from a fan perspective, of course it would be cool to see our club win a trophy and be in europe, but from a more material perspective, they really are not worth the effort

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I read a post on twitter today that on home match days the squad will be getting a coach from Bodymoor Heath to VP so the players can be more focussed before hand.

Don't know if this is true or Twitter shite, but if it is true then its another part of his attention to detail and professionalism.

It kind of makes sense for them all to arrive together rather than between a certain time.Pretty much as they do for away games.

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I'd say that's one reason he's took the job on. He loves the challenge.

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Manageable then basically!

yeah seems so, outside of Cash and Donk, i dont think any of the others will have any real impact on a mini pre-season (maybe Marty if he needs to work on playing out as some sort of sweeper keeper, but not the end of the world i dont think?)

I feel much more confident about an Emery "mini pre-season" than i did about the two Gerrard debacle "mini pre-seasons"......

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Rather get the 3 points against Brighton. Don’t see the problem. 

also he will get to look at other players more closely to see who to get rid of in January. We have enough to win the game vs this United team

Â