Unai Emery

PeterSw

25 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

Changing captain again and especially mid season smacks of dressing room disharmony, but given it is done under a fresh slate, maybe it isn't as negative as it feels from the outside?

Emery hasn't said a word but all the rumours about scouting, application and so on. Feels good man.

It's better that he's not teasing it for 6 months and unsettling the current captain and just getting it done from the outset imo.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

They beat Burnley on 4th December.  They also played Arsenal, Leicester, Liverpool and Man City in quick succession before January.

Thankfully the defense UE has inherited is nowhere near as bad as the one Howe inherited.

Oops correct apologies, but 1 in 8....my point was, he need reinforcements.

yeah, better defence.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's better that he's not teasing it for 6 months and unsettling the current captain and just getting it done from the outset imo.

Clearly one of the most brainless things a manager in any sport has ever done. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

You might be able to see from Sundays game.  He picked the team imo

Do you reckon he'd be that arrogant that thinks he already knows more about our squad than Danks? I very much doubt it myself. I think he'll be using this time to gather information before taking charge himself. 

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

What do you expect from him then this season?

Gradual and steady improvement, I want to see the football style, more convincing, it would be nice to see players themselves improve as well as the team as a whole.....more aggression and intensity.

No gaping holes at full back, and a more galvanised and cohesive transition of play.....more like what Aaron provided on Sunday, without expecting to score 4 every match.

and see where, it takes us.

My expectations are modest, but I would like to see an incremental path of improvement on a reasonable scale.

2 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

As much as the thought of having an UE directed shopping spree excites me, I have to admit that my immediate interest will be to see the difference Emery can make for the exisisting team.

Our squad is full of talented, exciting players which, for varying reasons haven't gotten out what many rightfully was hoping to see, and as time has passed with nothing much to show in terms of convincing, fun football, this has been far too easy to forget.

Let Emery's man management abilities shine and what should come out of it is waste improvement in a lot of areas: physically, technically, mentally as well as tactically and the ability to play to each other's strengths instead of the opposite.

Trying very hard not to getting ahead of myself, but this batch of players, spiced up with a youngster or two, might very well be an absolute revelation both collectively and individually. The capacity for good European league class football is there already, I'm convinced of that.

Let the good times begin!

If I'm honest, I'm sure he will appreciate backing, but from everything I've read and seen, he is far from what you'd consider a " chequebook Manager "

More excellent work from the For the love of Paul McGrath pod. An interview with Graham Hunter.

Key insights. Unai is an obsessive trainer and planner. He gives players hours of information for each game.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

More excellent work from the For the love of Paul McGrath pod. An interview with Graham Hunter.

Key insights. Unai is an obsessive trainer and planner. He gives players hours of information for each game.

Just finished it myself. It's well worth the listen.

• Like 1

Smith, Gerrard and Emery are all such different types of managers.

Doesn't seem like the owners has a plan in mind they just hired a manager who looks good on paper.

If you look at for instance a Brighton they have a clear style of play in mind and will recruit managers and players who fits into that mold.

Whereas with us we seem to be flip flopping back and forth ending up with a mesh of different types of players from different types of managers.

Crossing my fingers this appointment works out but if it doesn't we have to decide which direction we want to go and stick to it. We can't keep flip flopping between different strategies.

Post isn't meant to be a positive or a negative one. Just watched pegs video and thought she had some interesting thoughts worth exploring.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Smith, Gerrard and Emery are all such different types of managers.

Doesn't seem like the owners has a plan in mind they just hired a manager who looks good on paper.

If you look at for instance a Brighton they have a clear style of play in mind and will recruit managers and players who fits into that mold.

Whereas with us we seem to be flip flopping back and forth ending up with a mesh of different types of players from different types of managers.

Crossing my fingers this appointment works out but if it doesn't we have to decide which direction we want to go and stick to it. We can't keep flip flopping between different strategies.

Post isn't mean to be a positive or a negative one. Just watched pegs video and thought she had some interesting thoughts worth exploring.

You really felt that there was a clear direction and plan from the top of the club to the bottom when Smith was here:  Recruit young talented footballers who could raise in value with good coaching and play exciting football while making progress up the table.  That philosophy was completely gutted we signed Gerrard and the need for experience or "ready now" players in the squad overruled all those ethos from Smith's era, in addition to the playing style on the pitch completely changing to a system which didn't suit our squad's strengths.  I really hope we get back on the same page with a cohesive philosophy on and off the pitch with Emery.  

Edited by KMitch
Engrish
  • Like 4

Graham Hunter on Emery “ His training sessions are ultra intense. Players have to be willing to learn and be open and like sponges. Then there is his video analysis, even Pep doesn’t do video analysis like Emery “

I feel inevitably some will fall by the wayside, others he’ll bring along and transfer windows too he’ll bring his own players in. 

• Like 2

People talking about his football being bad at times at Arsenal.

These arseholes ran Wenger out the club yet were more than willing to put up with shithousing two titles under George Graham.

Ask Chelsea supporters if they would scrap the titles under Mourinho and Conte playing crap.

He'll, I remember watching Man U in Fergies later years be utter Garbage but win titles out of sheer mental attitude and a manager tactically astute.

Give me a manager who plays purposeful football that gets results over ticky tacky that wins nothing.

We're in good hands with this man 

• Like 2

Â