Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

He's no better than Smith, you know that don't you? Brentford are ticking over because they have a top striker at the club.

How is he no better than Smith when he seems to have done a better job with them in every way?

Preferred Emery over Tuchel and Pochettino from the start. Think he would stay and build something here over a longer time and he has the experience and the tactical knowledge.

If we go from some other in the Premier League I would prefer Hasenhuttl  over Frank. 

Amorim feels like a big gamble for me. 

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

I want some excitement back into the club. That means that boring safe choices like Dyche, Frank, Rafa or someone like that, should be a non starter, unless nobody else want to come here.

Choices that would be create a buzz around the club:

• Emery: He turned down Newcastle, so coming here gives us some bragging rights. He have the track record and the skill.
  • Amorim: Will be the most expensive manager ever, that show some real ambitions. He have been excelled in every job so far.

The club need to be more ruthless if the next manager doesn’t work out. Smith was sacked at the right time, but Gerrard was given way way too much time. Already at the end of last season it was becoming clear that he didn’t had the skill set required for the job. This season have been just painful to watch an incompetent manager cling on to a job he can’t do. Not only does it benefit the club if we are ruthless, less mess to cleanup. The manager will also benefit, just think what damage Gerrard’s reputation have taken this season.

It's not really the time for an exciting manager sadly.

The squad is awful, unbalanced and lacking leaders and characters.

We have no coaches, seemingly no infrastructure and awful scouting.

I'd love an exciting manager. A left field young exciting coach that can do a Poch and transform the club.

Realistically with this team and how it has been left we are in a relegation fight and nobody at the club or in the stands seems to actually realise it. 

This squad is not good.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

This squad is not good.

Agreed. Watkins, cash, mings, McGinn, ings, etc all way over rated on here. And slippy made the squad worse by signing digne and coutinho on ridiculous contracts. 

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I'd love an exciting manager. A left field young exciting coach that can do a Poch and transform the club.

Realistically with this team and how it has been left we are in a relegation fight and nobody at the club or in the stands seems to actually realise it. 

This squad is not good.

Mostly agree, although I think they can be improved with good coaching and we shouldn’t be in a relegation fight. But we are a lower mid table squad but have paid upper mid table prices for it and now seem to be walking an FFP tightrope given Purslows “one in one out” comments. I don’t think we can promise a big budget to tempt an elite manager.

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

This squad is not good.

With you on this. 

So many on here will be left scratching their heads when a new manager comes in and has the same struggles as Gerrard. I expect us to be better than we were with Gerrard, no doubt, but that’s not to say we won’t be in a relegation fight. 

We’ve been spectacularly poorly run over the last 18 months. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

With you on this. 

So many on here will be left scratching their heads when a new manager comes in and has the same struggles as Gerrard. I expect us to be better than we were with Gerrard, no doubt, but that’s not to say we won’t be in a relegation fight. 

That implies our squad, injuries aside, isn't close to Top 8 material. I don't disagree if that's the case

• Like 1

If we are prepared to heavily back a new manager we still need someone with that pull to attract the best talent we can. That was one of the positives of Gerrard. I can’t imagine we’d have got Kamara or Carlos with Dyche in charge.

The squad needs to improve alongside the manager and someone of Emery’s calibre would surely attract better players than Dyche, even if money talks.

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

This squad is not good.

It sounds like you are saying that in this depressing time for the club, we should continue staying depressed, and not look for any glimmer of hope.

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

This squad is not good.

The squad is fine… it needs one or two additions, better team selections, a clear game plan. It might not be a top 6 squad but it certainly is not a bottom 6 squad. Look at what other managers are doing around us with much weaker squads.

• Like 3

Yep a new manager will inherit a squad full of players better than at least 10 other squads.  But it’s unbalanced, no confidence, no tactics, no plan, no settled team.  If a new manager can get that in place, this exact same squad should be able to achieve 10th this season. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

With you on this. 

I am bit stumped by this sudden shift in narrative. I've had some really sharp posts thrown my way for suggesting that our squad is probably overrated and has a lot to prove, and it might not all be Gerrards fault.

Now it seems a new consensus forming that our squad is 'unbalanced and poor'?

I mean I think so too, but again, this is a silent narrative shift we are seeing. It was all down to him not getting their true potential out.

Regardless of who the new manager ends up being I do so look forward to people complaining from day one when we don't instantly look like 1970 Brazil.

Even thou the same people will have been complaining that the old manager could not be judged until he had 2.1 years, two or 3 pre-seasons and a complete rebuild of the squad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

The squad is fine… it needs one or two additions, better team selections, a clear game plan. It might not be a top 6 squad but it certainly is not a bottom 6 squad. Look at what other managers are doing around us with much weaker squads.

We've said so many times over the years. The squad is fine because it has more expensive or experienced players.

A squad is more than just having better calibre players.

This squad is definitely bottom 6 due to lack of cohesion, unity , leaders , work ethic and bollocks.

Mcginn is our captain ffs and then what else? A stripped of all leadership Mings and a goalkeeper and a 37 year old who realistically shouldn't play.

Too many players on big money, on the slide or just not hungry.  It's a poor poor squad.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2