Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Emery is basically a BTEC Paul Lambert.

He likes his slow possession football, he is pragmatic and he favours a double pivot and at times it can be a bit tedious to some.

Basically bring back Lambert.

He also plays double full backs as times. So the wingers really deep just sitting Infront of the full backs. He did that yesterday.
His mentality is go into the games not to lose rather than to go into the games and win. Something that our fans didn't like about Gerrard.
No doubt its been successful for him and got an amazing CV. 

4 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Is the notion of him being defensive from his time at Arsenal or elsewhere? Because in his full season there, they were 3rd top scorers after City and Liverpool, but only 9th for fewest goals conceded. When he was sacked by Arsenal they'd scored 18 and conceded 19 in 13 games. Doesn't sound very defensive to me.

In two full seasons at Villareal he's finished 7th but had 4th highest scoring team both times. Defensively they were 8th and 4th in these two seasons.

Exactly...  More armchair footy experts making stuff up because they want to be the first one to say "I told you so!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

His 442/4141 looks like its only been used in the majority at Villareal.

Arsenal was predominantly 4231 first season but got messy second season, looks like he also tried 433, 442, 442 diamond, 4312 and 3412 in the 13 games he had before the sack.

PSG 433 nearly all the time.

Sevilla looks like 4231 about 80% of the time.

Feels like maybe he finds a system for the players at his disposal, uses that most of the time, but can mix it up depending on the opposition.

Edited by tomsky_11
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, messi11 said:

He also plays double full backs as times. So the wingers really deep just sitting Infront of the full backs. He did that yesterday.
His mentality is go into the games not to lose rather than to go into the games and win. Something that our fans didn't like about Gerrard.
No doubt its been successful for him and got an amazing CV. 

Yes, I mean it would be awful, just awful to have to endure all that success and those positive results down at Villa Park. 

We don't want that, it's not who we are, no sir, not a bit of it.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Yes, I mean it would be awful, just awful to have to endure all that success and those positive results down at Villa Park. 

We don't want that, it's not who we are, no sir, not a bit of it.

We've always played the West Ham way and we will continue to play the West Ham way.

Champagne football.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

His 442/4141 looks like its only been used in the majority at Villareal.

Arsenal was predominantly 4231 first season but got messy second season, looks like he also tried 433, 442, 442 diamond, 4312 and 3412 in the 13 games he had before the sack.

PSG 433 nearly all the time.

Sevilla looks like 4231 about 80% of the time.

Feels like maybe he finds a system for the players at his disposal, uses that most of the time, but can mix it up depending on the opposition.

A manager that adapts his system to get the best out of the players?

Someone needs to let him know we don’t do that at B6.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

If it is Emery don’t be surprised if we become very successful. That Arsenal stint and the abuse he received will make him even more determined to make us challengers in the league and cups.

My first choice would always be Marcelo Gallardo followed by Pochettino but Emery is a very close 3rd. But my opinions are as useful as chocolate teapots so…..

My only worry is the abuse he will takw now as some sectioms of the media are already gunning for us

• Like 2

I'm not excited by Emery as his football is too pragmatic and defensive for me... and I want to see us play good football.

But he's a decent appointment and probably the right one for Villa now. So I'm in on it, if not excited.

I saw a debate on Twitter the other day about Bielsa v Dyche and that Bielsa is clearly the better manager but in 17th and a 3rd of the season gone, Dyche would probably be a better choice for us.

Emery is the sensible, measured choice. He will be able to make us more pragmatic, we'll be able to see games out better and we'll be tighter. The 'positives' of Dyche.

We'll also have a European quality manager, who has won things, has a big name and (hopefully) commands respect of the dressing room, and will attract players who may otherwise have not considered us. (Some) of the positives of Bielsa.

We'll also see Luiz played in a Pivot finally and in a 4231 we may even see the best of Buendia & Bailey and the end of WatkIngs. 

*Disclaimer* not saying Dyche or Bielsa were in the running or should've been, but just Emery is a nice balance and therefore a good fit if we aren't somehow pulling a Poch, Tuchel, etc. out of the bag.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

I'd be happy with Emery.

Take a look through our Premier League history and tell me how many good, established managers we've had.

Now count the chancers, the up-and-comers, the relatively new and promising.

Would take Emery in a heartbeat

• Like 1

Emery absolutely does not have his teams play boring football. I’ve always watched Spanish football because I prefer technical teams as opposed to the kick and rush rubbish we’ve served up at Villa for a very long time and he’s mostly had his teams playing good technical football. 

We won’t dominate every game but we’ll be in the games and with a chance of winning. 

• Like 2