Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Manager still has chance to tweak the style/system even if they're not making the signings.

If you saw enough of Brighton under Chris Hughton you'd note it's a 360 degree turn to how they played under Potter.

DS was solid at Brentford but in his three years there never made top 6 once. Frank comes in and they make play offs pretty quickly and then went up the following season.

We have Lange here apparently making some signings so don't see why it's not a bad thing if Frank would just concentrate on the first team squad and promoting some youth.

And he came to us while languishing in the bottom half and took us up at the first time of asking, or are you arguing that Bruce did the prep work for that? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Maybe he want's to buy a holiday home on the French Riveria.

Don't underestimate this as a factor. With the kind of money he's got he can have a corner of paradise round there... would make his wife and kids happy if he's got any...

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

It would be a huge shame if we miss out on Poch, I'm holding out that the guy that reported this is wrong. He was wrong about the Sarr news even after we caught wind of the move breaking down, so who knows.

Either way if they don't sack Gerrard then no-one's going to be replacing him.

• Like 1

Poch would be my choice due to his record of bringing through academy players, the South American connection & I just feel its a good fit for where we want to be and the great work he did in this league with both Southampton & Tottenham.

I feel however that by the time we act, we’ll be left a straight shoot out between Rodgers and Benitez.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Poch would be my choice due to his record of bringing through academy players, the South American connection & I just feel its a good fit for where we want to be and the great work he did in this league with both Southampton & Tottenham.

I feel however that by the time we act, we’ll be left a straight shoot out between Rodgers and Benitez.

We will not be in for Benitez.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

And he came to us while languishing in the bottom half and took us up at the first time of asking, or are you arguing that Bruce did the prep work for that? 

Bruce signed the likes of Hourihane, McGinn, Elmo , Anwar El Ghazi , ( All played vital part in our promotion ) etc so as unfashionable as it is to say on here, Bruce definitely did have a part.

As with everything else though, this all goes by what people want to be true and who they like.

Similarly to how Deano apparently is responsible for Thomas Frank's success at Brentford, but Gerrard has nothing to do with Rangers... Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Just as an aside, I think from a pragmatic standpoint there is simply no way on earth Gerrard is actually getting sacked for at least the next two weeks. No way on earth. Laugh, cry, kvetch, whinge, detach, pray all you want -- it ain't gonna happen. I also don't think the leadership will be working "back channels," no matter who claims otherwise. All the speculation is entertaining and maybe comforting (or not?), but it might as well be a game of Football Manager. (If you hear a note of condescension in my post, please don't forget that I am a fully credentialed, forum-registered fool, I accept that, and I'm just trying to work out all this sad and exciting Villa nonsense with the rest of you lot.) 

I would love to see Gerrard's Villa win our next two winnable matches. I'm skeptical, but I'm hoping for his sake and ours. But if he loses both, I do think he's gone. Then and only then we can really start dreaming about great, experienced, proven managers we'll never try hard enough to sign.

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

26 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Just as an aside, I think from a pragmatic standpoint there is simply no way on earth Gerrard is actually getting sacked for at least the next two weeks. No way on earth. Laugh, cry, kvetch, whinge, detach, pray all you want -- it ain't gonna happen. I also don't think the leadership will be working "back channels," no matter who claims otherwise. All the speculation is entertaining and maybe comforting (or not?), but it might as well be a game of Football Manager. (If you hear a note of condescension in my post, please don't forget that I am a fully credentialed, forum-registered fool, I accept that, and I'm just trying to work out all this sad and exciting Villa nonsense with the rest of you lot.) 

I would love to see Gerrard's Villa win our next two winnable matches. I'm skeptical, but I'm hoping for his sake and ours. But if he loses both, I do think he's gone. Then and only then we can really start dreaming about great, experienced, proven managers we'll never try hard enough to sign.

giphy.gif

While it’s very unlikely Gerrard gets sacked now in the next two weeks I think it’s naive to think they will sack him after a particular one off result because of that result.  They will be planning and having back channel conversations now just because of the position we are in.  They may never take it to the next step but they imo are definitely having back channel discussions.  These guys are prepared so they won’t sack and then start looking for a manager, they are just not that type of business men.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

While it’s very unlikely Gerrard gets sacked now in the next two weeks I think it’s naive to think they will sack him after a particular one off result because of that result.  They will be planning and having back channel conversations now just because of the position we are in.  They may never take it to the next step but they imo are definitely having back channel discussions.  These guys are prepared so they won’t sack and then start looking for a manager, they are just not that type of business men.

Fair enough, Nick. I guess I should better define back channel. I specifically mean external back channels, not internal.

4 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Everybody was saying that we are a too small club for Pochettino. In other words we are smaller club than Nice!

That should mean Favre is back on the market.

Was his managerial dream to manage Ross Barkley