Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Can i ask of Villa fans this - genuinely. I’ve seen some say we want a manager who is elite in coaching himself, smart footballing IQ and tactically top drawer. Granted Gerrard is none of those things. However, the very fans that will say that also call for almost instantaneous success. Want Europe. Top 4 mooted about at times. Are folk mature and grown up to realise that if we do this properly, and it’s a systematic approach with good structures and actual coaching - it still won’t come overnight . I’ve been alive to see Villa win the sum total of 2 league cups in the 90s. I’m not gonna put 1982 in my mouth or dine out on it because i didn’t live that. It’s the younger Villa fan that has the sense of entitlement that i don’t understand. It’s short termism, Purslow vanity projects - it doesn’t work. Get a proper coach but it will still be slow, just want us to do things right. 

I'd  be prepared to wait as long as there was clear progress in results and playing style, and a sense we were moving in the right dimension.  Mid table with some great results/performances thrown in there and maybe a league cup over the next 3 years would be brill. 

• Like 1

Whilst I want to believe we’re identifying and speaking with potential replacements for Gerrard, I can’t help but think he’ll be given a bit more time. Even though it’s apparent that things won’t improve.

Please NSWE, give me some optimism, let me look forward to Saturdays again, instead of that feeling of impending doom. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

If he ain’t sacked tomorrow then he might even get until the break because there is no way we get anything against City.

Just give Critchley the game - it's a free hit either way. Just don't embarass yourself with the scoreline.

• Like 2

Just now, The_Steve said:

Just give Critchley the game - it's a free hit either way. Just don't embarass yourself with the scoreline.

i agree, drop Gerrard now, give Critchley the reins until we get a new manager.

It literally couldnt be any worse, and im not even joking.

10 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Can i ask of Villa fans this - genuinely. I’ve seen some say we want a manager who is elite in coaching himself, smart footballing IQ and tactically top drawer. Granted Gerrard is none of those things. However, the very fans that will say that also call for almost instantaneous success. Want Europe. Top 4 mooted about at times. Are folk mature and grown up to realise that if we do this properly, and it’s a systematic approach with good structures and actual coaching - it still won’t come overnight . I’ve been alive to see Villa win the sum total of 2 league cups in the 90s. I’m not gonna put 1982 in my mouth or dine out on it because i didn’t live that. It’s the younger Villa fan that has the sense of entitlement that i don’t understand. It’s short termism, Purslow vanity projects - it doesn’t work. Get a proper coach but it will still be slow, just want us to do things right. 

I wanted Lucien Favre last time as he would be someone with a track record of working with and improving young players of which we had plenty of promise last year, while also being a good tactician. It would have improved us in the long run and aided our progress towards becoming a team competing for Europe. Gerrard's record in Scotland consisted of him overspending to take advantage of Celtic's decline and collapse under Neil Lennon. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I'd  be prepared to wait as long as there was clear progress in results and playing style, and a sense we were moving in the right dimension.  Mid table with some great results/performances thrown in there and maybe a league cup over the next 3 years would be brill. 

Exactly. Success is relative . If pochettino’s Spurs were measured on trophies you’d say they were a failure - which obviously wasn’t the case. That’s all id want too. Just to see an upward trajectory, that we are going somewhere. I can accept that. 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I am at the point of firmly believing that is Purslow is so blind or weak that he won't sack Gerrard tomorrow, he needs a director of football under him with the final say in the manager.

I do believe we need a director of football. I think all of the footballing decisions should be taken out of Purslow’s hands. Let him carry on with the commercial side of it, building the brand which to be fair, he’s probably good at . He is a disaster at making footballing decisions. 

Why were no candidates interviewed when Smith was sacked. This is so obviously the case. Purslow should be taken to task on that alone at a fans forum etc. 

I never thought Pochettino would be attainable but the more i think of it, his experience at PSG may of reignited his love for what he actually likes doing - coaching and working with players who have an appetite to learn. PSG sold him a shoddy bill of goods. Same was thrown at Bielsa. Couldn’t work with top players. He most likely could but his forte was players who bought into a team ethos and had an appetite to work.