Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

15 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

I can see it being Rodgers as the next manager as he managed Coutinho at Liverpool and Purslow won't want to write off his star signing

This worries me. A sizable portion of Leicster fans want him out, and at least one visiting supporter on VT wouldn't even wish him upon us as he allegedly dodges responsibility and is a negative manager. 

In my opinion I Rodger's would be a bad appointment if we want to progress. It's basically more of what we've already tried albeit it a step up from Gerrard based on CV and experience. 

Then again, I have urged us all to just embrace the suck and accept we are bound to be mired around mid-table at best until the oil money dries up or the world comes to a crashing halt from war and famine. 

6 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Leicester fans I know despise Rogers. Say he is just way too negative and always makes terrible subs. They often take the lead in games then he messes up by trying to sit on it and making poor changes. 

How true that is I wouldn't know.

How typical of Villa would it be to appoint a manager that’s poor at making substitutions ?

47 minutes ago, daft said:

This worries me. A sizable portion of Leicster fans want him out, and at least one visiting supporter on VT wouldn't even wish him upon us as he allegedly dodges responsibility and is a negative manager. 

In my opinion I Rodger's would be a bad appointment if we want to progress. It's basically more of what we've already tried albeit it a step up from Gerrard based on CV and experience. 

Then again, I have urged us all to just embrace the suck and accept we are bound to be mired around mid-table at best until the oil money dries up or the world comes to a crashing halt from war and famine. 

F

More fickle than our lot then. I would live the success he has had at leicester here. Give me that then this crap gerrards given us

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Lucien Favre was a popular name on here last autumn...could he be lured away from Nice?

Should have been the one to replace Smith. He was out of contract then. Marco Rose is the one in that position now. If it's not Poch, Rodgers or Potter .

• Like 1

Rodgers is someone you bring in knowing he's got a ceiling and 'quirks'. Think how Leicester have spent well over a year being terrible at defending set pieces.

On the plus side, he's actually a football manager.

I genuinely think that Smith was shafted by the signings of Ings and Tuanzebe, together with a shambles of a pre-season (not his fault), and the loss of his star player. He had to change a solid defence to incorporate a third CB and not only destabilised the defence but also had a knock-on effect throughout the pitch - especially as he then also had to fit in a new striker alongside the existing (clearly both Ings and Axel had been promised game time), as well as plugging the hole left by Mr Floppy Hair. 

Any manager would have struggled in those circumstances. Sadly the decision was made to part company and I understand the thinking behind it although I didn't agree with it, as long as we then went out and got a top manager who could really propel us forward. 

We got Gerrard. 

A big name, sure, but a very light CV. "Yeah, but he won the league with Rangers", well, so **** what? - I could probably win the league with Rangers.  This was the concern - he did not have the managerial experience and demonstrable expertise that made parting company with Smith a sensible decision. 

It was a gamble - he is a born winner, but it hasn't paid off. The job is too big for him, too much, too soon. He has had time now, and enough transfer windows, and a full pre-season and is not showing any growth as a manager, no clear improvement and no obvious plan. In fact we seem to be getting worse, with better and better players. 

Yes, he has been great for our recruitment - a few players have clearly come to us because of the "Stevie G" factor, players which we would not have been able to recruit under Smith - but would we have been able to recruit them under, say Poch? (as an example) - maybe not Coutinho, but the others, certainly, and frankly, I have not been that impressed with Coutinho for us so far.

I think it is time for Gerrard to go. BUT, we MUST get a top top manager this time. 

Edited by TheStagMan

Spoke with a Leicester supporting friend, he said that recently the Leicester team looks tactically all wrong. Yes, Rodgers did well, but something has ended and it's not the same anymore. 

24 minutes ago, useless said:

In three full seasons with Leicester Rodgers has finished 5th twice and 8th, and also won an FA Cup, in the season when he took over them with ten games to go, they finished sixth in the form guide based on those final ten games.

Feels like we've seen this before, a manager does well at a club but the fans feel they should be doing better, but when that manager leaves things don't get better they get worse and the fans realise they didn't know how good they had it.

Rodger's time with Leicester might be drawing to a natural close, but he's done a very good job with them, and it's highly unlikely that their next appointment will do better than he has done.

I have a close friend who is a Leicester fan and he hates what the fan base is becoming with ridiculous demands and expectations. 

Rodgers record there would be the most successful period for us in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Spoke with a Leicester supporting friend, he said that recently the Leicester team looks tactically all wrong. Yes, Rodgers did well, but something has ended and it's not the same anymore. 

Rodgers is a colossal bottle job - how many times they bottle getting top 4? 

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Leicester have not signed anyone. So its all on rodgers

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I have a close friend who is a Leicester fan and he hates what the fan base is becoming with ridiculous demands and expectations.

This is the modern day football fan of any club. Social media has a lot to answer for. I suppose they’re unique in that they are the one club outside of the big six who have tasted reasonably regular recent success and now that is slipping away. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I'd like Rodgers. I think the guy is a bit of a tool and no doubt he wouldn't be at the club a long time but he's a big upgrade on the shit we're seeing.

Just curious. Why do you think he's 'a bit of a tool'?