Match Thread: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

A side note, and maybe a little negative, but I think we've looked a bit better because of McGinn not having to be involved in getting forward.

He's being tenacious and fighting well, but if you swapped him out for Buendia to fill the gap between CM and the forwards I think we'd look even better.

4 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

If we’d played like this against Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham, Leeds and Forest then maybe we wouldn’t be as hacked off as we are 

And that is why he still should be sacked, all this shows is the raw materials are there for a proper manager to get firing.

Its not the players! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

The lesser sides play a low block and we've gone at them with no width.

Yep we all know that but does Gerrard.  I think it’s also looks like the players want it more as well today.  Seems big teams play their way and don’t care what we do whereas lesser sides just put think us.

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I just feel like ive seen this movie a million times before. We get one good performance out of 5 games and still manage to lose it off a mistake and then revert to crapness in the following game to just lose again

Yep

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We can blame Gerrard. 

He’s stumbled onto a system that actually works after 10 games of a season. A system that requires wingers. And we have none because he decided to get rid of them other than 1. 

It’s actually your hero’s fault that we’re 1-0 down today, but don’t let that stop you from having yet another pop at the manager! 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, macandally said:

And that is why he still should be sacked, all this shows is the raw materials are there for a proper manager to get firing.

Its not the players! 

Exactly, this to me shows exactly why Gerrard should be fired, not that he will if we still lose.  “It’s not him, it’s the playing not taking the chances”, “he’s turned the corner” it was the same after the City game and we were still shit in the next games.

Edited by nick76

Let's face it, we were never going to sack him after this game. Like the city game a free hit for him. It's if he still cannot work out how to play against the dredge and bang average sides that'll be his downfall.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

Gifting and I really mean gifting them the goal was inexcusable.

Mings has always been a poor header of the ball, never any direction on it and normally beaten in the air but what the actual F he was doing with a free header under no pressure just shows exactly how poor at heading he really is.

Apart from that there's several talking points, the yellow which I'm baffled wasn't a red, full set of studs going into Ramsey after the ball has gone ? 

Ings has been the ings we thought we had signed, holds it up, clever and if he had that extra yard of pace would be getting 15 to 20 every year.

Bailey has been a traore today, some lazy tracking and terrible freekick and then cutting past people and crossing accurately. 

Mccginn has wound his neck in and has been on the whole, playing simple balls and getting stuck in.

We lack some forward momentum at times and due to slowing it down it ends up all the way back to our keeper when 10 yards from their area, that's happened 3 or 4 times, no on willing to beat a man or burst forwards.

Over all we should be 2 nil up, however we all know how it will go, they score straight away in the 2nd half and we crumble.