January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you really think Emery has joined us to scrap and save in the bottom half of the league? 

Would you have if you were offered your highest ever salary over 5 years? 

Just now, DCJonah said:

For numerous reasons. As has been stated, to try and get our top targets in the summer if clubs have asked too much or are reluctant to sell now. 

Or in the case of Delefeou, if injuries have played a part. 

Do you really think it's because we've refused to sign players or we have no plan? 

Perfect example- Sarr would have been a Villa player for around £25m but they’ve just rejected £36m as per @useless’s post above. Madness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Could be worse, I could put my opinion across on the police having to finally give in and admit to 100% ****ing up at Hillborough.

The truth always comes out in the end.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Thanks. You've clearly explained why we will still be able to attract players and why your original post was nonsense. 

Oh dear, we've dropped to that level have we?   Since my point was not about us not being able to attract players, I'm sure I've done nothing of the sort.  My point was about the potential missed opportunity to get top 6 or 7 by not signing players now, nothing to do with whether we can attract them or not.  But by all means you just go ahead and respond to some imaginary comment that better suits your agenda.   

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

"What if's" are about planning for the future and things that can possibly and are likely to happen. The more contingencies you cover in your planning the better prepared you are and the more likely you are to have better outcomes. This is what seperates humans from animals, and successful people from others.

I actually stated about 2 pages before your post that Emery will have thought about a back up plan and will be looking for the midfielders to score more goals with the style of play he is trying to implement.

Still doesn't mean it's not a risk. 

Plus this isn't about wanting transfers, it was about not wanting this one, at least until we had another forward.

Midfielders have scored half the goals under Emery. Striker role under Emery is more about the press. There's no reason Emery couldn't convert a current mid to do that role if required like I've already said other clubs have done with success over the years

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Our best football is always ahead of us, that's the problem.

Fact is, if your not spending, your not achieving f*** all.

I don’t agree with that at all, it’s a fallacy.

You can spend money and not improve the team, we’re trying to improve the team, sometimes we just need to be patient.

• Like 1

I just think there are so many crazy variables in a January window, and I would go back to my tiredly repeated idea that Villa are in an especially weird "middle child" position right now.

We're a new threat to other clubs, but still a joke to some snob agents. We're rich, but not that rich. We're going places, but we still feel the wounds from relegation. We have a great experienced manager, but he's new here. We're full of history, but some will argue that's the problem. 

The Half-Shadowland, I tell you. Which I love, personally, but we will have to find a way into the light, or we'll slip into darkness again. And all that makes the January window a special fiend for clubs like Villa. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Just now, DCJonah said:

So you think he's here for a high wage? 

I mean there's not much point discussing anything if this is your opinion. 

I think the amount we agreed to pay him is one of the reasons he is here, Yes. That’s a given, though, surely?

But your response to the question I asked about ‘how do people know that will do all our business in the summer’, was “why would Emery be here…” I don’t think Emery is only here because we agreed to let him go nuts on transfers in the summer of 2023… 

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Midfielders have scored half the goals under Emery. Striker role under Emery is more about the press. There's no reason Emery couldn't convert a current mid to do that role if required like I've already said other clubs have done with success over the years

Can’t wait to see McGinn has a hybrid high press false 9 🤣

This window was all about clearing the decks. We got a decent fee for Danny Ings who didn’t really fit in with Unai’s style of play. He was on £125k a week. We’d have probably got half of what we got from West Ham in the summer. We’ve also shifted a number of fringe players none of them will be doing the job for free. We had a bloated squad. It’s all well and good having a big squad if it’s packed with quality, £100m players on the bench etc. 

We’ve got the best manager we’ve had in the modern era and brilliant owners. We want to take advantage of this and build something that can make us a top team for years, not just possibly qualify for the Europa League. We may do that anyway if we carry on with our existing squad, which has been doing pretty well now it has a proper coach in charge. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Oh dear, we've dropped to that level have we?   Since my point was not about us not being able to attract players, I'm sure I've done nothing of the sort.  My point was about the potential missed opportunity to get top 6 or 7 by not signing players now, nothing to do with whether we can attract them or not.  But by all means you just go ahead and respond to some imaginary comment that better suits your agenda.   

Your post said that it would be annoying to not get top 6 because of the players we could then sign. 

As I've said, we've managed to sign good players and attract a world class manager without European football. So the idea failing to get top 6, when only months ago relegation was an issue, would be disappointing is utter nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

For numerous reasons. As has been stated, to try and get our top targets in the summer if clubs have asked too much or are reluctant to sell now. 

Or in the case of Delefeou, if injuries have played a part. 

Do you really think it's because we've refused to sign players or we have no plan? 

I have no idea.....But I am prepared to debate possibilities and not just accept convenient views, to make my visit on Saturday compliant.

I will have my disappointment of the January window, firmly, shelved, on Saturday, and only the game will occupy my thoughts, my full support will be unleashed.....but if you think, I am happy, to pass over on a opportunity to make the team better, I am not.

I accept the failure to strengthen the team, with the same irritation as missing a penalty......must do better.

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I just think there are so many crazy variables in a January window, and I would go back to my tiredly repeated idea that Villa are in an especially weird "middle child" position right now.

We're a threat to other clubs, but still a joke to some snob agents. We're rich, but not that rich. We're going places, but we still feel the wounds from relegation. We have a great experienced manager, but he's new here. We're full of history, but some will argue that's the problem. 

The Half-Shadowland, I tell you. Which I love, personally, but we will have to find a way into the light, or we'll slip into darkness again. And all that makes the January window a special fiend.

Maybe we are just a Crystal Palace or Leicester. Maybe that's what the board are happy with now, midtable, makes you think? Since we took 100 mill for Grealish, we haven't really made any statement signings, I doubt we have even spent half the money net.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The funny thing about the what if Watkins scenario is he's not even our most important player. 

If Martinez gets injured we'd be much worse off. But where's the panic to replace Olsen?

This is a fair point - although keepers get injured less.

We didn't deliberately weaken our goalkeeping department this window though. 

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think the amount we agreed to pay him is one of the reasons he is here, Yes. That’s a given, though, surely?

But your response to the question I asked about ‘how do people know that will do all our business in the summer’, was “why would Emery be here…” I don’t think Emery is only here because we agreed to let him go nuts on transfers in the summer of 2023… 

I didn't say go nuts. He's here because we have high expectations for the future. Do you really believe we won't back him to meet them after bringing him in for this reason.