January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Why don’t villa not come out and say no more incoming this window.  Would stop people being tortured with that small fraction of hope.  

I'd be a bit concerned if the people running things at Villa spent deadline day worrying about what fans on the forums think. But maybe we could bring General Krulak back so he could monitor things for the club.

• Like 3

Not sure why people are saying we will pay over the odds in January, those days have gone, its just excuses. Have you not seen the bargains other teams have signed, Trossard being one.

We have missed out, weather this down to the board or Emery, theres no excuses. I also wouldn't be so sure we are gonna blow 50-100 mill in the summer either.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Why do we need Brighton Fulham and Brentford to have a complete meltdown? There is a 3 point gap with almost half a season to play - I think 8th would get us into the europa conference league and is very much achievable 

It’s 7th, and it only applies if the League Cup and FA Cup winners are already qualified for Europe. 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I think the striker market will be insane this summer, will be amazed if we don't break our record to the tune of +£10m on one

But again part of why the striker hunt, which is now starting to feel like that CM we needed to buy for about 3 summers running, isn't annoying me that much is because I genuinely don't see an obvious candidate, glad we didn't get dembele

According to Alex Crook (yes I know he's a knob) on talksport. Dembele was being touted out to everybody, but the list of demands from his agent was putting everyone off.

• Like 1

Pretty uninspiring window all in all.

Some good cleanup work done in terms of getting deadwood out, but disappointing incomings.

Not making a couple of key signings means we likely stay in the 14-11 bracket this season rather than pushing top half.

People will highlight how little the outgoing players played - 9% or some such including Ings, but do the same analysis with Goals rather than minutes and it's a much bigger number.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It’s 7th, and it only applies if the League Cup and FA Cup winners are already qualified for Europe. 

I'm not quite sure on what happens if English teams win the major European trophies, but I don't think there's a scenario where Europa Conference can go down to 8th. 

I might be wrong on that though, it's so ridiculously complicated nowadays I'm sure there's a way.

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Pretty uninspiring window all in all.

Some good cleanup work done in terms of getting deadwood out, but disappointing incomings.

Not making a couple of key signings means we likely stay in the 14-11 bracket this season rather than pushing top half.

People will highlight how little the outgoing players played - 9% or some such including Ings, but do the same analysis with Goals rather than minutes and it's a much bigger number.

Early on in the season when it looked like Gerrard was taking us down, this would have been viewed as success. 

Emery has worked wonders, but let's not forget he's cleaning up Gerrard's mess whilst building his own squad. 

That takes more than one window. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure why people are saying we will pay over the odds in January, those days have gone, its just excuses. Have you not seen the bargains other teams have signed, Trossard being one.

We have missed out, weather this down to the board or Emery, theres no excuses. I also wouldn't be so sure we are gonna blow 50-100 mill in the summer either.

Spitting facts here. Agreed.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Europa conference was 8th place last season - and the likelihood is very much both cups will be won by teams in the top 6 

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I think the striker market will be insane this summer, will be amazed if we don't break our record to the tune of +£10m on one

But again part of why the striker hunt, which is now starting to feel like that CM we needed to buy for about 3 summers running, isn't annoying me that much is because I genuinely don't see an obvious candidate, glad we didn't get dembele

Will be a poor strikers market. The top teams will be fighting over Lautaro who is the biggest name probably available and wouldn't be surprised another classic Morata loan to a big team

On 30/01/2023 at 10:43, TRO said:

I'm not comparing him with JJ, someone else did.

There is 2 ways of looking at foul stats, and some can be unlucky decisions......shows commitment.

Stats are useful, but don't always tell you what you see, watching games.....Its also widely accepted getting called up for England, is a decent endorsement....when you think it took Jack some doing.

I would suspect, that many fans would welcome a Gallagher signing, just not at the expense of Guendouzi.

I can't disagree more. 40+m on someone to sit on the bench?  There'd be war!

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Who are these bargains you refer to? Not doubting Trossard is quality but eve if we were in for him do you think he’d have chosen us over Arsenal?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not quite sure on what happens if English teams win the major European trophies, but I don't think there's a scenario where Europa Conference can go down to 8th. 

I might be wrong on that though, it's so ridiculously complicated nowadays I'm sure there's a way.

Top 4 champions league - 5th place and 2 cup winner europa league - if both cup winners have finished in top 4 then 6th and 7th qualify for europa league and 8th europa conference league 

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I also don’t think it will be any easier to get players in the summer, it may even be harder with the players and positions we’ll be looking at and other clubs interested.

Surprised anyone could honestly think this. Zero chance of deals being more difficult in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I'd think if there is movement regards incomings it'll be a couple of loans, considering that Augustinson and Bednerak loans have been cancelled. Unlikely it seems but you never know with the additional magic hour and you just have to have put the notification form in before midnight.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Early on in the season when it looked like Gerrard was taking us down, this would have been viewed as success. 

Emery has worked wonders, but let's not forget he's cleaning up Gerrard's mess whilst building his own squad. 

That takes more than one window. 

I'm not bemoaning it, I'm happy with 11-14 given the way the season started.

That doesn't eliminate the disappointment of failing to bring in a little more quality that could have seen us competing for 7-10.

Summer will be more important as a result, and needs to be both a big one in terms of outlay and quality.

It was quite obvious the club wanted Guendouzi (club wouldn’t let him go from reports) and Williams (didn’t want to move, at least in this window).

We can go back for both and hopefully have the deals done in the summer, with a new CB and Stiker.

Our best football is still ahead of us.

• Like 1