January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

has anyone discussed Antonio? Think he'd fit our style well, good striker that's also good at drifting wide. Injury problems of course but we have the indestructible Watkins and Duran ready to feature occasionally.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

has anyone discussed Antonio? Think he'd fit our style well, good striker that's also good at drifting wide. Injury problems of course but we have the indestructible Watkins and Duran ready to feature occasionally.

Swapping Ings for Antonio would be peak Villa. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Its not bedwetting. People look at the wording used by the manager and come to a conclusion that we may not sign anyone else.

Wether you consider that a good thing or not is a matter of personal opinion.

Any idea where I can get a business hammock?

12 minutes ago, string28 said:

To me it looks like we are getting rid of the players who are not good enough or not wanted by the manger to make room for the summer. We will be a bit light but i guess it makes us ready for the summer.

Exactly. 

44 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Let's just slam shut the window now and close this thread. ⚰️

Edited by messi11

We always get moody when we don't sign someone every other day but that's not how we do business anymore.  No more squad fillers, just players who will improve the first team.  And when we do sign someone it'll be a name we've hardly (if at all) been linked to.

Keep the faith guys 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.skysports.com/football/live-blog/11095/12476234/transfer-centre-live-all-the-latest-deals-moves-and-rumours-from-the-january-transfer-window

No interest from Coutinho to join Corinthians

Philippe Coutinho has no interest in joining Corinthians this month.

The Brazilian club have wanted to bring him back to his homeland in January.

But the 30-year-old will continue with Aston Villa until at least the end of the season.

Corinthians are expected to maintain their interest into the summer transfer window.

Their president Duilio Monteiro Alves recently stated “the desire is there, but it is a very difficult deal to do”.

Coutinho is still contracted at Villa until 2026.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Transfer windows legit bring out the worst in some of our fans. lol

I feel I’m worse across many threads, I deserve an apology please.  I don’t want to be seen as a dick in just one thread, I broaden my ambitions more than that.

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

For some, it seems football is purely about the transfers. The results seem to be secondary. Once a player signs, he is forgotten about and people move onto the next position that needs 'upgrading'. No interest in seeing existing players improve or being coached better. Just need that hit of a signing like a skag head needs his fix. 

Apologies for the dramatic post - been a tough day! :D 

I understand your point and while some fans might be like that, I’m not.  I see weaknesses in the team that have been there and we’ve all complained about for almost 2 years now and those issues mostly haven’t gone away.  

Emery is an elite coach and making us play above our level at the moment imo after that clown Gerrard.  Emery’s coaching is superb but then there are limits to it with the quality of players we have and we have seen some of those.  This window is an opportunity to add quality and/or options for Emery to use.  We are 3 points from a European place, however unlikely the chance we have of it.

So it’s not about buying a player for the sake of it.  It’s not about getting the current squad playing better or not giving them a chance.  It’s about addressing weaknesses and adding options for Emery, in this opportunity we have called the transfer window.  If no more transfers then that’s fine, it’s a missed opportunity in my mind but sometimes deals don’t happen but we then go forward with the second half of the season and see what we can do.

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They would get nowhere near his wages demands. 

This is it, really. Makes more sense to try and get a tune out of him than take a huge loss at the minute as the squad is light on attackers as it is.