January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wouldn’t bother me one bit if we didn’t ‘replace’ Ings until the summer. Watkins has a really good injury record (he’s fit for tomorrow) and Ings only really plays when he’s not fit. He was a decent enough option but he was always playing second fiddle.

It would bother me.....the myth of Ings fitness against Watkins scoring record troubles me.  We have no 'fox in the box'....relying on willing runners and pressers up front whilst hoping for a few seconds of brilliance from the wing or midfield will win you nothing. Proven time and again unfortunately.....

• Like 1

I think summertime will be interesting for how Emery reshapes the defence. Mings new contract or not will be a big decision and I know moving him on would be an unpopular move given how he's been our best CB for 4+ years now. Crazy he's still only 29 so as a CB he has many years at the top ahead for him. IF we are to get to Europe and compete in the domestic cups we need a big squad and for me Mings and Carlos (if he turns out as good as we hope) are the two from the current group we keep. So potentially Chambers out and a new CB in and we've Mings, Konsa, Carlos, New as the 4 for next season. 

It will be interesting how Carlos is integrated back into the team when he recovers. Does he get mins off the bench or can he displace Konsa in the side? What does Konsa then think this summer if he's lost his place to Carlos and we go sign a new CB for 30mil? 

Konsa has a long contract until 2026 so investment is protected but if he's 4th choice next season how will that impact his value? Still a 25yo CB who has 120+ PL games is a valuable asset for many teams.

If we could get Dembélé & Thuram for a combined £15m or so that would be a pretty nice return for the Ings money. Unlikely we'd be after both perhaps but I'd be all for it since Thuran can also play out wide.

Add in Guendouzi and Pau Torres (in the summer) and we'd be very close to a very good team. 

16 minutes ago, sne said:

If we could get Dembélé & Thuram for a combined £15m or so that would be a pretty nice return for the Ings money. Unlikely we'd be after both perhaps but I'd be all for it since Thuran can also play out wide.

Add in Guendouzi and Pau Torres (in the summer) and we'd be very close to a very good team. 

Would probably be one of Dembele or Thuram.

Hopefully we can sign Guendouzi, Thuram and Deulofeu in this window…

😉

• Like 1

If we can get in Dembele, Deulofeu and Guendouzi in, it would be a success. 

Summer can then be reserved for bigger ticket purchases - Torres maybe? Or a statement centre forward. 

Would we still look at Merino? Or is Guendouzi the alternative?

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

Summer can then be reserved for bigger ticket purchases - Torres maybe? Or a statement centre forward. 

Can’t imagine we’d go for both Guendouzi and Merino unless we are targeting incredible depth

10 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Sterling apparently looking around for a loan and angry he was promised the chance to be #9 then has been stuck on the wing/Chelsea want him off the books. Obviously I know this won’t happen…

Interesting that he says that because to me he is a 9 and potentially a very good one, I think with his movement, anticipation, speed and one touch finishing he could be one of the best tap in merchants in the world

There's 2 problems with it though, firstly based on watching him play for England he can say he wants to be a 9 but at the same time he's hungry to get on the ball miles from goal and its not his game its why he largely looks so poor, secondly same as why we've struggled with Ings we don't play a style of football where we work the ball in to the ball to set a striker up for one touch finishes, he'd be better than Ings because he's more mobile so I do think he'd work and he'd definitely improve us so not one to turn our noses up at but I think we're a good fit rather than a perfect one so as a 6 month loan we're not there yet and I can see him struggling

You can't fault Sterlings workrate or attitude, however whenever he has the time to think, that is when questions arise about his ability for me.when opportunities arise he always makes the wrong decision for me,  he passes  when he should shoot, and vice versa.

Would go all out for Johnson in the summer tbh

8 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

You can't fault Sterlings workrate or attitude, however whenever he has the time to think, that is when questions arise about his ability for me.when opportunities arise he always makes the wrong decision for me,  he passes  when he should shoot, and vice versa.

That's where I am with sterling too, you won't coach it out of him at this stage either, so the answer to me is you change his role and play him as an out and out goal hanging striker where all he can do is one touch finishing and he will be great at it

1 hour ago, Xela said:

If I’m spending 60m on a midfielder no way on earth is it him

7 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Sterling just runs down blind alleys and the loses the ball. It's Englands biggest problem. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole

For me he's the most overrated player in the league

not sure he's the "most overrated" player in the league, but i do agree that he is hugely overrated.

I wouldnt want him in a month of sundays.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's where I am with sterling too, you won't coach it out of him at this stage either, so the answer to me is you change his role and play him as an out and out goal hanging striker where all he can do is one touch finishing and he will be great at it

I think that’s what he was promised at Chelsea to leave City, but then they signed Aubameyang as well - hence the issues.

8 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Sterling just runs down blind alleys and the loses the ball. It's Englands biggest problem. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole

For me he's the most overrated player in the league

He's world class at running really fast into players or falling down even if there is no contact. Would probably get a couple more penalties a season. But since we don't have a penalty taker there is no point really :D 

• Haha 3