January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Merino was discussed on here yesterday and he's reportedly rejected us, despite us being willing to match his release clause. At least that's according to this:

The midfielder we'll be signing is surely Guendouzi though, right? That seems fairly clear to me after reading this thread and Twitter. What I'm not as sure of is who we'll be targeting upfront. I'm hoping it's someone a bit more ambitious than the likes of Danjuma though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

Merino was discussed on here yesterday and he's reportedly rejected us, despite us being willing to match his release clause. At least that's according to this:

The midfielder we'll be signing is surely Guendouzi though, right? That seems fairly clear to me after reading this thread and Twitter. What I'm not as sure of is who we'll be targeting upfront. I'm hoping it's someone a bit more ambitious than the likes of Danjuma though. 

Yeah I cant see us spending €100+ million on two midfielders this window. Are there any serious links to players upfront though? Seems to be pretty quiet on that front.

Our squad is valuable. How many players are worth more than we paid for them.

Significantly more would be, Martinez, Cash, Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Konsa. 

More than we signed would be, Mings, Watkins, Davis, Hause maybe Chambers. 

We've JJ, Tim, Archer, AJ, Hayden as young talents.

Then the older experienced players who weren't signed for sell on value in Ings, Young, Digne, Carlos and new signing Moreno. 

Buendia and Bailey are regular starters who haven't dropped too much in value and Emery improves players so I'm hopeful we'll see better players by end of the season.

Really it's Sanson, Traore, Coutinho, Wesley maybe Nakamba who are left here that haven't made the contributions we wanted and would lose us money.

It's not a bad situation to be in especially if we sign a couple of new players in and around their early to mid 20s this window. 

• Like 4

Do we think it’s one of Guendouzi or Merino or were/are we in for both?

I’d like us to get a CM that can break the lines with decent late runs into the box from deep, akin to a prime Lampard. Is Guendouzi this player, I’m not sure?

Having someone like that would mean we’d have another avenue to break down stubborn teams that are going to defend more than they attack.

Merino is a good player but I’m not to sure how suited he is for the premier league, he’s comfortable in possession and good technically but a bit slow and weak I think the speed of the premier league would be to much for him. I think he could fit in a system somewhere but he’s not what we need currently.  I watched Real Sociedad vs Bilbao Saturday night in terms of breaking the lines and making things happen it was all 37 year old David Silva.

• Like 1

One thing I think we really lack at the moment that was exposed by the Stevenage game is a midfield goal scoring threat from outside the box. Luiz and McGinn have scored some screamers for us over the years but really only bother Row Z these days, while Ramsey does his thing arriving late on the edge. And as for Coutinho...

In fact apart from Luiz scoring direct from corners nearly all our goals from outside the box this season have come from our full backs (Young and Digne).

So teams know they can pack their penalty area and force us to break through, with no longer range concerns (except teams with Lloris in goal, but I guess that's a different mode of scoring...)

I hope it we do bring in a cm he's got a rocket or two in him.

• Like 1

I definitely think we're one of the clubs looking at Danjuma. I don't know whether this is a good thing or not (in Emery we trust etc.).

Does anybody watch much Spanish football on here...is he any good? If so, why isn't he a regular for them!?

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I definitely think we're one of the clubs looking at Danjuma. I don't know whether this is a good thing or not (in Emery we trust etc.).

Does anybody watch much Spanish football on here...is he any good? If so, why isn't he a regular for them!?

I mean, I don't watch spanish football but its pretty obvious why he isn't a regular starter for them atm. 1 non-penalty goal and 0 assists in 10 games this season. And he's competing with Gerard Moreno who has 3 non-penalty goals and 2 assists in 9 games this season.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Seems to have fallen out of favour since Emery left,  scored a few goals last season in la liga and Europe with a record of more or less 1 in 2.  Can play wide or up top. People tend to judge him on his season at Bournemouth which is pointless . He wasn’t a nailed on starter for Villarreal under Emery either I think he could do a job for us rotating with Bailey if it’s a loan there isn’t much to lose.

Edited by gwi1890

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, I don't watch spanish football but its pretty obvious why he isn't a regular starter for them atm. 1 non-penalty goal and 0 assists in 10 games this season. And he's competing with Gerard Moreno who has 3 non-penalty goals and 2 assists in 9 games this season.

Chukweze has 1 in 16 , Pino 2 in 16. Danjuma isn’t an out and out striker like Moreno.

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Chukweze has 1 in 16 , Pino 2 in 16. Danjuma isn’t an out and out striker like Moreno.

Chukweze doesn’t seem like a regular starter for them either whilst Pino plays primarily on the right wing for them. He wouldn’t be competing with Danjuma regardless.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

11 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

My ideal January window would be bringing in Ismaila Sarr to play left wide forward/left winger (he has played most games on the left this season), he is one of the fastest players in England and would give us good options, having him and Bailey on each flank would be a great option. He also seems to be a good character, has good technique and can develop further, is settled in England and used to the PL. Then I would like another option up front, a target player, there Teremi Moffi has really caught my eye, could be a good gamble at 25M. Then I'd like to exchange Sanson and some money for Guendouzi, we would be well equipped with Kamara, Luiz, Guendouzi and big Donk in the middle of the pitch.

To balance the books I wouldn't mind letting Cash go, I think Young and Konsa/Chambers could do a job there until the summer. If needed I could let Ings go as well, though I'd prefer him to stay. Bednarek could also return, with Carlos coming back and Chambers or even big Donk we have cover there. It's also time to let Nakamba get some more playing time at another club. We do need another back up keeper as well, but also that can wait to the summer.

That would make us well balanced with plenty of options, but at the same time not stock piling players, but giving everyone some playing time and keep them happy.

Martinez/Olsen as GK. Mings, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers and big Donk as CB. Digne and Moreno as LB. Young and Konsa/Chambers as RB. Kamara, Luiz, Guendouzi and big Donk as CM. Ramsey and McGinn as the forward midfielders if we play 4-2-2-2. Sarr and Bailey on the flanks if we play 4-2-3-1. Buendia and Coutinho as no 10 (or the further midfielders in the 4-2-2-2 or inside forwards in the 4-2-3-1. Then Watkins, Moffi and Ings as strikers.

I guess it would be about 25M for Sarr, 25M for Moffi and perhaps 15M + Sanson for Guendouzi. Say we can get 20M for Cash, 5M for Nakamba and save some wages on Bednarek and if needed also on Ings. If someone would be willing to take Coutinho on his wages, I would let him go as well.

Moffi we are thinking like the lower end clubs and sarr just has speed we need clinically decisive players that are also more consistent , performing at a high standard weekly and sarr is not quite that player we need to think of higher calibre players now, when you see the likes of newcastle being linked with the likes of moussa diaby then we would be falling way behind with targets like Danjuma and Sarr

54 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Merino is a good player but I’m not to sure how suited he is for the premier league, he’s comfortable in possession and good technically but a bit slow and weak I think the speed of the premier league would be to much for him. I think he could fit in a system somewhere but he’s not what we need currently.  I watched Real Sociedad vs Bilbao Saturday night in terms of breaking the lines and making things happen it was all 37 year old David Silva.

You're probably right but some people want new shiny thing until they come and don't live up to hype then new player to shit on. 

Some wanted rid of Luiz a while back and personally after last 3 games I'm looking forward to Mcginn return

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Moffi we are thinking like the lower end clubs and sarr just has speed we need clinically decisive players that are also more consistent , performing at a high standard weekly and sarr is not quite that player we need to think of higher calibre players now, when you see the likes of newcastle being linked with the likes of moussa diaby then we would be falling way behind with targets like Danjuma and Sarr

We need players who fit what Emery wants to do.

Sarr could be a way better fit than Diaby, even if Diaby is a much flashier name (just theorizing, not saying Sarr is a better fit).

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Guendouzi ticks all the boxes for me for a CM role.

Only 23, has PL experience and has also played alongside Kamara for Marseille. He is also an internal for France and has played in the Champions League this season.

If the rumoured £30m-£35m fee is true, it's a no brainer.

Apart from age, it does worry that we were saying similar things about Sanson at the time.  I’m not saying it’s wrong but once burnt, second time shy.

None of them are they rotate often. Under Emery last season Danjuma started 7 games as a left winger and 10 as centre forward in la liga and scored 10 goals. Like I posted earlier he would be coming into compete with Bailey . As for his Bournemouth form that has everybody rattled he only played up front 3 times for them. Emery did to him what he’s doing to Leon Bailey now.

• Like 1