January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more movement in the market in general considering there was so much downtime during the World Cup.  I'd have thought we could have got one wide forward in straight away.

Looking forward to getting Adama Traore and Adam Armstrong in on loan on deadline day.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more movement in the market in general considering there was so much downtime during the World Cup.  I'd have thought we could have got one wide forward in straight away.

I wonder if we were really trying for Joao Felix and he decided against it when the bigger boys started showing an interest so we’ve had to move down our shopping list.

Some of these players might seem unlikey and it probably won't be those players that we specifically sign, but if we want to improve we need to sign players that are a clear and obvious upgrade on what we already have. We need more players of the quality of Kamara and Martinez. A few with a similar profile to Ramsey wouldn't do us any harm either.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:
  • Ings looks like a formerly world class striker now in his late 40's - he can finish, his instinct is there - but he can't run, there's no urgency and he contributes nothing but the occasional finish

:crylaugh:Fantastic 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Day 8 no signings. One man called it. 

We have wasted a lot of money on shit that's cost lots and will do so on wages for 3+ years. 

Coutinho 

Digne 

Bailey 

Buendia 

Olsen 

Sanson

This means limited wiggle room financially. And its all the club's previous disgraceful recruitment to blame.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

We have wasted a lot of money on shit that's cost lots and will do so on wages for 3+ years. 

Coutinho 

Digne 

Bailey 

Buendia 

Olsen 

Sanson

This means limited wiggle room financially. And its all the club's previous disgraceful recruitment to blame.

Yup some stinkers right there...

All high earners too, and we think we are well run?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Said before En-Nesyri fits into that profile, look at how he scored v Portugal in the world cup and he has had decent scoring seasons in La Liga and still mid 20s.

He's worth a go as we're not really good at finding breakthrough players in early 20s compared to many other clubs. At least with Kamara we've shown we can pick up a developing player in 23-25 age bracket so that's probably the best bet for upfront unless we just replace Ings with another experienced striker.

He has had one decent season in La Liga when he hit double figures. Scored 5 last season and 0 this season

He doesn't even get assists

Edited by Zatman

2 hours ago, useless said:

My shopping list

Pau Torres
Denzel Dumfries
Álex Moreno
Yunus Musah
Alberto Moleiro
João Félix
Samuel Chukwueze
Victor Osimhen

As a Napoli fan it's my duty to inform you that Villa can't afford to pay for Osimhen. 😁

My tin hat is firmly on......Not got good vibes about this window.

I was left, bemused last window after Kamara and Carlos....The silence was deafening, then we had the MO'N syndrome with Olsen, Augustinsson,Bednarek and Dendoncker....just not typically us, that.

Oh well, just have to cross my fingers.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Squad-wise, I think up front is now our problem area by a distance.

Last week we had Watkins and Bailey as starters and Ings and Archer as back ups.

• Watkins can do everything well, he brings enormous energy, strength, pace and athleticism, but he can't score goals and his touch is a lottery.
  • Bailey isn't really a centre forward and his end product is patchy at the best of times - at the moment his confidence is in the gutter and he's making himself worse by playing.
  • Ings looks like a formerly world class striker now in his late 40's - he can finish, his instinct is there - but he can't run, there's no urgency and he contributes nothing but the occasional finish
  • Archer has gone out on loan to the Championship and in fairness, that might be where he spends his career.

I think over the next two year we'll need to replace all of them - but we absolutely desperately need one or two in this window. 

Watkins is our best by a mile, Ings can be a useful sub late in games and Bailey needs a break. We need one just for the numbers and really, I'd want us to go out and get a pair, this month.

perhaps we can get a BOGOF.....and add a couple of players who can defend too.

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Said before En-Nesyri fits into that profile, look at how he scored v Portugal in the world cup and he has had decent scoring seasons in La Liga and still mid 20s.

He's worth a go as we're not really good at finding breakthrough players in early 20s compared to many other clubs. At least with Kamara we've shown we can pick up a developing player in 23-25 age bracket so that's probably the best bet for upfront unless we just replace Ings with another experienced striker.

Mate, I’m looking at this guys stats now and he has the stat profile of a poacher except he doesn’t even score goals most seasons. Can’t pass, can’t create, can’t assist, can’t dribble, can’t finish and never even touches the ball.

If we are serious, and it will be over 2 or 3 transfer windows but I can see improvements bring made in,

LB

RB

CB

CM

LW

RW

ST

I'm really not joking either, if the owners are serious I can see a huge overall, we won't sell every player some will accept the competition and be happy to stay. 

We need improvements in nearly every position in the next 18 months