Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

We have to see it as an amazing opportunity, look at what Mourinho has done to plot his way to the europa league final by winning the conference league. Emery will be equally capable and has the experience to be able to match that achievement. If we get that win on sunday then there is a very real chance this time next year we could be on the verge of champions league football, we have the squad and the manager to do it, now we just have to go out on the hallowed villa park turf once more this season and go out there and play our game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

It's no real distraction, not as many games as with the real Europa League cup, this is why it's better for next season, get us warmed up for the big one.

I'm pretty sure it is the same format as the Europa League, so the same number of games. As the level of opposition isn't that great we would probably go far, which would add to the fixture congestion later on the season. 

36 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

We have to see it as an amazing opportunity, look at what Mourinho has done to plot his way to the europa league final by winning the conference league. Emery will be equally capable and has the experience to be able to match that achievement. If we get that win on sunday then there is a very real chance this time next year we could be on the verge of champions league football, we have the squad and the manager to do it, now we just have to go out on the hallowed villa park turf once more this season and go out there and play our game

I think we'll qualify through the league next season if there are 5 places up for grabs. No need to wait an extra year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's no real distraction, not as many games as with the real Europa League cup, this is why it's better for next season, get us warmed up for the big one.

What for the champions league yeah I suppose so 😝 pains me actually that newcastle will be playing in that next season

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Why? He would be saying the opposite if they qualified for conference instead. 

Yeah probably so but he said what he said, little brighton too good for conference league ayy who woulda thought 😕

52 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Yeah probably so but he said what he said, little brighton too good for conference league ayy who woulda thought 😕

Yeah see what he says when he loses key players in the summer and while they have a big pot of cash and some great young talent they end up 11th next season.  How many smaller teams keep repeating previous seasons impressive displays…it can happen for a season or two but they tend to fall away at some point hence why we have the Sky6 and with Newcastle around and hopefully us progressing, smaller clubs will struggle to compete regularly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m all in for the Conference League. If we don’t make it now, given the run we’ve been on, I’m going to be gutted, especially considering how poor Spurs have been and how much their own fans hate them. 

Like others have said, I don’t think we can trust Leeds to get a result against Spurs. They’re a god awful side and I’d back Kane to get a couple against them given his form. We’re going to have to go and beat Brighton at VP which we will if we play like we did against Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle and United at home to name but a few. 

Can’t believe now nervous I am. Especially having found out the Athens flight is non-refundable. 

I wouldn’t be surprise if it’s at least a draw. Leeds at home, crowd will be mad, it has a big Sam relegation escape written all over it imo.  

I know a bit presumptuous at this stage, but am I right in thinking of we were to qualify and get to the final we would play 11 conference games? Not too many games. Challenge will be the distraction from the weekend league games. If anybody can navigate it Emery can. 

15 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

I know a bit presumptuous at this stage, but am I right in thinking of we were to qualify and get to the final we would play 11 conference games? Not too many games. Challenge will be the distraction from the weekend league games. If anybody can navigate it Emery can. 

I tried to have a look at the format and didn’t really understand it so thought I would only bother trying again if we actually qualify. I do think we would go in at a later stage than a big chunk of other teams though.

14 hours ago, Steero113 said:

We're a better side than Brighton. That's a fact since Unai arrived. 

We don't need them to take it easy on us. 

They can play their full strength 11 and we should still beat them. It's down to us. 

I think we’re going to give them a spanking

4 hours ago, Villa87 said:

The final would be West Ham’s 15th game in the competition. For Fiorentina it will be the 17th game, since they came second in the group stage and had to play two extra matches in a knockout round.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

The final would be West Ham’s 15th game in the competition. For Fiorentina it will be the 17th game, since they came second in the group stage and had to play two extra matches in a knockout round.

The option to play our youth team in the league and fa Cups to save some first team legs is on the cards if we qualify...

Issue with that is we barely play any games in those competitions anyway, so doesnt actually save us anything versus our last few seasons.

You'd also think we'd be signing an extra couple of players and holding on to a couple we might otherwise sell.  But that's going to be pretty limiting to accommodate a real push in it if we have to sign extra players as a result.

Be very interesting to see how we handle it.

As a very aged supporter (65 next month!) of the Villa, having seen a few "ups" but more "downs" over the 55 years I have been able to see them play. I am still not counting my chickens until the final whistle next week.

It concerns me that many are assuming that we will win as Brighton will be on the beach (well it is literally all the time I suppose!). We still have to win and Brighton are a good team. I will not be able to look forward to any European adventures until we are at least 4 nil up with 1 minute to play....

All this talk of where the final is going to be etc I know is just banter but it could all come back and bite us in the arse....it would be the typical "Villa way"...I have seen it so many times..... 1 nil up and they equalise in the last minute of the game...........and we lose out due to results elsewhere.

Am I alone in thinking that its not going to be an easy game against Brighton?.......

VTID

• Like 2