Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Perhaps I can clear things up a bit.

If Man Utd finish 5th AND win the fa cup vs city then 7th gets nothing.

otherwise 7th is conference and 5/6 is Europa.

No.

If ManU win the FA Cup and finish 5th or 6th, it will be as normal; 5/6 in Europe and 7 in Conference.

If ManU win the FA Cup and finish 7th or below, it will be 5 in Europe + ManU and 6 in Conference.

You maybe thinking of the rule that state if the winner of the Europa League also qualify to the Europa League through the domestic completions, the number of Europe League qualifying spots are reduced by one. Good news is that ManU lost their quarter final in Europa League, so that isn’t going to be an issue this season.

Before anybody asks about West Ham, they can win the Conference League, but there is no chance they can climb up the league and get 7th (or win the League Cup)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Do you guys think I'm a bad person if I'd rather Villa NOT play in the Europa Conference next season?

Yes

But then I already thought you were a bad person because I Know What You Did last Summer

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Do you guys think I'm a bad person if I'd rather Villa NOT play in the Europa Conference next season?

It's like hoping your kid fails their football practice so you don't have to be watching them play on a field on a cold wet Sunday morning.

I get it, but it's not cool. 

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

But why not?

The only downside for me is that fans attending games will have to do it on a Sunday afternoon and the atmosphere will be flat because of it

Everything else surrounding it is a myth and fortunately I think we have a manager who will see through it

I think it would be better than the europa league... We could play more youth players and have a genuine chance of winning the conference league... I know that's arrogance but I also think it's the truth, we could play Tim and AJ in group games and still go on to win the whole thing

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

I just want us to win a trophy. Any trophy. The Conference League gives us the best chance to do that. It’s been far too long and maybe we could use it as a stepping stone to bigger things. Also I don’t think The Conference League would be as disruptive to our league campaign because you could get away with resting players until the latter stages. 

• Like 1

This may have been answered already, but what happens if West Ham win the Conference League?   They'll get a Europa League spot for winning it, does that count as an additional spot or take the one away from 6th?

4 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

This may have been answered already, but what happens if West Ham win the Conference League?   They'll get a Europa League spot for winning it, does that count as an additional spot or take the one away from 6th?

Additional I think. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Same amount of points with the team we're competing with for Europe. Yet when we lost to Wolves it was "delusional' for anyone to think we were still in with a shout for Europa League. 

Scenes.

Well its still very difficult don we dont help ourselves.  Even a point there would have been massive 

17 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Has no relevance. They will have earned it. Doesn't take away from the seedings

Edited by Kiwivillan

Thinking about it ECL isn't the worst thing to qualify for. We'll have easier European games so no need to field first team. Also we would be one of the top favourites to win it. Winning would guarantee Europa League as Top 6 in Premier League is very competitive and even then no guarantee a top 6 team wins the FA Cup. 

I still think it's very difficult with Brighton needing just 2 points from their 3 tough games. That means we need something from Liverpool assuming Brighton have easy 3 at home to Southampton.

That late Kane penalty could be the most costly. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is correct for this season but our merit award will be significantly improved from last season. It’s all healthy for the balance sheet:

Merit Share Total Prize Money
1st £38m £115m + Facilities Payment
2nd £36m £113m + Facilities Payment
3rd £34m £111m + Facilities Payment
4th £32m £109m + Facilities Payment
5th £30m £107m + Facilities Payment
6th £28m £105m + Facilities Payment
7th £27m £104m + Facilities Payment
8th £24m £101m + Facilities Payment
9th £23m £100m + Facilities Payment
10th £21m £98m + Facilities Payment
11th £19m £96m + Facilities Payment
12th £17m £94m + Facilities Payment
13th £15m £92m + Facilities Payment
14th £13m £90m + Facilities Payment
15th £11m £88m + Facilities Payment
16th £10m £87m + Facilities Payment
17th £8.5m £85.5m + Facilities Payment
18th £6m £83m + Facilities Payment
19th £4m £81m + Facilities Payment
20th £2.5m £79.5m + Facilities Payment

I hate the conference league. It's been introduced as a chance to give clubs from smaller countries the chance to enjoy longer European campaigns, which is fine..but when they are putting finals in 20k stadiums like  Albania last yr and Prague this year that alone makes it clear big clubs have no business being in it.

I have no problem with the concept of a Europa league for weaker nations but then when you  have Roma v Feyenoord playing a final in a shed probably getting 7k fans each at best it's not fit for purpose. Ofc I know they want these big teams to prop things up and bring interest for tv etc.

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

Perhaps I can clear things up a bit.

If Man Utd finish 5th AND win the fa cup vs city then 7th gets nothing.

otherwise 7th is conference and 5/6 is Europa.

No. You’ve got that completely wrong actually.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But why not?

The only downside for me is that fans attending games will have to do it on a Sunday afternoon and the atmosphere will be flat because of it

Everything else surrounding it is a myth and fortunately I think we have a manager who will see through it

I think it would be better than the europa league... We could play more youth players and have a genuine chance of winning the conference league... I know that's arrogance but I also think it's the truth, we could play Tim and AJ in group games and still go on to win the whole thing

I don't doubt we could win that Conference League but we will need to play more than the kids to do so. It's damaged West Ham this season in the Premier League. 

It would give us a better platform to sign players and also get fringe players games, which would keep them happy. 

Looking at the table, unless Spurs win big next weekend and we get smashed at Anfield, we go into the final game still with a chance of Europe. 

What a flipping turnaround from October, whst an achievement. 

Conf league prize money 

Qualified to Group Stage: €2,940,000

Match won in Group Stage: €500,000
Match drawn in Group Stage: €166,000
1st in Group Stage: €650,000
2nd in Group Stage: €325,000
Round of 16: €600,000
Quarter-final: €1,000,000
Semi-final: €2,000,000
Runner-up: €3,000,000
Champion: €5,000,000
So winning it, assuming you topped your group with 4 wins, two draws in the group gets you about  EUR 15mill add additional gate receipts for 6 home games, say a EUR 1.5 million a game could be worth about about EUR 24 mill?

EDIT : it actually pays quite well compared to the Europa league:

Europa League prize money

A victory in the group pays €630,000 and a draw €210,000. 

Qualified to group stage: €3,630,000

Match won in group stage: €630,000

Match drawn in group stage: €210,000

1st in group stage: €1,100,000

2nd in group stage: €550,000

Round of 16: €1,200,000

Quarter-final: €1,800,000

Semi-final: €2,800,000

Runner-up: €4,600,000

Champion: €8,600,000

Rough math but I'd say winning the Europa league with a group win 3 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss in the group ( a lot harder to achieve) would get you maybe about EUR 23 mill so + same gate receipts = 32 mill + obviously champions league next season. When you consider only getting to the semis (which is a hell of an achievement) brings that down to 26.2mill you can see why from the clubs point of view the conf league is attractive. 

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 3