Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Round and round it goes. It's utterly disappointing. But for a few weeks, we all got to experience what it was like not to have "Villa" be a byword for ****ing it up at a pivotal moment.

I got a real taste of it, you know, and it tasted just about as good as, well ... and all I know now is that I want more more more ...
giphy.gif

And yes, I mean gravy ...

Edited by Marka Ragnos

30 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It’s over and lock the thread when it’s still in our own hands.

Eh? I’m confused, did you mean “unlock” instead of “lock” or what? 

Edited by nick76

Emery is managing what he has heroically.

But our lack of depth and options is making us too predictable, mark/get contact Buendia every opportunity and stick two markers on Watkin's and close down Moreno and we are done.

I can see why Emery played Traore instead of Dendoncker, but it unbalanced our midfield and Bert didn't do much, neither did Bailey.

JJ and McGinn don't do enough when it matters most (on current form) and subs really late in the day when we are losing rarely make much impact. 

I would like to see Duran and Carlos used from the start next game, put Konsa at right back, rest JJ or McGinn. Maybe even start Coutinho instead of Buendia.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

People who were saying last week that catching United would have been impossible even if we beat them, we'd be level on points with them right now if we did that and beaten Wolves. It wasn't impossible, and neither is it now to get 6th or 7th. At least 7th is in our own hands whereas the former wasn't.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Beat Spurs = Europe 

Not necessarily.

They have better goal difference so even if we manage to beat them it would still be in their hands.

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Imagine if Emery had had those 13 games we had to suffer under Gerrard. 

Even if he'd only got 10 points more from them we'd be solidly in the top 4.

Oh gawd. Hello darkness my old friend.

But bodes well next season. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, andym said:

Spot on.

I've seen a few posts on about mental weakness, bottling it, and as ever when we lose a game it's because of lacking passion or 'getting bullied'.

Not being able to maintain top 4 form is not being mentally weak, its simply reverting to our level, which imo is challenging for top 6 (now we have a competent manager).

Since the 4-2 loss to Arsenal on Feb 18th (which meant 11 conceded in 3 games) we've turned it around to only let in 5 goals in 12 games. 10 games unbeaten run, record consecutive scoring run; that's pretty good mental strength to me, as well as being robust physically.

The biggest thing for me now is that in general, even in games we think we have performed below average in, we are still dominating, or at least not being dominated, in terms of possession and chances. Thats what you need to make the step up. 

We know we need more options in the final 3rd to more consistently take advantage of our greater control in games, which hopefully will be sorted this summer.

We have maintained top 4 form though really, you were right in it needing title winning form, we haven't quite managed that but the people on the moan about us being shit all of a sudden are a bit much. Essentially they're upset we haven't managed to get into the Europa league, which ignores all the positives of the unbelievable run we've been on to even get in that position from where we were.

It's not just starting the run from 16th/17th either, it's going on that run starting out with a group of players that looked entirely shambolic for a year under Gerrard. That same group has been taken on a run that averages 2ppg, that run took us to the edges of qualifying for Europe (still not out of reach BTW). You have to ignore all of that to be whining about us bottling it or being weak etc. Weak teams do not average 2ppg in the Premier League, they just don't. The bold part underlines this point we've gone from being afraid of the ball and a complete inability to keep it, to even when losing away having 60% of the ball and making more chances. Losing is never nice, but losing and not even having enough control of the ball to make a chance, and losing having bossed posession and made chances are two very different situations. 

• Like 2

Clutching at some seriously invisible straws here. But if City actually did get some kind of punishment for the many years of flagrant cheating (don’t laugh 😂). Would that potentially open up another European spot? 

22 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not necessarily.

They have better goal difference so even if we manage to beat them it would still be in their hands.

Not if we beat that 4-0! I love it when a plan comes together!

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Clutching at some seriously invisible straws here. But if City actually did get some kind of punishment for the many years of flagrant cheating (don’t laugh 😂). Would that potentially open up another European spot? 

Oh you, you little sausage

I think we all know the punishment for City will be a massive 50p fine and a 'now don't you be naughty again' type slap on the wrists

• Like 1

1 minute ago, picicata said:

Oh you, you little sausage

I think we all know the punishment for City will be a massive 50p fine and a 'now don't you be naughty again' type slap on the wrists

With an extra billion or two on their ffp headroom.  ‘Boys will be boys’ and all that…

I know it’s been a couple of disappointing weeks but if we beat Spurs on Saturday, this race is very much still on. Liverpool are very beatable at home and Brighton will be on their last legs come the last day of the season. We can still do this.

For perspective, people were still talking about us potentially getting relegated as recently as mid Feb. We have three games to go and a reasonable shot at Europe. We’d all have taken that after we lost to Arsenal in Feb. Villa Park will be rocking on Saturday and I think we’ll get the three points.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Not necessarily.

Depends, if we beat them 2-0 we’ll be level on GD and I think we’ve scored more than them. Let’s stick 6 past them to be sure.