Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes you make very good points. It would be huge progress for us to be in that and a stepping stone to better things 

Hopefully we can play there next season.

When did West Ham begin their games this season? Were they in group stages?

40 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And they've got to cram them all into the 5 weeks before we play then on the final day. And they're not easy fixtures.

If Brighton qualify after that run, then hats off to them. I feel the fixture congestion for Brighton gives us a great chance, points on the board at this time of year are always important.

We just need manage our own business, and not worry about what others do now.   We have a tough run, but if we take care of ourselves then we hopefully take points away from our competitors for those positions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The team from England doesn’t go straight into the group stage (like with the Champions or Europa League). Instead it will first go into a play-off, playing some team home and away. If it wins, it then goes to the group. So it’s possible for the League Cup winners/7th in the league team to only play 2 games and get knocked out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t understand why some people don’t want the Conference League? For me I guess it’s the best one to go to, and could have a good chance to win it. We haven’t win something for almost 30 years. It also has less games than Europa which has some good teams, added to teams coming from CL. I won’t say no to it ofcourse, but Conference league is still interesting. Could give us a chance to adjust the squad aswell.

Nice sentiment - not to shit on it, but isn't the Conference League just the Interjoko Cup? (In the same way the Europa League is just a reformed UEFA Cup)?

In which case, well, we won the Intertoto before and nobody gave a shit.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

They had a two legged play off in August then the six game group stage up to World cup (that would be early December in normal season). Then last 16 in mid March.

Think nowadays if you win your group in europa competition you can skip a knock out round, that certainly happens in europa league as Man. United had to play Barca given they finished 2nd in their group.

Just now, VillaChris said:

They had a two legged play off in August then the six game group stage up to World cup (that would be early December in normal season). Then last 16 in mid March.

Think nowadays if you win your group in europa competition you can skip a knock out round, that certainly happens in europa league as Man. United had to play Barca given they finished 2nd in their group.

It’s the same in the Conference, group winners skip one play-off stage and the runners-up play some team knocked out of Europa. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t understand why some people don’t want the Conference League? For me I guess it’s the best one to go to, and could have a good chance to win it. We haven’t win something for almost 30 years. It also has less games than Europa which has some good teams, added to teams coming from CL. I won’t say no to it ofcourse, but Conference league is still interesting. Could give us a chance to adjust the squad aswell.

Mate I'm ready to go to Azerbaijan in August! 

🤣

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I'm of two minds on it. Didn't know it was fewer games, that could sway me. Feels weird to thumb our noses at a European tournament too. It could be a good way to get our bench players playing time., especially in early rounds.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

AZ from the Netherlands were in a cool group this season. They played Dnipro-1 in the Ukraine, Apollon Limassol in Cyprus and Vaduz in Armenia.

Vaduz is in Liechtenstein 😉

43 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Nice sentiment - not to shit on it, but isn't the Conference League just the Interjoko Cup? (In the same way the Europa League is just a reformed UEFA Cup)?

In which case, well, we won the Intertoto before and nobody gave a shit.......

The intertoto cup was a pre season qualification tournament for the uefa cup. Three teams 'won' it every year and then qualified for the uefa cup. The conference league is a full tournament, just a level down from the europa league. It's completely different

If we beat Fulham on Tuesday it's effectively then a four team mini-league for 5-8th, with only the bottom team not getting into Europe.

Us, Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton..

If you could go back to the end of October and tell any Villa fan that this is how the season ends, they'd laugh in your face.

• Like 3