Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's hard to get out of death spiral which Spurs have been in for weeks if not longer

My worry is they sack Stellini and get someone like Redknapp.  Who will probably scrape a couple of wins and get them over the line.

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

Gosh I'd love to see an Emery masterclass Vs 'Arry

You'd love it a lot.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

Any chance you want to see an Emery masterclass Vs 'Arry?

Spurs cobbling together home results and Liverpool surging to the end I think are our biggest competitors.

Yes - Brighton have 3 games in hand but they have to play 9 matches in 30 days - and each one a tough opponent even though they face Everton and Southampton - who are both fighting to avoid relegation. A brutal stretch for them starts on May 14 with Arsenal/Newcastle/Everton/City/Villa with only 3 or 4 days in between each of the matches. Would it surprise me if De Zerbi went with a rotation squad against City? Considerations have to be made there.

After this week, we only have 1 match a week and we'll have no excuses and should physically be up for it every single match until the end.

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Spurs cobbling together home results and Liverpool surging to the end I think are our biggest competitors.

Yes - Brighton have 3 games in hand but they have to play 9 matches in 30 days - and each one a tough opponent even though they face Everton and Southampton - who are both fighting to avoid relegation. A brutal stretch for them starts on May 14 with Arsenal/Newcastle/Everton/City/Villa with only 3 or 4 days in between each of the matches. Would it surprise me if De Zerbi went with a rotation squad against City? Considerations have to be made there.

After this week, we only have 1 match a week and we'll have no excuses and should physically be up for it every single match until the end.

The squad is threadbare at the minute, really need a few back and fit for the run in.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

The squad is threadbare at the minute, really need a few back and fit for the run in.

It is thin but I don't think any thinner than Brighton's bench against United. Tinfoil but I think they are being precautious with Bailey/Cash/Kamara until after the United game - targeting the Wolves return if they're all fit.

• Like 1

If Brighton can get enough wins to clinch 5th or 6th, with their fixtures, then they absolutely deserve it and I wouldn't even be disappointed. They are a great side, and that would just solidify it.

But my head tells me we should get 5th or 6th if we keep up our form. I don't see us finishing below Spurs, and if we win or draw at Anfield we have a pretty good shot at finishing above Liverpool as well.

• Like 2

Spurs sacking Stellini is annoying. They won't be quite as a shambles under Mason. 

The Fulham game is so important. Fail to win that and unfortunately I'll probably start to lose some hope as I think we'll drop off. 

52 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Just waiting for them to beat United now.

Spurs beating ManU and us beating Fulham and ManU, and suddenly we are 2 points from 4th.

Too bad it requires spurs to beat somebody, not going to happen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Spurs sacking Stellini is annoying. They won't be quite as a shambles under Mason. 

The Fulham game is so important. Fail to win that and unfortunately I'll probably start to lose some hope as I think we'll drop off. 

How so?

55 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

How so?

He didn't do too bad after coming in after Mourinho was sacked. He had them more attacking and they were dispatching the lesser teams which they seem to be struggling with now. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He didn't do too bad after coming in after Mourinho was sacked. He had them more attacking and they were dispatching the lesser teams which they seem to be struggling with now. 

We beat them pretty comfortably in that run in and we were in poor form at the time.

I did wonder whether they might get their main target in just to run the rule over the squad but Mason just caretaker shouldn't lift their levels up that much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

They already had a solid defensive structure under Jose and were pretty well drilled already, making them more attacking was relatively simple with little trade-off. This time the job is much more complicated: their defense is significantly worse and any resemblance of structure has vanished since Conte left. They switched to a back 4 against Newcastle, looked comically undrilled, and the rest is history. Plus, Mason was the assistant to Stellini. I'm not sure this is an easy fix, and the chopping and changing of interim managers surely can't be helping the chaos and confusion. I really hope that they continue this awful losing streak, would make our 50-50 run for Europe a loooot easier...

And can we make sure we know whether we're in Europe before the final game of the season, please? After the playoff final and West Ham in 19/20, I don't think my heart or my body is prepared to go through that again.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

And can we make sure we know whether we're in Europe before the final game of the season, please? After the playoff final and West Ham in 19/20, I don't think my heart or my body is prepared to go through that again.

Imagine the excitement the final day when you’re sitting there with one ticket to Sevilla, one to Azerbaijan and one tram ticket to Wolverhampton.

• Haha 3