Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

9 hours ago, duke313 said:

We need to just just forget about what other teams are doing, would drive you mad.

Lets just go out and completely smash Brentford.

And Fulham, and Man U, and Wolves, and Tottenham, and Liverpool, and Brighton

• Like 3

Klopps just trying to gee up his players now they have something positive to work from - at the end of the day it was relegation bound Leeds, not dare I say 3rd place NUFC. They'll still finish strong though - as others have said I think 6th will be our prize if we work for it.

54 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Liverpool are now scary after that win against Leeds. 

Liverpool have some excellent attacking players, Leeds have some terrible defenders.

Liverpool are capable of beating anyone but they're also inconsistent. I suspect they will finish above us but considering we gave them a 11 game headstart to be this close is amazing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

They may not have an easier game this season and all of next

They may not, but they still look like they're getting back to something like their form. They were unlucky not to beat Arsenal too. I think we can safely assume they're going to be on CL form for the run-in. Game in hand is home to Flum so that's us 7th. We just need to keep doing what we're doing and let's see where the cards lie. Hopefully Pool still have a few clangers left in them this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Liverpool are now scary after that win against Leeds. 

It's handy when the opposition don't want to make any saves, Liverpool scored 6 goals with 7 shots on target. They aren't going to get that lucky every game, it's not "sustainable" 🤣

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BOF said:

They may not, but they still look like they're getting back to something like their form. They were unlucky not to beat Arsenal too. I think we can safely assume they're going to be on CL form for the run-in. Game in hand is home to Flum so that's us 7th. We just need to keep doing what we're doing and let's see where the cards lie. Hopefully Pool still have a few clangers left in them this season.

Why 7th? With Liverpool getting all their attacking players back I think they will have a good run of form to probably finish 5th but Villa are more then capable of finishing 6th. 

Spurs are dropping off, I expect them to lose to Newcastle, they then have Man Utd and Liverpool at Anfield. I think Villa will be above them by the time they play Man Utd next Thursday. 

Brighton are a very good side but they have got alot of games to squeeze in and they have a small squad. Still have Arsenal and Man City to play too. 

Maybe if Brentford win the weekend they might fancy a late run but I think top 6 is realistic atm. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichW said:

Why 7th? 

Because we're currently 6th and if they go above us we go 7th. That's all I meant. Doesn't mean we finish there.

Sorry I know it's probably already been discussed but is my understanding right:

- If a top 5 team win the FA Cup then 7th gets Conference League

- If an English team win the Champs League then 8th can get Conference

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Sorry I know it's probably already been discussed but is my understanding right:

Makes me feel dirty wanting other teams to be successful.

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

8th never get Europe. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

If that's right, then if man cheating were to win the CL and that means we bag a European place then it's a bitter pill to swallow but I would take it.....no one cares about that lot anyway

Sorry just read the rules on https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

UEFA Champions League (UCL) qualification

In normal circumstances, four UCL places are given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria:

• The top four teams in the Premier League qualify for the group stage proper.
UEFA Europa League (UEL) qualification

In normal circumstances, two UEL places are given to English clubs who fulfil the following criteria:

• The fifth-placed team in the Premier League qualify for the group stage proper.
  • The winners of the FA Cup qualify for the group stage proper.
UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL) qualification
  • The EFL Cup winners qualify for the playoff stages.

Top eight

Pos Team Pl GD Pts
1  t3.pngARS 31 +43 74
2  t43.pngMCI 30 +50 70
3  t1.pngMUN 30 +9 59
4  t4.pngNEW 30 +24 56
5  t6.pngTOT 31 +12 53
6  t7.pngAVL 31 +4 50
7  t36.pngBHA 29 +17 49
8  t14.pngLIV 30 +20 47
View More
Where these qualifications changes

a) If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League, their UEL group stage place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

b) If the EFL Cup winners finish in the top five of the Premier League (or top six if (a) happens), their UECL playoff place will go to the next-highest ranked team not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League.

Looking at Brighton's fixtures. They have 5 games in 20 days coming up but more importantly they will have to play their last 5 games in the space of two weeks. Games against Arsenal, Newcastle, Man City and Us in that final two weeks. If they come out of that any higher than 7th then they bloody deserve it.

• Like 1