Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

4 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

If they win 3 of those games - they get to 62 points. Meaning we need at least 4 wins and a draw to be ahead of them.

Yeah we'd need to hope Palace, Leeds or Brentford can get a draw. Then they'd get a draw and two losses from their next 3. That'd give them 8 points and on 61 points. 

Meaning we'd need 12 points from our final 7 games. So 3 wins and 3 draws (lose to Liverpool) or 4 wins. So from Brentford, Fulham, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton we'd need 4 wins or 3 and draws if we get a point off United. 

Seems tough ask really. Seems like 4 wins from next 7 a must and really we need to win next 2 to have any chance

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah we'd need to hope Palace, Leeds or Brentford can get a draw. Then they'd get a draw and two losses from their next 3. That'd give them 8 points and on 61 points. 

Meaning we'd need 12 points from our final 7 games. So 3 wins and 3 draws (lose to Liverpool) or 4 wins. So from Brentford, Fulham, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton we'd need 4 wins or 3 and draws if we get a point off United. 

Seems tough ask really. Seems like 4 wins from next 7 a must and really we need to win next 2 to have any chance

Yep. We have to win our next 2. It’s going to take an incredible run of form for us to finish higher than Brighton and Liverpool. 

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Heart says we can finish 5th or 6th but head says 7th at an absolute push with spurs in 8th

That’s my prediction aswell. 

Goal difference is probably gonna count against Villa. Liverpool even with their poor away record to bottom half teams can just go and put 6 past Leeds, whose there game in hand? They will fancy themselves to get 5th

Confident Spurs will continue be awful though,  hopefully Liverpool can be as ruthless as tonight in 3 games time. 

The closer we get the more I’m despising that useless prat Gerrard. If he’d managed just one more bloody win. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

We are probably going to have to win at Anfield to finish above them. The attacking talent they have, its ridiculous that we are even having the conversation 

You have to put them away of course, but dear god the Leeds defence tonight was pub league standard. We will give them a game. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We are probably going to have to win at Anfield to finish above them. The attacking talent they have, its ridiculous that we are even having the conversation 

Their defense is poor though so I think we can cause them problems if we're on our game

• Like 1

1 minute ago, B30Villa said:

If English teams win all the European competitions does 8th get us Europe?

I don’t think so, no. 

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

The closer we get the more I’m despising that useless prat Gerrard. If he’d managed just one more bloody win. 

Might have stayed for longer then. Best just to consign him to the best-forgotten bin with Sherwood, McLeish etc 

4 minutes ago, B30Villa said:

If English teams win all the European competitions does 8th get us Europe?

This has been covered multiple times. The lowest league position for Euro football is 7th (depending who wins the cups)

• Like 2

Just now, rubberman said:

Might have stayed for longer then. Best just to consign him to the best-forgotten bin with Sherwood, McLeish etc 

Yeah fair point. Can’t help looking at the table and thinking “what if” though.