Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Ha, I know.  

I've got them winning 9 and drawing 2.

They don't deserve that trust, but I can see them going on a run.. why? I'm not sure.

Got them to beat Chelsea (not hard :lol:)

Draw Arsenal (they'll raise their game I think.. could easily get beat though)

Beat Leeds, forest, west ham, spurs, Fulham

Draw Vs Brentford

Win Vs Leicester, villa :( and Southampton 

You are Lawrenson and I claim my fiver.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

You guys are screaming 8th place finish rather comfortably, the fact you expect this to be the minimum is either a great showing of faith in emery or are not seeing the teams currently above us as better.. id be happy with a 10th place finish realistically anything more is a bonus, but I think thats where we will finish.

39 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Win tomorrow and we’re 6 points behind Spurs and we still have to play them.

CL is getting closer every day :D

They've got a tough game against Brighton on the weekend aswell. Another team above us that will be dropping point with them two playing each other.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RicRic said:

You guys are screaming 8th place finish rather comfortably, the fact you expect this to be the minimum is either a great showing of faith in emery or are not seeing the teams currently above us as better.. id be happy with a 10th place finish realistically anything more is a bonus, but I think thats where we will finish.

You’re probably right but no harm in daring to believe. At least until we got bought back to Earth with defeats against Leicester and Forest ;)

Nah, we’ll smash them both!!

7 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

They've got a tough game against Brighton on the weekend aswell. Another team above us that will be dropping point with them two playing each other.

I can see Spurs losing pretty much all their away games. I'd strongly fancy us to do them at VP based on their level tonight and they usually lose at Anfield. Also got Newcastle and Leeds on final day.

Depends if their home form holds up. They have won 10 out of 14 this season which is very good but they'll find it tough to beat Brighton and Man. United. Brentford and possibly Palace will go there and stick men behind the ball aswell.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I can see Spurs losing pretty much all their away games. I'd strongly fancy us to do them at VP based on their level tonight and they usually lose at Anfield. Also got Newcastle and Leeds on final day.

Depends if their home form holds up. They have won 10 out of 14 this season which is very good but they'll find it tough to beat Brighton and Man. United. Brentford and possibly Palace will go there and stick men behind the ball aswell.

When’s the last time we done the double over them in the league?

If, and its a big if, if we do qualify for any European competition, are our ffp limits restricted ? 

If so, is it not better to not qualify this season, spend a shed load and then look to qualify next season ?

I just recall something about teams playing in Europe have more restrictions when ffp is involved ? 

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

How crazy would it be to see Spuds, Liverplop and Chelsea all finish out of the European places!

I think you would see all the media talking heads spontaneously combust.

7 hours ago, brummybloke said:

If, and its a big if, if we do qualify for any European competition, are our ffp limits restricted ? 

If so, is it not better to not qualify this season, spend a shed load and then look to qualify next season ?

I just recall something about teams playing in Europe have more restrictions when ffp is involved ? 

There's a spending cap on wages transfers and agent fees that limits those costs to 90% of your turnover at the moment.  I think we're within that figure for now so should be fine, especially with the boost we'll get to income from being in Europe. 

In 2023/24 the cap will be 90 per cent, in 2024/25 it will be 80 per cent and from 2025/26 it will be 70 per cent.

It's an interesting point though, and more sure if we would be better able to sign exactly who we want without that limit. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

"Apologies for not understanding how good Aston Villa are"- Max Rushden in his podcast opening statement. 

Fair play, Max.

There was a segment on the podcast a couple of weeks ago, and yes, I shall type it out:

Max:  "...Paul said, 'look, can we have some actual discussion on Villa other than mentioning their result and focusing on their opponent?  I realise this is slightly passive aggressive - I'm sorry (or am I!)'. but he sent this graphic showing that since Unai Emery became the Villa manager, they are 3rd in the table!  Which had COMPLETELY passed me by, I have to admit"

Robyn:  "Just shows how terribly they started the season under Steven Gerrard as well.  I mean, Bournemouth were pretty toothless but Villa played fantastically well and it was interesting because Ramsey was saying afterwards that it's taken them a bit of time to adapt to - he's very much in a possession-based style, Unai Emery - and they're just starting to adapt to that.  Possibly Europe might be a little bit out of their reach now BUT I think they play 8 of the top 10 in the run-in so they do have a chance to reel a few teams in and we know Unai Emery is the King of the Europa League at least.  I mean, they've just got a fantastic manager haven't they, Aston Villa?  I think they've lucked out, they really have."

Barry:  "I saw that tweet and I was a bit sniffy about it because "ah well, they were 14th when he took over and now they're 11th - big deal.  Patrick Vieira was sacked for being 11th."  Then I noticed the massive gap between them and Palace in 12th - you know, it's a huge gulf and it will be very interesting to see how they get on next season when Unai Emery has a pre-season with them and gets more players in and ships out a few.  Yeah, it's exciting times for Villa because his pedigree is excellent."

Robyn:  "I would say as well, he was really limited as he couldn't name a full bench and two of them were goalkeepers... I think they are going to invest heavily again, the owners, in the summer so the pressure will be on to deliver next season"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There was a segment on the podcast a couple of weeks ago, and yes, I shall type it out:

Max:  "...Paul said, 'look, can we have some actual discussion on Villa other than mentioning their result and focusing on their opponent?  I realise this is slightly passive aggressive - I'm sorry (or am I!)'. but he sent this graphic showing that since Unai Emery became the Villa manager, they are 3rd in the table!  Which had COMPLETELY passed me by, I have to admit"

Robyn:  "Just shows how terribly they started the season under Steven Gerrard as well.  I mean, Bournemouth were pretty toothless but Villa played fantastically well and it was interesting because Ramsey was saying afterwards that it's taken them a bit of time to adapt to - he's very much in a possession-based style, Unai Emery - and they're just starting to adapt to that.  Possibly Europe might be a little bit out of their reach now BUT I think they play 8 of the top 10 in the run-in so they do have a chance to reel a few teams in and we know Unai Emery is the King of the Europa League at least.  I mean, they've just got a fantastic manager haven't they, Aston Villa?  I think they've lucked out, they really have."

Barry:  "I saw that tweet and I was a bit sniffy about it because "ah well, they were 14th when he took over and now they're 11th - big deal.  Patrick Vieira was sacked for being 11th."  Then I noticed the massive gap between them and Palace in 12th - you know, it's a huge gulf and it will be very interesting to see how they get on next season when Unai Emery has a pre-season with them and gets more players in and ships out a few.  Yeah, it's exciting times for Villa because his pedigree is excellent."

Robyn:  "I would say as well, he was really limited as he couldn't name a full bench and two of them were goalkeepers... I think they are going to invest heavily again, the owners, in the summer so the pressure will be on to deliver next season"

What podcast is this?

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What podcast is this?

Guardian Football Weekly.  Probably my favourite football podcast - not too in depth, likeable people and good insight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

For tonight: 

Bournemouth v Brighton: Bournemouth win or draw

Leicester v Villa: 

Villa win

Chelsea vs Liverpool: draw

🤞🤞🤞

I think a Chelsea win is better for us. They are just some shitty mid-table team below us in the table, no need to look down 😆

Whereas Liverpool are catchable if they lose.