Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

40 minutes ago, maqroll said:

9th place has never felt so good 😆 

Very interesting now!

Chelsea v Liverpool this Wednesday...do we want a draw or a Chelsea win?

If we beat Leicester its a bit irrelevant. We just need to do our job

Any chance of making this dream a reality depends on building a platform over the next 5 games, then holding on for some tough matches in the home stretch.

not impossible, I won’t jinx it by saying any more! 

UTV

I would still be happy just to finish top ten, getting into Europe would be good but if we don't it won't mean we will have had a disappointing season as getting into Europe always a big ask this season anyway, but even more so considering we essentially handicapped by the first ten games, so much so that getting top half will actually be a good achievement not only because it will be for the first time in twelve years but also because we will have had to show good form since Emery came in to achieve it.

• Like 4

We are in form and 2 points off sixth. Europe is 100% the target now and we must go for it. Nothing wrong with this sort of pressure, makes a nice change from the pressure of staying up. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

To get 4th, we need the win the last 10 matches. Not very realistic, but it is allowed to hope.

More realistic a top 6 place would be nice.

You see I reckon 4th will be around 62-65 points so a long shot....but not impossible. I reckon Spurs might lose most of their away games left (including to us). Newcastle have quite a few tough matches still to play at home aswell. Hopefully they don't beat Man. United tomorrow otherwise they're be big favourites then.

The rest are bang in the pack with us now.

Someone asked who we want to win out of Chelsea-Liverpool. Chelsea win 100%. They're too far back to seriously challenge and still have both Manchester clubs and Arsenal to play away.

Liverpool could still spam wins from all their home games and win a couple away and suddenly they're over 60 points so the longer they get stalled the better. If they don't win either of their next two we'll be above them I reckon.

• Like 1

Not that it’s particularly relevant, but with a slightly quirky coincidence, we were also on 41 points after 28 games during the 55 points season.

301CE1C6-45C3-4FA5-BB36-E80A541A8F18.jpeg.7b08bf69179738e827b63f44bcfa6563.jpeg

But we weren’t quite in the ascendancy like we now appear to be in, I think we’re going to surpass it this season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Just shows you what a waste it was for all those months under gerrard, would be comfortable in the Europe spots if this form had started with unai

Who knows if we could've tempted Emery in August/September but we really really should've sacked Gerrard after losing at home to West Ham. Just one point from Forest and Leeds away. Probably would've got the full six with Emery in.

• Like 2

Tomorrow and the day after there are two important games. Hopefully Newcastle and Spurs lose both. I’m not aiming at 4th right now, but those two could get dragged while Brighton or Liverpool goes for 4th. So as much teams failing to put a gap, the better for us. I’ve been saying game at a time. Now we have another cup final against the foxes. It could go either way as they’re now part of the bottom 3. We had our worst result under Emery against them. We really have to focus on that. We usually lose home and away to a relegated team. Bournemouth in our first year, Watford last year. We need to be sure we don’t do the same this time. Huge game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who knows if we could've tempted Emery in August/September but we really really should've sacked Gerrard after losing at home to West Ham. Just one point from Forest and Leeds away. Probably would've got the full six with Emery in.

A whopping two whole points from Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham, Leeds and Forest at the start of the season.

I wasn’t exactly happy about it at the time, but looking back at it now it’s criminal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not that it’s particularly relevant, but with a slightly quirky coincidence, we were also on 41 points after 28 games during the 55 points season.

301CE1C6-45C3-4FA5-BB36-E80A541A8F18.jpeg.7b08bf69179738e827b63f44bcfa6563.jpeg

But we weren’t quite in the ascendancy like we now appear to be in, I think we’re going to surpass it this season. 

Around that time you know who got injured and the goals really dried up. Losing at an awful 10 man Sheffield United, 0-0 v Wolves etc. We had a rally in our final 5 games but this is different and feels more like how we started that season when we were incredible defensively for first 20 games and scoring for fun at the other end.

• Like 1