Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

We play 8 teams above us out of our remaining 11 fixtures 

Can you imagine the scenes at Villa Park on the final game of the season if its to decide the remaining European spot! 

Yeah this was the crux of my opinion earlier in this thread.

Villa look to have potentially a say in the matter of who qualifies for Europe. 

The league is tight around these places and also around relegation, there are so many teams involved and looks likely to go all the way until the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah this was the crux of my opinion earlier in this thread.

Villa look to have potentially a say in the matter of who qualifies for Europe. 

The league is tight around these places and also around relegation, there are so many teams involved and looks likely to go all the way until the end of the season.

Yeah our 3 games that are not against top 10 opposition are Leicester (A) Forest (H) and Wolves (A) 

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

Fulham haven't been as good in recent weeks as they were earlier in the season - and now Mitrovic could be missing for a while! Might help.

Yeah will be 3 game ban at least. Deserves more tbh

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah will be 3 game ban at least. Deserves more tbh

If its 3 game ban he will miss Bournemouth, West Ham, Everton. 

4 or 5 game ban he will also miss Leeds then Villa games. 

Yeah thinks those red cards for Fulham will have an impact on their season.. hopefully. Just need Brentford to implode a little. I think those two teams are the teams I'd want us to be finishing above. Chelsea n Liverpool are just an unknown, they have the quality n know how to get over the line. Brighton just seem to be on another level  and don't see them slipping up. Would be chuffed with a top 8 finish personally 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, supermon said:

Yeah thinks those red cards for Fulham will have an impact on their season.. hopefully. Just need Brentford to implode a little. I think those two teams are the teams I'd want us to be finishing above. Chelsea n Liverpool are just an unknown, they have the quality n know how to get over the line. Brighton just seem to be on another level  and don't see them slipping up. Would be chuffed with a top 8 finish personally 

We have a pretty tough run in, only 2 teams below us from the last 11 games.  The plus side is we have the opportunity to take points off teams above us.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

We have a pretty tough run in, only 2 teams below us from the last 11 games.  The plus side is we have the opportunity to take points off teams above us.

Three teams below us; Leicester, Nottingham and Wolverhampton. If we do well, there is a chance we are above a few others teams by the time we play them like; Fulham and Brentford.

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

Three teams below us; Leicester, Nottingham and Wolverhampton. If we do well, there is a chance we are above a few others teams by the time we play them like; Fulham and Brentford.

Three teams below us who are all fighting for their lives.

We can't afford to go into any of those games being complacent and on the beach or we will come unstuck.

20 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Three teams below us who are all fighting for their lives.

We can't afford to go into any of those games being complacent and on the beach or we will come unstuck.

The only way to make it, is game at a time. 

On 19/03/2023 at 20:10, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Unlike some "fans" he won't give up!

Difference is he has to say that to keep the players motivated. We can be more fair in our expectations. 

Top 10 will be a fantastic achievement after all these years and the start we had, but its in danger of being over looked by some.

Tbh I'm not sure we are set up for Europe currently.  If league positions suffer from the over exertion of a small squad I can see unnecessary pressure put on everyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Difference is he has to say that to keep the players motivated. We can be more fair in our expectations. 

Top 10 will be a fantastic achievement after all these years and the start we had, but its in danger of being over looked by some.

Tbh I'm not sure we are set up for Europe currently.  If league positions suffer from the over exertion of a small squad I can see unnecessary pressure put on everyone.

Emery is not just saying it for the sake of it though he truly believes it is possible and it is. He won't be aiming for tenth, that's for sure!

Positivity and confidence is key at the top level of any sport; Ferguson (as much as I dislike him) said this too many times.

In life for that matter too it is so important; lots of doom and gloom on VT for my liking.

Agree with one of your points though 'top ten' would be great!

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Emery is not just saying it for the sake of it though he truly believes it is possible and it is. He won't be aiming for tenth, that's for sure!

Positivity and confidence is key at the top level of any sport; Ferguson (as much as I dislike him) said this too many times.

In life for that matter too it is so important; lots of doom and gloom on VT for my liking.

Agree with one of your points though 'top ten' would be great!

I agree that he will think we can, and I love him for it, and it was the right thing to say to keep the players aiming high.

I just don't like that some are going to take this season as Europe or failure 

23 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Added to that, I’d often rather play a team in 8th than a team in 17th in the final weeks of the season.

Strength of remaining schedule based on home/away splits of opponent's ppg rather than total. The middle section "Schedule (points)" is the expected remaining points earned in remaining games (and then expected final points when this is added to current points) based on average total points earned per match minus the average opponent's ppg. The right hand side section (also titled "Schedule (points)") is the same as the middle section but flexed based on % over/underperformance of the listed team compared to the average expected home or away ppg.

image.png.426b81f3770ff409b612e4d5ce47fb3f.png

And here's the same summary, but figures for Brighton, Chelsea and us are based on performance under current management only.

image.png.73f1dfc9d5fd81973b59baf19aa6cc73.png

Obviously our excellent away form under Emery is skewing this summary a fair bit. However you look at it, Chelsea have the hardest schedule and need the biggest turnaround in form to even get close to top 7.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 09:24, Nigel said:

I think it would be too soon for Europe with this squad, even with a few quality additions in the summer.  If we managed to finish 7th and get into ECL, I think we'd struggle to play well on Thursdays and weekends, it would be better in the long run if we didn't finish in Euro spots this season and made a push for it next season with Emery getting a summer window, full pre-season and full season.

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think it would be too soon for Europe with this squad, even with a few quality additions in the summer.  If we managed to finish 7th and get into ECL, I think we'd struggle to play well on Thursdays and weekends, it would be better in the long run if we didn't finish in Euro spots this season and made a push for it next season with Emery getting a summer window, full pre-season and full season.

It's fine, you can play the kids and still breeze past European minnows.

celtic-oneill.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=

• Haha 2

all things considered if Emery were to get Villa into Europe this season he should be awarded Premier League Manager of the Season. I mean obviously he wouldnt be because there is zero creativity in these awards and it will go to whoever wins the league. But to take Villa from where he found them to Europe would be unfathomably good

• Like 1