Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

9 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

You missed Chelsea (a). Could be a winnable game, or could be in the other games, based on the same argument as Spurs.

I had that all typed out in my notes, noticed I missed Chelsea away, then forgot to add it in 🤦‍♂️

I have it in the non winnable games.

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So frustrating to be winning so many on the trot yet not actually moving up the table. 

But we're keeping pace and putting ourselves into the position to take advantage if we can just keep going. 

More importantly we’re reducing the gap with everyone, better than moving a place where others make the gap bigger. 
Huge game against Leicester, just play each game as a cup final and see where it takes us. 
Hopefully Spurs lose to Fulham, and Brentford lose. 

• Like 4

Said we needed to improve away form and my god is UE on it, 3 aways out of 3 since he came in.

Compare that to Gerrard's two points from Bournemouth, Palace, Leeds and Forest.

Think next task is to try to get a few decent wins before end of season as our goal difference is worse than pretty much all of top half but shaping up to be an exciting run in I think, plenty of winnable home games left.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I had that all typed out in my notes, noticed I missed Chelsea away, then forgot to add it in 🤦‍♂️

If we defend well I reckon we could do a similar job on them down there to what happened at Spurs.

Need to get some more quality in final third though.

• Like 1

It's Crystal Palace that will be feeling they are being cut adrift whilst we have kept up with the pack despite everyone else's results. Beat Leicester and other results go our way n we can hopefully go above some of these.

Getting shades of when Deano took us over in the Championship and we went on that run.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The more you go into other games you’ll find it harder. Just keep it week by week, our games and teams around. I also look at Newcastle games, had the drew against Fulham would be 9 points. So hopefully we reduce the gap with all of them. 
But let’s see what we do against Leicester first.

Just now, abdulaziz1 said:

The more you go into other games you’ll find it harder. Just keep it week by week, our games and teams around. I also look at Newcastle games, had the drew against Fulham would be 9 points. So hopefully we reduce the gap with all of them. 
But let’s see what we do against Leicester first.

Yeah I know, who knows what Brighton will be doing by the time we play them on the final day.

Just mapping it out, as a sort rule of thumb. I think there’s every chance a nice win or two will occur in the harder matches and frustrating defeat or two will happen in what I think are the easier games.

What is nice though, when I was reading through this fixture list - I didn’t really find myself dreading any of the games. Every one I was thinking “Hmm, well it’s not crazy to think we could get something from that.” I certainly wasn’t thinking like that in October.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I know, who knows what Brighton will be doing by the time we play them on the final day.

Just mapping it out, as a sort rule of thumb. I think there’s every chance a nice win or two will occur in the harder matches and frustrating defeat or two will happen in what I think are the easier games.

What is nice though, when I was reading through this fixture list - I didn’t really find myself dreading any of the games. Every one I was thinking “Hmm, well it’s not crazy to think we could get something from that.” I certainly wasn’t thinking like that in October.

That’s because our form more than what was in October. Hopefully we can beat Leicester and change our whole season by then.

If Spurs lost they would have played a game more than us (same with Fulham). So we’d be 6 points to Fulham, 5 to Spurs with one game less.

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So frustrating to be winning so many on the trot yet not actually moving up the table. 

But we're keeping pace and putting ourselves into the position to take advantage if we can just keep going. 

We are moving up the table. Remember that when we finally sacked Gerrard we were 17th, just on goals scored, we had the same point total and goal difference as Wolves, in 18th.

Now we are out of the relegation battle, 1 point behind 8th place.

Of course it would be nice to be further up the table, but if we continue winning games we will.

• Like 1

Three points off the top six is amazing.

I think that will suffer with some of our upcoming fixtures (but hopefully not) - that’s why it was so important we saw off Leeds and Southampton, and six points in the bag from those is lovely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looking at our remaining fixtures (with the acknowledgment that coming off the back of two wins means overconfidence is a real danger), I think our “winnable”* games are -

Both Leicester games, Everton (a), Palace (h), West Ham (a), Bournemouth (h), Forest (h), Brentford (a), Fulham (h), Wolves (a) and Brighton (h).

The other games are Man City (a), Arsenal (h), Newcastle (h), Man Utd (a), Spurs (h) and Liverpool (a).

Now a lot can happen by the time those games roll round, I don’t expect we’ll win all eleven and equally I don’t think we’ll fail to pick up a single point in the other seven games.

We’re currently on 28 points. I think as baseline target we should be aiming/hoping for more than that 55 points we did a couple of years ago. In the region of 60 points.

*While I know for instance Spurs at home is a winnable game, I don’t necessarily anticipate us to win it.

I predicted 10 wins in the remaining 19 before Southampton so 9 from 18 imo is doable. We’ll probably lose to one or two of the weaker teams but I believe we’ll beat Newcastle and Spurs at home.

Arsenal is going to be a mega game for obvious reasons and I think it’ll be an epic draw.

I’d love it if we beat scumchester united.

• Like 1

Has anyone thought about our squad, looked at our bench and have slight reservations about qualifying for Europe " too early " ?

I've seen teams without depth completely tank in the League after qualifying for Europe.

We currently struggle to even challenge in Cups with second string. Obviously I know we'd take qualifying early over not all day, but it would require quite large squad turnover imo.

Guess this also depends on what the squad looks like come end of this window.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Has anyone thought about our squad, looked at our bench and have slight reservations about qualifying for Europe " too early " ?

I've seen teams without depth completely tank in the League after qualifying for Europe.

We currently struggle to even challenge in Cups with second string. Obviously I know we'd take qualifying early over not all day, but it would require quite large squad turnover imo.

No. We need to get into Europe asap and that will attract better players to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With Europe, we can afford to keep some youngsters which should be the squad. Right now it’s better to loan them. 
Hopefully we make it tgis season. West Hame went to Europe two years. It only affected them now and actually them being bad isn’t some related to Europe, they’ve been losing since the beginning of the season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

With Europe, we can afford to keep some youngsters which should be the squad. Right now it’s better to loan them. 
Hopefully we make it tgis season. West Hame went to Europe two years. It only affected them now and actually them being bad isn’t some related to Europe, they’ve been losing since the beginning of the season.

Also west ham have complete tight arse owners. You have to expect owners like ours and Newcastle to do everything they can to keep us there once we are

• Like 1

18 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Hopefully Spurs lose to Fulham, and Brentford lose. 

I hope Spurs smash Fulham into next week! Why would we want Fulham to win again?  Our chance of a top 10 finish depends on us catching Fulham, Brighton or Brentford.