Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

How come? Chelsea lost twice, Liverpool lost twice. To go to Europe we’ll have to be above one of these two (,Spurs or Newcastle) plus the other 3 teams. They’re winning against those so I don’t see where is the issue? apart from Brentford beating Bournemouth which is a given. 
Still a lot to come, we just have to do our thing and hopefully other results will help us. 
Next week is a cup final against Southampton. Finish that then think of Leicester. 

Chelsea and Liverpool will sort themselves out. We're only half way through season. I'm more talking about Brighton, Fulham, Brentford

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

Chelsea and Liverpool will sort themselves out. We're only half way through season. I'm more talking about Brighton, Fulham, Brentford

But to go to Europe we need to get above one of the other 4. 
Those three will lose points aswell, we just need to keep getting points and reducing the gap. 

We're 3 points from Liverpool and level with Chelsea at the half way stage and people on here are doubting us and making Fulham, Brentford and Brighton sound like the Harlem Globetrotters.

I think our general rule should try and be 'beat the teams from us down, and not lose to the ones immediately ahead.

Out problems over the past few seasons have stemmed from not taking a decent haul from the bottom of the table teams. 

This year we took two pints from Bournemouth, Palace, Leeds away, and Forest. Maybe you can even put West Ham in that list too after how shit they have been this year. 

That's a lot of points missed out on.

It's was the same under Smith and Gerrard and makes it hard to build up a decent final total as you have to beat the top six to make up for it. 

I think Emery will sort out the issues that see us missing these opportunities as frequently.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

If Emery keeps up his current average points haul, we'll be knocking on the door.

Very difficult to do that, opposition coaches will have enough data to start to pick apart Emery's tactics. 

I’m trying to stay grounded, while the results in the league have been fantastic I think as has shown in a few of the performances, we are still at the very early stage of things under Unai.

I’d take a 10th place finish right now, it’s all about getting things together to hit the ground running in August for me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep, we’d need to displace Brentford, Brigton and Fulham and it doesn’t look like we will. I think we’d need to go on an insane run of form, starting with beating both Southampton and Leicester to even have a chance. 

Fulham's only six points clear of us and they've just been on an amazing run so it will level out soon enough for them and Brentford.

Brighton are a very good team this year and they're finally matching their xG so I don't see them having long winless runs like previous seasons

We just need to get to 55 points and see what happens, that could be 8th imo. Plenty of teams above us are playing each other in next month.

Edited by VillaChris

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Fulham's only six points clear of us and they've just been on an amazing run so it will level out soon enough for them and Brentford.

Yep, Fulham are 6 points ahead having played a game more. Our game in hand is against Leicester. So surely we can catch them over half a season!

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Yep, Fulham are 6 points ahead having played a game more. Our game in hand is against Leicester. So surely we can catch them over half a season!

They play Spurs, Chelsea again and Brighton in next four games so at worst they'll be taking points off some other teams close to us.

It's a very interesting next 5 or so games for us. Just got to get a couple more wins and see how far off top 8 we are then.

• Like 1

I can't see us getting up to 7th this season. I'm very relieved to be looking up rather than down, as we were not too long ago. Top half would be a great achievement in my opinion, given where we were when UE took charge.  My target would be to stay above those below us and to get ahead of Brentford and Fulham. Getting ahead of one or two of the others would be terrific, but it would take one hell of a run-in.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, John said:

I can't see us getting up to 7th this season. I'm very relieved to be looking up rather than down, as we were not too long ago. Top half would be a great achievement in my opinion, given where we were when UE took charge.  My target would be to stay above those below us and to get ahead of Brentford and Fulham. Getting ahead of one or two of the others would be terrific, but it would take one hell of a run-in.  

Only 8 points behind Spurs 😬😬😬

Yes, only dreaming not being serious.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Only 8 points behind Spurs 😬😬😬

Yes, only dreaming not being serious.

Actually Spurs play Man City next and we play Southampton. There is a decent chance we’ll only be 5 points behind them by the end of next weekend 😀

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Actually Spurs play Man City next and we play Southampton. There is a decent chance we’ll only be 5 points behind them by the end of next weekend 😀

They play Man City twice in their next 3 PL games 😂 with Fulham inbetween.

Southampton have typically hit form now, so could be a tough game. Ward-Prowse always turns into prime Ronaldinho against us and scores free kicks for fun.

No idea what’s going on with Leicester but their squad is too good to struggle for much longer. They’ll win games. 

Very much a case of no easy games in this league. Apart from Man U at home. 

Edited by Tayls