Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

8 minutes ago, allani said:

As I keep on saying - the balance of our team (particularly the midfield is all wrong).  I also think that some people massively overrate our players / underrate the opposition - I think it is pretty much 50/50 between the teams on paper.  The difference is that Palace have a more balanced midfield.  Until we sort this problem we are always going to struggle and be inconsistent in terms of our results.  We need another CM to spread the load with Kamara and then allow either McGinn or JJ a bit more freedom to focus more on supporting the attack.  As it is we are always at least 1 player short in the middle of the park - usually 2 because McGinn seems to have an allergic reaction to actually trying to track back.

100 percent!

• Thanks 1

Just seems obvious that if he wants attacking full backs in Cash & Digne, you need to have 2 holding midfielders. McGinn and Ramsey not disciplined enough to help out when needed. We keep getting overrun on the right so Kamara being dragged out there but then you get chances like the Ayew one where he was completely free on the other side. Luiz on for Ramsey please. 

Buendia has been v.positive just need to get him on the ball more. We've had the lucky escape with the VAR (though arguably unlucky with possible pen shout just before equaliser - didn't see enough replay to be sure). Game is still there at 1-1 but Palace looked more likely.

Mings has been good, Cash and Konsa struggled. Zaha is very tricky customer on his day. Least he got a yellow, can hope he might do something stupid 2nd half.

• Like 1

Great first 5 minutes, and then back to type.

Their goal, konsa ? No point just running along side the player hoping he misses, put a block on ffs. If he pulls it back then the ball is going in a different direction to goal giving others a chance to get involved, but no block just running along side him.

There's been one out ball all game, mings diagonal,  it must really be so easy to defend against because konsa is like a rabbit in the headlights when the bl is at his feet, what's happened to him god only knows but I wouldn't have him in any starting 11 until he sorts himself out.

Mcginn and Ramsey? Another nope.

Mgginn needs to be off at half time for doug to try and at least gain some composure in the middle, otherwise we may as well just put ings on and play nothing but long balls in for the 2 forwards to fight for.

Watkins, a well worked simple direct goal but then the watkins touch comes out from then on after and the poor passing. Again I'm one of his biggest fans but he has not been the same since Jack left.

Chambers for konsa

Sanson...  oh wait.. doug on for mgginn ( before he gets sent off and for trying to get some possesion)

Ings for Bailey

With no Tim, no sanson our midfield looks like it's lacking any energy as jj is not in the game.

Time to makes some changes

• Like 1

Viera had palace playing with a packed box (5 on back line) with a quick counter until today.   He shifted to 4 at the back with the midfield pressing high and attacking with speed at any turnover.   We set up to try and break down a parked bus.  So, our choice now is to stay the same and hope or change personnel and/or formation.  The better tactic now would be to go to two speed forwards with one in behind and play long ball to them.  Take the CP midfield out of the match.  I would change formatoin and tactic at half, then change personnel at 55th or 60th minute to increase the speed of our attack.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Watching Villa try and pass the ball through midfield is a truly, truly horrific sight. 

McGinn, Ramsey and Bailey have been woeful. Watkins control of a football almost comedic. 

Eze and Zaha a joy to watch.

Until we sign some better midfielders, expect plenty more of this.

The only positive from that half is that we’re not losing. 

Doesn’t matter who we sign if there’s no structure. Even elite players would look like shit when the system fails.

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I agree. There’s something about how Gerrard sets the team up to start that just kills the flow of our team going forward. Wouldn’t be surprised if Coutinho comes on later and it becomes what we normally see when buendia comes on.

The same system where Coutinho ran the show against Southampton last season?

I’ve been very pro SG but for the life of me I cannot see any evidence at all of how he has improved us as a team…..nothing. Also, to keep playing JJ and JM as the pair of 8s is quite frankly staggering. No control, no plan, no progression. 10 months and this is where we are. Very concerned. 

Just now, srsmithusa said:

Viera had palace playing with a packed box (5 on back line) with a quick counter until today.   He shifted to 4 at the back with the midfield pressing high and attacking with speed at any turnover.   We set up to try and break down a parked bus.  So, our choice now is to stay the same and hope or change personnel and/or formation.  The better tactic now would be to go to two speed forwards with one in behind and play long ball to them.  Take the CP midfield out of the match.  I would change formatoin and tactic at half, then change personnel at 55th or 60th minute to increase the speed of our attack.

I think we could have had viera as manager he'd have been fantastic. Probably has the draw of Gerrard but is actually tactically sound. 

• Like 1