Pre-match thread

wedge

Just now, StanBalaban said:

Most teams with a good squad don't have a "starting XI". We've been conditioned for years to believe squad players are simply there for injury and suspension cover.

We have a good squad, and they can't all play every game. We face different teams each week, so we can pick the best team for that game.

Just watching Spuds v Wolves and Bissouma and Richarlson came on late in the game, such is the power of their squad. We're able to bring Coutinho, Luiz and Ings on, which is amazing.

Spurs are a bad example though. Conte is notorious for starting the exact same XI every time unless someone’s injured. He wants his players to be able to perform certain patterns perfectly.

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When we talk about expectations, how many teams can have quality like Ings and Coutinho on the bench? 

This is easily the strongest squad since MON IMO. 

It is a strong squad but it just how you manage and employ them . 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Haven’t looked through the thread yet but now Emi is playing what’s on the agenda to have a good moan about?  Konsa?

Going to moan about peoples posts.......

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The Freddie and Sanson points are bit meh really. I think they'd give us better creativity and better solidity if options if they were on the bench. But it's a bit of a moot point.

Sticking with Konsa who was rubbish against Bournemouth and will have to cope with Edouard is a pending fail.

Luiz would give us a better chance of controlling the midfield, but he's gone with his let's attack and leave a big hole for Kamara to cover. Kind of worked against an atrocious Everton. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it works against Palace.

I think SG sees a lot in Konsa and wants to see if he can get his old form back. He has played very little since his return from injury and needs game time to sharpen up. If we don't see improvement in Konsa in the coming games I expect he will be dropped for Chambers. Luiz could be a good call, maybe SG wants to see the impact of playing Bailey and Emi2 together behind a striker with JJ flying up the middle before he starts changing the midfield?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Spurs are a bad example though. Conte is notorious for starting the exact same XI every time unless someone’s injured. He wants his players to be able to perform certain patterns perfectly.

I picked Spurs because they were on the TV at the time. 

The teams that have a good squad use them. As the elite extreme, look at Man City.

My point was in response to 'Gerrard doesn't know his starting XI' as he's made changes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We win the manager is clueless. We lose the manager is clueless. But we’re the best FaNs In tHe wOrLd….

Gerrard is clueless.  But we’re the best FaNs In tHe wOrLd

- ‘Brevity’ , my friend.

13 minutes ago, jim said:

Everyone calls for Buendia, starts Buendia “doesn’t know his best line-up” 🤣

And when Buendia gets sent off for being too hotheaded it's like 'Coutinho would never have done that

Gerard out!

• Haha 1

I'm learning a whole new game day challenge.  First is trying to predict the strategies and tactics the teams will use and how the match will end based on that  (to me, the strategies matter more than the personnel... the linup should shift and change based on the tactical plan). But the new component is "how long before the steady drip of awfulizing on the VT thread make me so angry that I quit following it and just watch the match?  Since I am guessing that our offense will clikc and we'll score several, I'm going to predict that I will be able to survive the entire match thread.  Only time will tell.   

Edited by srsmithusa

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

You seriously think Young is better back up at RB than Guilbert?

Nope, but as per my post above he offers more versatility and something different to Fred. He can back up more positions on the pitch and on both sides of the pitch and he has maturity and experience if we are trying to defend a lead with 10 mins to go. When u consider that Cash rarely gets injured the risks of having an inferior backup RB are probably outweighed by having more options with Ash

• Like 3

Surprised to see Ings dropped, thought he worked well with Watkins last game.

Not feeling confident at all about this one despite us arguably having a better player in almost every position. But we tend to win when I think we won’t and for the opposite see Bournemouth.

So 2-0 Villa.