Pre Match Thread

rjw63

Hope I’m wrong but with a formation where the only width you have is your fullbacks we are going to get absolutely shredded out wide defensively with them playing wingers and 3 CBs meaning their full backs also have licence to overlap, especially on the counter if/when Cash and Digne are out of position.

Also means Ramsey and Mcginn are going to get pulled out wide to assist, resulting in Kamara with too much on his hands in the middle AKA no midfield control. Least it’s an early game so won’t be tempted to start hitting the beer, hopefully.

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Once again Buendia has become Messi because he’s not playing. Just like with Ings until he started playing and not scoring. As always with Villa fans, your reputation is never higher than when you’re not being picked.

What an awful take. People just venting their frustration at Buendia not getting a start over an inconsistent Coutinho isn’t calling him Messi.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

"Tyrone Mings is fully fit. I know I took the captaincy off him but I didn't take the position off him. Hopefully he will be very important for us."

Gerrard out.

His unnecessarily abrasive approach to the whole situation has inflated this particular molehill

11 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

So actually pretty good for us.

By far the best. They started to build a good relationship and Coutinho in a free 10 role. It leaves space for the full backs to get forward as Watkins and Ings trying to get into box to score. 

Of we convert Bailey into a split striker too we've 4 players for the two forward roles and we've Buendia and Coutinho for the 10 role. 

I'm not going to be complaining if it ends up working obviously, but I can't lie, that team confuses me.

Staying with that midfield when it was a shambles last week and going more narrow when Everton's whole set-up is based around width just seems counterproductive in my view.

Would quite like to see Buendia, Luiz and Bailey get on to make a real impact in the game and make even more of a case for themselves going forward.

• Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

His unnecessarily abrasive approach to the whole situation has inflated this particular molehill

The wording was poor I agree, but there's a fuller context to listen to. He was talking about his fitness mainly.

• Like 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Another game another chance for Gerrard to try desperately to justify bringing in a mate we didn't need on 120 bags a week

Are you talking about Coutinho? Because he did very well when he came in on loan and pretty much everyone on here agreed that buying him permanently was a good move. There is a *A LOT*  to criticise Gerrard on but this is a weird one.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tommo_b said:

I’m optimistically excited. 

I'm dreading it after last week.

Was sky high against Bournemouth with optimism but that performance ruined my weekend.

Figured i will set the bar low in terms of expectation so it doesn't sting as much this time round.

1 minute ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Bruce got to this stage where he kept swapping formations every week. Thing is, it didn't take him this long to get that desperate. Very worrying. 

so did Deano tbf.

This moment with Gerrard, I have the same feeling i had towards the end of Deano's 5 game losing streak.

I just want it to end, i dont care how, it just needs to end.

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

Are you talking about Coutinho? Because he did very well when he came in on loan and pretty much everyone on here agreed that buying him permanently was a good move. There is a *A LOT*  to criticise Gerrard on but this is a weird one.

Coutinho had about 6 good games out of 17 I think

It was an ego signing to look like a big club. We were better off keeping Emi who had found form