Villa Podcasts & The Athletic Coverage

HalfTimePost

1 hour ago, daft said:

God, I **** hate the Athletic. Too bad the Villa podcast is gone, but listening to some of the Athletics other pods and having to live though the absolute humiliation of being exposed to **** ball sack grooming commercials is just below my dignity. I much rather enjoy 'amateurs' reliant on direct donations instead. Any sponship deals will always moderate the content, and it makes for a worse podcast if the hosts suddenly switches voices to read ads in the middle of interesting discussions. 

In general I think most fan driven podcast should look at a value for value model, relying on donations from listeners instead (check out Podcasting 2.0). 

I think @nepal_villan and @PaulMcGrath_5 have some good shouts on pods.

The Athletic have 8 specific club podcasts this season, Sky 6, Newcastle and Leeds. I thought they were supposed to be for every club. Not that I would listen to Evans but Everton, West Ham or Leicester fans would probably be disappointed not to have one

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

The Athletic have 8 specific club podcasts this season, Sky 6, Newcastle and Leeds. I thought they were supposed to be for every club. Not that I would listen to Evans but Everton, West Ham or Leicester fans would probably be disappointed not to have one

When Bruce was there I listened to Newcastle's because it was funny how much they hated him. It was 500x better than the villa one.

I've recently started listening to The How Aston Villa Won... Podcast 

It's a bit of a walk down memory lane reflecting on some of our more successful times. The first season is all about the 81 league win, think they're doing 82 European Cup after that. It's mainly targeted at people who are too young to have enjoyed the success first time round. It's a good laugh and we'll worth a listen!

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2022 at 14:30, chips'ngravy said:

I gave up on that one a long time ago. Thought it was pretty weak and they didn't work particularly well as a pairing. 

My Old Man Said is the only one I regularly listen to. It has its flaws, Chris Budd's constant interjections, David Michael's cringe inducing mispronunciations, but all in all it's a pretty solid pod and once they get into their flow and get the lame jokes out of their system they are actually capable of offering decent analysis.

That guy who interrupts has really turned me off from that podcast. I found myself getting wound up over it. 

So now I just do the Claret and Blue podcast. I like Rolinson, even though he sounds reluctant to even be there half the time 😆 

And I like Mat Kendrick. I can take or leave Preece.

I also tune into the Canadian guy's weekly output. He's pretty good.

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Thought Pete called it quite well this week.

This whole guy's schtick is how he is so much more reasoned calm and rational than everybody else. He's so much better than me. I bow down to his reasoning and intellect.

The guy talks utter tripe mind you.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

MOMS and Villa Talks are the best two imo. Didn’t really like MOMS when I first started listening to it at the start of the first lockdown but they’ve won me round to the extent where I’ve now got the annual membership for the extra shows.

Omar’s pod is great; enjoy the chat between the contributors and that different opinions from across the fanbase are pretty well represented. Always a good one to listen to on the way down to the match.

I’ll listen to the C&B one if I have time (normally the match reaction one only as they upload so many) but can’t stand Preece when he’s on there.

I like Dan Bardell but stopped listening to 1874 a long time before it finished because Evans is awful, so dreary and loves it when things are going badly at the club; shame they couldn’t keep it going with Dan and Holly instead - would be better if she became the full time correspondent for us actually over Gregg.

Discovered the Villa podcast on Saturday with the two Irish lads and really liked it so will be adding that to regular listening.

6 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Just found these guys. Good production values & their microphones work <cough> VillaView sort it <cough> and a good pair fans.

Yeah was a nightmare the other day. Think TVV is going back to basics to make sure all the tech works in the background. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yeah was a nightmare the other day. Think TVV is going back to basics to make sure all the tech works in the background. 

heh its all good :) 

While I have your attention, thanks for a great pod and having solid opinions & analysis when on other shows!

Appreciate ya!

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

11 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Just found these guys. Good production values & their microphones work <cough> VillaView sort it <cough> and a good pair fans.

Mentioned it earlier, but worth repeating that these guys do a really good job and have some good takes.

• Like 1

Â