Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

At least they’ve got top tier references. 

the wife tells me the kids don't watch a lot of TV (:detect:) so i'd never really watched bluey before this weekend, my daughter likes peppa pig which is shite and paw patrol which you can tell is owned by a toy company and is ok at times (the film is class though)

from what I could tell bluey seems to be about 2 good kids playing with their dad who is a proper great dad

its a very approvable TV show

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

the wife tells me the kids don't watch a lot of TV (:detect:) so i'd never really watched bluey before this weekend, my daughter likes peppa pig which is shite and paw patrol which you can tell is owned by a toy company and is ok at times (the film is class though)

from what I could tell bluey seems to be about 2 good kids playing with their dad who is a proper great dad

its a very approvable TV show

Dunno how you can like Bluey and think Peppa Pig is shite. They have a great deal in common - both full of jokes aimed at parents. My grandkids got me a Grandpa Pig mug and socks for my last birthday, I was delighted. 

And I think you'll find I'm something of an expert in kids' TV. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Dunno how you can like Bluey and think Peppa Pig is shite. They have a great deal in common - both full of jokes aimed at parents. My grandkids got me a Grandpa Pig mug and socks for my last birthday, I was delighted. 

bluey seems a year older and slightly more mature to me

the art style obviously helps but I think its in the communication too, PP is simpler, maybe alarmingly i actually think i talk to my kids like the dad does in bluey "what you doin mate?" he resonates more with me as character than daddy pig 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

bluey seems a year older and slightly more mature to me

the art style obviously helps but I think its in the communication too, PP is simpler 

Age-wise and relationship-wise (two pairs of sisters, cousins), my four granddaughters map on almost perfectly to Bluey, Bingo, Muffin and Socks. They are quite delighted by this fact. 

DOOD. 

Muffin is the best Bluey character (unless you count Unicorse). 

It's a genuinely well written TV show. Pretty staggering accomplishment to produce a show aimed squarely at young kids, but also address issues like miscarriage and infertility. 

There's speculation it'll finish for good after the current season finishes as the kids are getting too old to do the voices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

It's because it's completely true.  Bluey is an amazing kids programme, full of depth and dealing with really complex situations and also showing strains in relationship between the parents.  Having the heavy Dad character influence is of particular appeal to me, I guess, but the whole thing is fantastic - the breadth of topics covered in an entertaining way is incredible.

Peppa Pig, on the other hand, is utter shite.  There's no breadth at all.  George just says "dinesaw" and has tantrums.  All his things are blue, all Peppa's are pink.  The daddy is some chauvinist dream; does **** all anywhere while the Mummy pig does everything.  It's an awful show.  Granted, it's "just" kids entertainment.

It's down there with Bing for me.

• Thanks 2

On 05/09/2023 at 11:25, Stevo985 said:

I've never seen "high school" used in England more than in this thread. Thought that was almost exclusively a US term

Same. 

For me it was infant, primary and secondary schools. 

Or junior, middle and big school as the kids called it. 

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's because it's completely true.  Bluey is an amazing kids programme, full of depth and dealing with really complex situations and also showing strains in relationship between the parents.  Having the heavy Dad character influence is of particular appeal to me, I guess, but the whole thing is fantastic - the breadth of topics covered in an entertaining way is incredible.

Peppa Pig, on the other hand, is utter shite.  There's no breadth at all.  George just says "dinesaw" and has tantrums.  All his things are blue, all Peppa's are pink.  The daddy is some chauvinist dream; does **** all anywhere while the Mummy pig does everything.  It's an awful show.  Granted, it's "just" kids entertainment.

But that's the whole point. "Daddy Pig is a character of Ibsen-esque dimensions" © @El Zen. The Pig family are a parody of the traditional -frequently incompetent - British family. We laugh at their well-meaning attempts at parenting. Bandit Blueheeler, by contrast, is an impossibly great role model dad, almost too nice and thoughtful. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Bluey is bloody brilliant, probably the best kids program there is right now, but I still think Peppa has some real merit in its own right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

But that's the whole point. "Daddy Pig is a character of Ibsen-esque dimensions" © @El Zen. The Pig family are a parody of the traditional -frequently incompetent - British family. We laugh at their well-meaning attempts at parenting. Bandit Blueheeler, by contrast, is an impossibly great role model dad, almost too nice and thoughtful. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Bluey is bloody brilliant, probably the best kids program there is right now, but I still think Peppa has some real merit in its own right. 

Nah, Bandit gets things wrong - he apologises for the times he's a shit parent.  The whole program is superb in the way it deals with all of that.

Peppa Pig just isn't.  They even have the smart kid (can't remember which animal) at school who they call "clever clogs" in some sort of weird-Peppa Pig bullying.  It's just filled with a load of shit.

Sarah & Duck is pretty cool, though.  Pretty "out there" :D 

(But, sure, I take back Peppa being as bad as that Bing thing).

Edited by bobzy

I've not seen an episode of Peppa Pig in well over a decade, but my biggest problem with it is that Peppa is a proper rude little word removed that shows no respect for anybody. It's not going on in my house.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've not seen an episode of Peppa Pig in well over a decade, but my biggest problem with it is that Peppa is a proper rude little word removed that shows no respect for anybody. It's not going on in my house.

haha my mom thinks the same "she's naughty" and its banned in her house

Grizzly and the Lemmings is a great show and my 6 year old absolutely loves it. 

It's very Looney Toons like with no words and lots of slapstick violence (hitting with frying pans etc).

I banned my son from watching it earlier this year after he ran up to me with a swing ball racket in each hand and smacked me on the knee shouting 'lemmings attack'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Middle school for my daughter is years 5-7

Then High school 8-11 + the 2 years 6th form.

Jeeeez, she will be a Coed before you know. Remember these semesters as the best and have a root n sass, hell yeah bro

30 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Jeeeez, she will be a Coed before you know. Remember these semesters as the best and have a root n sass, hell yeah bro

Don't get me started on proms. 

On 11/09/2023 at 17:39, bobzy said:

Not as low as Bing surely. Bing is  word removed, but  I hold Flop  responsible for that 

Â