Gompedyret

5 hours ago, TRO said:

The physicality required to play up front in this league and hold your own ground, is a phenomenal challenge.

This boy is 17 and not a freak of nature like Jude Bellingham.

He might be tearing it up against other boys who give him space, to showcase his talent.....but he has a lot to prove to be a first teamer.

Never the less encouraging progress from him.

Agreed. Next season we should find a good loan for him.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, david-avfc said:

He's playing kids football in the u18's so probably not

They all were once, sometimes they can take to first team football like a duck to water, I was thinking he might get a few minutes coming off the bench, if Duran remains unavailable. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the squad tomorrow for the game against Crawley, maybe Borland, Jimoh, and Broggio from the U18s too. Borland is an interesting one, in size he's actually smaller than Wilson and Simpson in size, but came into the U21s at an earlier stage, and has now already played against first team opposition in previous rounds of this season's EFL Trophy, he only turned sixteen in April, Scotland U17 international, sometimes captains them, got four assists for U18s already, so seems to have some attacking threat to his play, Wilson probably benefiting big time in that sense from his teammates, because we have a lot of creative players in our U18 team, Broggio, Lynch, Brannigan, Pavey, Borland and so on.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 06/11/2023 at 01:33, TRO said:

The physicality required to play up front in this league and hold your own ground, is a phenomenal challenge....don't under estimate it.

This boy is 17 and not a freak of nature like Jude Bellingham.

He might be tearing it up against other boys who give him space, to showcase his talent.....but he has a lot to prove to be a first teamer.

Never the less encouraging progress from him.

Hopefully, our next Andy Gray. 

Its really noticeable how differently we are handling him and his minutes in different age groups. In the old days a prolific youth striker would be slogging week in week out in the u21s from day 1 to get him physically ready for mens football.

But from the moment he joined last season he seems to have been played in more u18 games than u21. So he has always been scoring and never losing confidence playing against far stronger players at u21. 

I hope it pays off for him as he is a true goalscorer that knows where the ball is going to be bef0re anyone else. 

He's a second year scholar, the same year group as Young, Patterson, and Kellyman, he's already proven last season  he can play and cope at U21 level

To me it was surprising he didn't start the season with our U21s, but as our first year scholars were being kept in the U18s I thought maybe he was being grouped with them based on size, and would come into the 21s as a regular after Christmas, but that hasn't happened

He's only getting ten or fifteen minutes at the end of games, whereas players a year younger than him, Proctor, Triston Rowe, Borland, Jimoh, and Broggio are getting starts

Even the likes of Pierre, and Afoka are getting starts ahead of Wilson or coming off the bench before him

I might be wrong but I can't help wonder that he's given no indication that he's going to sign a new contract, so club not giving him as much development time with the U21s as they normally would

Edited by useless

Seems to be developing well. His first goal last night was very much what he's about, the movement across the front post while everyone else is standing still is the thing that makes him such a good prospect, he's a yard quicker in his head than just about anyone and he's at the ball while defenders are wondering who they should be picking up.

He's a really good prospect.

On 06/11/2023 at 11:55, John said:

They all were once, sometimes they can take to first team football like a duck to water, I was thinking he might get a few minutes coming off the bench, if Duran remains unavailable. 

I think to survive at a young age, in the Prem ,  they have to show a physical edge, like Evan Ferguson, and Rasmus Hojlund.....Rory is still a tad younger than them, but he will need to be acquainted to the close contact game at some point, to be sure of his adaptability.

In the academy, they seem to hone other skills and attributes, where space is required......when it gets congested in the box, is where the true telling will be.

Ps Andy Gray was only 19 when he barnstormed us with his Lion hearted style......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think to survive at a young age, in the Prem ,  they have to show a physical edge, like Evan Ferguson, and Rasmus Hojlund.....Rory is still a tad younger than them, but he will need to be acquainted to the close contact game at some point, to be sure of his adaptability.

In the academy, they seem to hone other skills and attributes, where space is required......when it gets congested in the box, is where the true telling will be.

Ps Andy Gray was only 19 when he barnstormed us with his Lion hearted style......

andy-gray-quiz Aston Villa Football Club | AVFC 

Tougher paper rounds in those day tbf 🤣 Already looked in his 30s

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Seems to be developing well. His first goal last night was very much what he's about, the movement across the front post while everyone else is standing still is the thing that makes him such a good prospect, he's a yard quicker in his head than just about anyone and he's at the ball while defenders are wondering who they should be picking up.

I didn't see him, but the movement, is a very encouraging trait......Football is largely played upstairs.

Developing is all about adding attributes to the tool box.....fingers crossed, he makes it.

It does get harder for the youth as we get stronger as a team.....JJ was very lucky, as he has grown with us. This team now, will be very hard to break in to.

We see it all the time now, with the top clubs, where their kids have to leave to develop....and when they do, folk wonder why, they was let go.

I think Christian Purslow, made a good point on Talk Sport, referencing FFP should be geared to encouraging clubs to keep their youth, as fans love to see their kids develop and make it.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

andy-gray-quiz Aston Villa Football Club | AVFC 

Tougher paper rounds in those day tbf 🤣 Already looked in his 30s

Yeah....different times, and they had more space to play in.....but just making a reference.

On 07/11/2023 at 13:32, maqroll said:

Has Emery watched him play yet?

I would think he has a low down on the Caretaker/Janitor.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Think he’s got a great future ahead of him. Thanks for the write up. 

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah....different times, and they had more space to play in.....but just making a reference.

Yeah, absolutely worlds apart from today, really. That's not a slur on any of the players back then, just different times as you say.

RE: Wilson, the point about physical readiness is one that hasn't changed. Regardless of how good you are, you have to be able to keep up with it. 

It's very encouraging that Wilson can read the game from an attacking perspective, as that is something that just doesn't come naturally to many and will likely serve him and hopefully us, well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It does get harder for the youth as we get stronger as a team.....JJ was very lucky, as he has grown with us. This team now, will be very hard to break in to.

Yes and no. If the team are winning games comfortably on a regular basis, it is easier to give youth 10 minutes at the end, for example if you are 3-0 up, than when they are scraping for results at the lower end of the table. But then there is the added pressure of making sure you win. 

Â