Why would new players choose Villa? (For the uninformed Doubters!)

danceoftheshamen

Well there is a famous Villa chant that starts “Birmingham is full of fun, full of…..” think the rest of that chant provides all the reasoning needed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Every player will be different 

But I think we're the perfect size club for a lot of them, play every week, earn good money, in the PL... If things go well then we will all get to where we want to be, if they don't then Villa and those above us have shown previously that they will have the opportunity to progress elsewhere

We're a good platform, we give a lot of players a chance, first chance, second chance, PL chance, shop window chance, international selection chance 

Look at those who leave us this summer as well as those who join and look at what we've offered them be it Hourihane, Davis, Luiz, Trez, Wesley, Nakamba to a lesser extent El Ghazi and Targett, we gave all of them a chance to do something better than where they previously were 

Short version: Money

Long version: Still money, but that's not what the pundits are actually worried about.

Rightly or Wrongly the league's on the continent are coming to terms with a changing of the guard in the power players in European Football. I'm not saying that Villa are a new power player, but that if I was highly reliant on La Liga, Ligue Un, Eredivisie or even Serie A, I'd be worried about what's happening too.

Sometimes, that will benefit French football. La Liga (the league, not Madrid) have complained officially about the Mbappe PSG deal. That it cannot work within FFP. It is madness to have a league involved in one contract renewal.

Similarly though, French football has been on a downward slide (PSG excluded) for years. Taxation rules in Monaco ruined their push for European dominance, what was a benefit to them quickly diminished and they lost their pull. To have players leaving the likes of Marseille, Lyon and Lille and seeing Aston Villa, West Ham, Leicester and Newcastle as improvements is worrying for their league. Particularly as if a Super League came about they would only have 1 club even discussed being part of it. France have won two World Cups but could see their entire football system crumble if they are not careful.

La Liga are coming to terms with their crown jewels becoming a diminishing power in Elite European football, their focus is seemingly on Barca and Real and being able to continually compete with State Backed clubs like Man City, PSG and now Newcastle.

Where as Ligue Un will need to come to terms with the fact that all of their clubs, sans PSG, are not able to compete with the Premier League. And that many of them wouldn't be looked upon as potentially joining a new European League.

The reasons for Aston Villa in particular are irrelevant, the worry is that 'Champions League football' - that French Footbakk can sail on the coattails of PSG getting to the Quarters/Semis every year, keeping the co-efficient above water enough to give them multiple clubs in the CL - and therefore keep hold of Frances youngest, best players is no longer holding up. Marseille in the Champions League should be enough to hold off Aston Villa until Kamara is ready for 'The Elite'. But it no longer is. Because the gap in money and investment is so significant that players no longer care.

If these players come to Villa (or West Ham or Newcastle) and they can't get us to the Champions League, they'll get their move anyway eventually to a club that is CL - as they'd have been up against the very best every week - and if they aren't quite that level then they'll be a lot richer than they would be in France.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was amazed that Kia Jooribchan went on talksport to speak with Jordan about the Coutinho trasnfer. I thought that these agents had zero interest in placing their key clients with non Champions League teams. And then when pushed about whether villa would try to make the loan permanent said that he hoped so.

If you think about it he has been the agent that negotiated a transfer for his client from one of the biggest clubs on the planet to a midtable premier league team and successfully negotiated a probably 66% reduction in salary. It is not a good look for an agent. 

Despite Phils wishes to come here   there must be a real plan and project behind the scenes to make us such an attractive proposition for Phil Kamara and Carlos. It cannot just be simply money. 

It seems on the surface at least that Gerrard is the greatest salesman ever, and that our project is that good we can convince 3 players to forget the Champions League and come and play for us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

If you think about it he has been the agent that negotiated a transfer for his client from one of the biggest clubs on the planet to a midtable premier league team and successfully negotiated a probably 66% reduction in salary. It is not a good look for an agent. 

Yet 8 months ago, Countinho was viewed as bang out of form, some may have said washed up, barely playing. His wages were a massive burden to his club and they no longer wanted him round. From the sound of it he was also pretty miserable.

He’s now playing regularly, making headlines again for the best reason and a good chance of making the World Cup. Seems happier too. No club is would take him with those wages so they had to be reduced. I think if anything, most footballers would think he’s an agent who has acted in his clients best interests and not just tried to land the biggest pay packet for himself.

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Historic ground

Iconic manager

World-class training facilities and youth academy 

Famous history 

Rich owners 

Don't forget the ghost of Tony Xia's business acumen...

• Haha 2

I think if we are being brutally honest its definitely money first, we do have great owners with an ambitious project but with the teams allegedly chasing Kamara I think it was a factor. 

As for the French media/fans they have every right to be pissed. The Premier League is financially overpowered while France is struggling. If the roles were reversed we would be pissed if Jacob Ramsey left us and signed for Reims for example

• Like 1

There's so much potential for the club that has gone untapped for years.

- Biggest club in the second city

- Huge fanbase

- Beautiful, unique ground

- Storied history

- Ambitious, wealthy owners

- Huge name as manager

If the moves are made right, we've got all the ingredients to really push on and become a more regular fixture in the top half of the league. We definitely have something that sets us apart from the "other 14" clubs.

• Like 2

Stories have been made to suggest Villa simply offered way more money than anyone else.

As much as we'd like to buy into the Proud History rhetoric I'm really not sure if it matters, of course we are biased so it means something to us.

But yes in theory we have many great things going for us but ultimately Villa have to start throwing money around on high transfer fees and wages to attract better players.

• Like 1

Â