Why would new players choose Villa? (For the uninformed Doubters!)

danceoftheshamen

If the rumours of 175k a week are correct then that works out at 9.1 m per year so 45.5 over 5 years. Add signing on fee etc and let’s call it a cool 50m.

People are talking about Phillips going for 60m+ with wages on top. Kamara seems like an absolute steal considering the lack of initial capital outlay. 

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Stories have been made to suggest Villa simply offered way more money than anyone else.

As much as we'd like to buy into the Proud History rhetoric I'm really not sure if it matters, of course we are biased so it means something to us.

But yes in theory we have many great things going for us but ultimately Villa have to start throwing money around on high transfer fees and wages to attract better players.

Every club who has had recent success who weren't there or thereabouts already (i.e last 20 years) have done so. 

Chelsea in the early 2000's, more recently Man City - they simply outspent everyone else. 

It is the only way to get ahead in modern football. 

The elite scouting, academy, stadium, facilities etc. are important to maintain sustainability once there only. 

Edited by Steero113

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Every club who has had recent success who weren't there or thereabouts already (i.e last 20 years) have done so. 

Chelsea in the early 2000's, more recently Man City - they simply outspent everyone else. 

The elite scouting, academy, stadium, facilities etc. are important to maintain sustainability once there only. 

Exactly...

I nearly mentioned the likes of Chelsea and Man.City in my post, we have to start spending more than Wet Spam, Arsenal, Leicester and a few others to have any chance of finishing top seven! Newcastle unfortunately will throw a spanner in the works....

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Exactly...

I nearly mentioned the likes of Chelsea and Man.City in my post, we have to start spending more than Wet Spam, Arsenal, Leicester and a few others to have any chance of finishing top seven! Newcastle unfortunately will throw a spanner in the works....

It is no coincidence whatsoever that the period in our recent history where we finished in the European spots (2008-10) was when our spending was at its highest. 

Sad, but true. 

You can say money all you like, but the players signing could get that money elsewhere.  Coutinho surely could have,  and I suspect Kamara too. 

Kamara had himself said it was Gerrard coming to his house that finally persuaded him.

There is definitely a big pull in having Gerrard as our manager in respect of the young 20year olds that grew up watching him play and wanting to be him.

The project just means they know they're not playing for a nothing club, and probably being given assurances about villa not standing in their way if they want to leave.  Wouldn't surprise me if we put a release clauses in Kamara's contract.

26 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Exactly. No shame in it. To attract the best players when you don’t have the pull of European football, we’re going to have to throw money at them and make them believe we are heading somewhere. Maybe we also agree to sell them on if we don’t achieve our aims within a specified time period. 
I like this Kamara kid tho, even if he’s come for the money primarily, he seems genuinely delighted to be joining us.

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

A little off topic, but if the Champions League continues in its current format, they'll need to look to include 5 teams from the PL. The league is so much stronger than anything else in Europe. 

Yet no English team won a European trophy this season 

Only 3 English teams from the greatest money league in the world have won a European trophy in this millenium which is weird since I have been forever told about these brilliant big 6 English teams 😂

3 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

So I keep reading comments from French Players & Pundits which basically question the sense of Boubacar Kamara Signing for us and I thought it needed a discussion / explanation for the "uninformed doubters" out there!

For me it shows that Kamara has properly looked at Aston Villa, It's history,

Stopped reading here. The answer is money

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Historic ground

Iconic manager

World-class training facilities and youth academy 

Famous history 

Rich owners 

If only we had got to add theme park to that list

• Haha 1

1. The PL has the most money and the best quality of play.

2. If you want to play in the best league but Liverpool or City don't have a place for you, or you aren't willing to spend time on the bench, why not Villa? Outside the "Big Six," we're among the 2 or 3 biggest of the rest.

3. Sales pitch. "We've won the CL before, we can do it again..."

4. Sales pitch: "Our owner has won the NBA, now he wants to win the PL and CL."

5. Sales pitch: "Our manager won the PL as a player, now he wants to win it as a manager." Oops, can't use that one. Umm..."our manager won the Scottish League as a manager, so now he can win the PL." Oh, wait, that doesn't work either. Umm..."our manager won the CL as a player, now he wants to win it as a manager." Ooops, comeback question: "Will he win the CL when he manages Liverpool?" Seriously, though, I'm sure some players would like to play for Gerrard.

One of my shit claims to fame is that I'm friends with Steve Stone's daughter. I'll always remember what he said about why he signed for Villa - his agent said it was the best thing for him. That was all.

There's a lot to be said about how professional and honourable the club are in their dealings with players, both in and out. If an agent likes dealing with our club, it opens the door to more players coming here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

If the rumours of 175k a week are correct then that works out at 9.1 m per year so 45.5 over 5 years. Add signing on fee etc and let’s call it a cool 50m.

People are talking about Phillips going for 60m+ with wages on top. Kamara seems like an absolute steal considering the lack of initial capital outlay. 

I think the signing on fee is generally added to the wages and paid annually while the player is still at the club. The 175k a week will in all likelihood be the full annual payments divided by 52 and as such include the signing on fee. I would say he is nearer 110k/120k a week in wages which keeps our wage structure and the uplift to 175k is signing on. As u say, much better deal that Phillips if we consider the player are on a par

Money and our record of letting players move to richer clubs if they want to once they have produced for us.

While selling our average players has always been a struggle and we have financially lost on most occasions, we have always been able to sell our best players and have never forced them to stay. Ok there's been a couple situations where players have been told they need to wait but they have all got their moves.

The spotlight of the Premier league gives players who play regularly the chance to improve their profiles world wide.

It is a bit of a daft debate trying to suggest that Kamara signed for Villa or didn't sign for Villa for one single reason. There are many things a player will weight up before signing and they each contribute to the decision.  Money and Premier league are huge influencing factors. Gerrard was a positive influencing factor in why Kamara signed. There is no denying that.

• Like 1

Â