Why would new players choose Villa? (For the uninformed Doubters!)

danceoftheshamen

I think in this instance with Kamara he’s one of the few players these days who realised that we have a plan for him and not just an asset to stick on a bench. Credit to Gerrard and the club for visiting the lad in his house and laying out the plan and the ambition, because it obviously worked.

The club has has several sliding doors moments over the last 40 years and for whatever reason in most cases those who run the club didn’t take the right approach or option. In some cases like the late 2000’s it was the obscene money spent by the likes of Manure City and Chelski that probably prevented us from playing Champions League football as under normal circumstances they wouldn’t have been competitive, this alone changes our fortunes for the 2010’s.

Football used to be cyclic, but greed has unfortunately changed that over the past 25 years or so and the authorities closed the shop so other teams with rich benefactors can’t make the quantum leap others where allowed to to gain success.

We are very lucky to have the owners we now have and they are setting the club up for long term success and sustainability. It may not be sexy, but occasionally we will have a win like attracting a player like Kamara.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

If these players come to Villa (or West Ham or Newcastle) and they can't get us to the Champions League, they'll get their move anyway eventually to a club that is CL - as they'd have been up against the very best every week - and if they aren't quite that level then they'll be a lot richer than they would be in France.

Diego Carlos moved from a club in the champions league to the Villa,i dont think its just money that made him come here either.

Pros of playing for Villa. 

You get to stay at home most midweeks and get paid far more than you did abroad for playing 1 game rather than 2 

Great if you have young children and a demanding wife . 

And on a more serious note. You get to play in the most competitive league in the world . You play against teams with some of the biggest stars in the world twice or even more if you get them in the cup every season. 

We might take the prem for granted. But for foreign players more and more, unless you are in a team that can get out of the group stages of the Champs league   the best chance of playing the very best teams is here in England . 

Haaland De Bruyne Diaz Foden Bernado Silva

Salah Van Diyk TTA Thiago Luis Diaz 

Kante Nelson Havertz

Son Kane Romero 

Thats some of the best players in the world if we take our blinkers off 

Edited by MWARLEY2

I personally think it is largely money, or well lets say "the money has to be right" but I do think other stuff comes into it too with some players. For example It wasn't long ago both we & Newcastle had similar offers on the table for a certain former Bournemouth striker & he chose them "Because his young son preferred them". So sometimes different personality types work on different levels. Kamara seems to be one who likes the project and the true football aspect or "story" if you will. Others no doubt don't give a monkeys and will just go to the highest bidder / biggest perceived club or simply follow (As in Steve Stones case which was mentioned) what their agent says without so much as a glance at anything else.  You can see similar personality differences in every workplace. Some don't give a stuff and have the attitude of "i'll do as little as possible so long as I still get paid" whilst others take a pride in their work & surroundngs. Others are highly ambitious and others have their eye set on working at a certain company or reaching a certain goal. I guess football is not much different although has definately been infiltrated by money grabbers since the big money has arrived.

I've said for years that when everything aligns at Villa, we have more potential than any other club in Britain.  The ground has always been revered, the training facilities always up with the best (except when Ellis refused to spend on improvements in the late 90's), the history is in the top 6-10 clubs all-time, and the fanbase enormous with even more potential for growth.  The missing piece over the past 40 years has been the lack of a high profile manager.  Going all the way back to the appointment of Graham Turner in 1984 we have short-changed ourselves with these "up and coming" appointments instead of giving the club a manager who fits the profile and can handle the pressure of an expectant and demanding fan base.  The closest we've had to a manager who can raise the profile and handle the pressure - Atkinson and O'Neill.  No coincidence that this coincided with us finishing high in the league and attracting top-name players.  Little and Gregory were a close second and I think Gregory had the ego as a manager in a similar way to Atkinson.  Sherwood and O'Leary had the ego, just not the ability.  Houllier was ten years too late.  Little, Gregory and Smith had success because the pressure for them was dampened due to their Villa roots and they understood the club and the fans. 

The second city is the most lopsided of any in England in terms of football.  Villa dominate and have dominated through it's entire history.  London, Manchester, Liverpool and even Sheffield and the northeast are smaller populations with far more clubs on an equal or close-to-equal footing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Villa are the perfect middling club who pay well, and where quality players are guaranteed to play and show their chops.

Villa are known as a feeder club and have sold every decent player they've had since the war, who have gone on to do great things at the top clubs.

Do well at Villa and the big clubs always come a knocking.

From Danny Blanchflower to Jack Grealish, the Villa have cashed in and the stars moved on to greater things.

29 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Villa are the perfect middling club who pay well, and where quality players are guaranteed to play and show their chops.

Villa are known as a feeder club and have sold every decent player they've had since the war, who have gone on to do great things at the top clubs.

From Danny Blanchflower to Jack Grealish, the Villa have cashed in and the stars moved on to greater things.

For me this is exactly where the club has gone wrong. 

It's fine selling the odd "star" player but only if the overall quality of the team is invested in & improved as a result. Then & only then will we have any chance of estalishing ourselves as a top or "Massive" club again. We need to emulate what Spurs have done basically. Once you have consistent top 6 finishes then you can attract and hold on to your best players more often.

The issue with Villa has been selling those players and not reinvesting or making poor purchases (Yeah thanks Ellis & Lerner & co) I trust these owners to finally see the light however.

33 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

And how ironic is it that our greatest-ever team barely had "star" among them.  We had three genuine world class players in the Ron Saunders era.  Two were sold (Gray and Gidman) and the best of the lot (Sir Brian) had a career-ending injury before we won the league and European cup. 

The best Villa teams and most-revered players have always been a reflection of the city and fanbase.  We love our Des Bremners and Ian Taylors far more than the Ginolas and Collymores....

You're right that many of our sold players go on and do well elsewhere, but that's not always been the case.  We've had some genuine top-class players over the years who had their best years while at the Villa.  McGrath, Laursen, Townsend, Saunders, Merson, Mellberg, Carew to name a few.... 

Managers on the other hand rarely, if ever, go on to anything better when they leave us.  Even Sir Graham (RIP) who got the England job was never the same.    

On 30/05/2022 at 13:48, danceoftheshamen said:

So I keep reading comments from French Players & Pundits which basically question the sense of Boubacar Kamara Signing for us and I thought it needed a discussion / explanation for the "uninformed doubters" out there!

For me it shows that Kamara has properly looked at Aston Villa, It's history, & where we are going right now, rather than fall into the age-old trap of "simply picking the obvious clubs".

This shows a delightful aspect of him as a person in my eyes. He has gone by the information he was given and then what "felt right", rather than listen to the same old biased musings of agents, Media and other players who only see 6 clubs in the Premier League ...and well done to him!

Lets not forget that AVFC is indeed still one of the most successful clubs in the history of the English game. We also have some of the most ambitious owners in the League who have maybe not attracted the attention of many due to their "slow & steady progression" style. Of course the media always get attracted to the "want it now" brigade, the clubs who go and do a kind of "power grab" for example. We all know who those clubs are and frankly I just cannot repsect their "achievements" in the same way I would a club who had done it the traditional way through hard work & gradual improvement. 

Sadly Agents fill players heads with images of £££££'s and talk of getting them to "one of the best" clubs. Imagine them saying "Don't look at "x" club i'll get you a move to Man City or Chelsea " 20 years ago! They would have been ridiculed!

Then several seasons & a few rich owners later the whole game has changed.

They fail to understand that in football clubs go up & down & through era's! Just look at us in the Early 80's afterall! Sadly our heyday was rather cut short when a certain Mr Ellis arrived however. Well he's now long since left the building and finally we have owners who genuinely have real ambition. They know the true size, stature & potential of this great club and are a few years now into their project. As i said earlier, "slow & steady" is their style so here we are. The starting point was mid-table Championship (The low point of this club in the last 40+ years not the norm by the way). Now we are currently a Mid-table Premier League club but the slow progression is now about to accelerate in my view. We have now got a manager who's standards match those of NSWE and the next logical step is to build a squad to match. That is clearly underway ...and fast!.

The stadium is about to be expanded too! Next summer by all accounts so very soon. The season tickets for that expansion? Technically they are already sold! The 20k+ waiting list is testament to that.

So with all that, owners like this and the proven potential of AVFC historically, who on Earth are those ill-informed people to judge this club?! Maybe they need to re-educate themselves before coming out with statements which to me make them look rather like teenagers who have been watching too much Sky Sports News!!

Over to you NSWE, Well Done Coutinho, Kamara & co for seeing through the BS!

Its frustrating and at times infuriating, but also understandable.

Pete the Canadian did a good piece on The Holy Trinity show, recently where he emphasised the word "Ruthless".....That's what we have to become.

I could write reams on losing leads, capitulating and failing to come back in games.......We have to change that and I think SG is acutely aware of our short comings.

Folk outside B6 don't have to like us or rate us.......We have to force them to.

What we do next season will determine whether, Deschamps comment, was just a lazy one or an apt one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

We pay huge wages we have huge ambition we're in the PL and we will be seen as a good stepping stone club. Honestly.

You could say that about any teams outside of the Elite.( Champions league Qualifiers)....it will be an ongoing battle.

A big club like Spurs had trouble hanging on to Harry Kane.

Its our job to change the notion of that, and I think we are, gradually.

It wasn't so long ago Matk Ansell called us a "selling club"....and that has changed too.

If we don't have belief in ourselves, no one else will.

• Like 2

Â