Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

On 31/05/2023 at 21:16, M_Afro said:

I’ve got a feeling that Diego may leave this summer. We are likely to sign a starting centre back which could potentially push Diego back to fourth choice. I suspect he will not be happy with that and I also feel that it’s not a good position for the club to be in, having such an expensive resource so far down the food chain. They’ll maybe want to sell him before his value totally plummets. 
It’ s also much better to have Chambers as fourth choice. He is likely to be more accepting of that position, he offers cover at right back and centre mid too. He is also fairly low value and won’t suffer from a vastly depreciated transfer value like Diego.

I obviously don’t know anything but I also think it’s odd that he didn’t get hardly any game time after his injury. Unai said that he was ready but never played him. If he was in the plans, I’m sure he would have been used a bit more often. It just feels like a good time to cash in.

Why would he leave? He is also not fully fit and we have paid his recovery

Never mind nobody is paying 28 million for a player who hasnt showed he is fully fit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

My point is though we went down this road so many times in the past. Doing well with a core squad of 14-16 outfield players. Then we either just signed players mainly for the bench and discovered they weren't good enough when they played or just assumed the key players would never get injured so didn't strengthen in other areas and then lost form when a Carew or Grealish would be out for months.

I agree 100% that we're going to need a core bigger than 14-16.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

Last season for Man City they had Akanji (48), Dias (43), Ake (41), Stones (34), Laporte (24)

5 absolutely class centre backs and only one played under 30 games over a season. If we can put a couple of cup runs together, especially in the Europa Conference, all of Mings, Konsa, Torres and Carlos will get good game time. If you'd told me last season on gameweek one that Mings would get 40 games this season and Ake would play more than Stones or Laporte and replace Cancelo succefully on the left side I'd have thought it mad. Stuff happens every season and as long as you have good characters in the squad that know that too and believe in their ability to get back into the team and prove themselves worthy once they're there, whilst also supporting the lads making the team, all is good. The only concern after that is meeting FFP requirements with sale figures and wage demands but that's not currently anything to get concerned about 

Realistically we should be playing between 55 and 60 games this season. Let's say we play 60 and make the final of ECL and QFs of the other two domestic cups. 

So that's 120 CB starting places. Lets be conservative and say we play a CB at RB so we have a functional back three in only 20 games (I think it'll be more) that's 140 starting places for our 4 CBs. Lets say 

So evenly split that's 35 games they start in each. Lets be more realistic lets say 40 games for the best performing ones and 30 games for less key. Then throw in sub appearances when we want to close out games, Chambers came on in 9 of 18 games, so 50% of the games we expect a CB on to close out. So that's an additional 30 games lets say.

So now for our 4 CBs we're at 40 starts and 5 sub appearances, 30 starts and 10 sub appearances. This is without factoring in any injuries. If you are playing in 40 games a season and starting around 30 of those you are thinking about how you perform to play in the key matches, the finals or semi finals. You aren't thinking, I'm not getting game time I need to move club.

Now imagine we had kept our 4 CBs from last season and Mings got injured for 3 months. Konsa / Carlos are a level above Chambers (as Chambers is too slow to play high line defence) so they would play a huge amount of games. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, skarroki said:

Last season for Man City they had Akanji (48), Dias (43), Ake (41), Stones (34), Laporte (24)

5 absolutely class centre backs and only one played under 30 games over a season. If we can put a couple of cup runs together, especially in the Europa Conference, all of Mings, Konsa, Torres and Carlos will get good game time. If you'd told me last season on gameweek one that Mings would get 40 games this season and Ake would play more than Stones or Laporte and replace Cancelo succefully on the left side I'd have thought it mad. Stuff happens every season and as long as you have good characters in the squad that know that too and believe in their ability to get back into the team and prove themselves worthy once they're there, whilst also supporting the lads making the team, all is good. The only concern after that is meeting FFP requirements with sale figures and wage demands but that's not currently anything to get concerned about 

Arsenal is classic example for me.

All season they had Saliba-Gabriel who were playing very well. Then get to March and Saliba gets season ending injury and Rob Holding comes in and is significantly downgrade and they fall away.

Would've moved White back to CB but they didn't have anyone else to play at RB so he had to stay there.

That would be like us getting to April still in cups and then Chambers having to come in and play 6-7 games in a row. Him and Olsen starting at Old Trafford significantly contributed to us going out of league cup.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Arsenal is classic example for me.

All season they had Saliba-Gabriel who were playing very well. Then get to March and Saliba gets season ending injury and Rob Holding comes in and is significantly downgrade and they fall away.

Would've moved White back to CB but they didn't have anyone else to play at RB so he had to stay there.

That would be like us getting to April still in cups and then Chambers having to come in and play 6-7 games in a row. Him and Olsen starting at Old Trafford significantly contributed to us going out of league cup.

Said last week on the arsenal "bottling" topic one of the games they lost in the run in they played something like the polish kid CB at LB, holding and White at CB and partey at RB because I think Gabriel was suspended 

Holding replacing Saliba is pretty much arsenals bottle job 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Said last week on the arsenal "bottling" topic one of the games they lost in the run in they played something like the polish kid CB at LB, holding and White at CB and partey at RB because I think Gabriel was suspended 

Forgot about Kiwor, he struggled a bit in the Liverpool game and so wasn't used again for a few more weeks e.g. West Ham when they blew that 2-0 lead.

When you think about it us potentially having Diego and Torres as back up if we opt to stick with Mings-Konsa for start of prem season is ridiculous. Newcastle still have someone like Lascelles to come in if one of their main CBs get injured so we're completely stacked compared to most other clubs in this league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Forgot about Kiwor, he struggled a bit in the Liverpool game and so wasn't used again for a few more weeks e.g. West Ham when they blew that 2-0 lead.

When you think about it us potentially having Diego and Torres as back up if we opt to stick with Mings-Konsa for start of prem season is ridiculous. Newcastle still have someone like Lascelles to come in if one of their main CBs get injured so we're completely stacked compared to most other clubs in this league.

Honest there was times last season when you see people lambasting lange wanting him out of the club because he's signed players like Belgian international wolves starter dendoncker to be 5th choice CM for us whilst at the same time longstaff was 3rd choice CM for newcastle 

Our squad needs tweaking and constant building but the calls for 8 player overhauls in the transfer thread is nonsense 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I just live in the real world

No offence but I trust the medical staff the club employ more than some random mope on a forum. 

If they thought Carlos was done physically they would have got a replacement in.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

No offence but I trust the medical staff the club employ more than some random mope on a forum. 

If they thought Carlos was done physically they would have got a replacement in.

At what point did I say he was finished

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The might have just done that ! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I honestly wouldn't hold out hope on him. Bad injury at 30 to have.

If I was to predict I expect 6 months of being a rare squad player and a loan to Brazil in January.

Er here.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yet they haven't really improved their defence (unless Rice sorts this somehow).

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No I didn't. I just don't see him forcing his way in now compiled with the desperately need for matches.

Fairly sure you said he’d be finished here and in Brazil within 6 months? 

20 hours ago, MaVilla said:

it will be really interesting to see if he is done or not, wont be interesting for our finances though if he is.

Wesley never made it back from his injury properly (although not the same injury ofc), i do wonder if Carlos will be the same player.

Fingers crossed he is, but tbh, i wont hold my breath either.

Wesley's recovery and injury was far worse because all the ligaments in his knee ruptured. 

Â