Nottingham Forest

Demitri_C

impressed by their business. will they do a fulham or a villa though? i think the latter...i'd put them 16th/17th this season

bournemouth and probably fulham down. think brentford are going to be down there too.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It was about 10 games. And in that time he massively overperformed. 13 goal contributions from an xGI of less than 5 just isn’t sustainable. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Lingard to Forest is a bad signing on the face of it. It’s the ludicrous wages into a squad where most players are paid less than a tenth of what he’ll be paid that looks like the problem. 
Players will accept that for a real marquee signing. I just don’t think Lingard is that

He’s on £80/wk for 1 year - it’s hardly “ludicrous”. 

17th is success for any promoted team. I think you have to take gambles to stay up. Look at the money we spent and it came down to the last game. 

It's a 1 year deal, it won't financially bankrupt them and could potentially keep them up. It's a huge name for Forest. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m saying that signing a shit player on huge wages is a bad idea. You’ve cited us signing a shit player on huge wages which was, by all accounts, a disaster

Yeah but the point is i dont think lingard is shit. 

• Like 1

Always surprised by how many people seem to define/rate Lingard based on a 16 game spell at West Ham (and from memory the numbers were racked up in the first 10 with a subsequent drop off) than the 5 seasons or so he was absolute wank at United.

Plus he’s non-stop cringe:

38 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If he’s on 80k then that’s fine. But all of the reports I’ve seen are 180-200k p/w

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but the point is i dont think lingard is shit. 

Yeah that’s fine. I’m just not sure why you brought Ross McCormack into it. I don’t understand your point

2 minutes ago, penguin said:

Always surprised by how many people seem to define/rate Lingard based on a 16 game spell at West Ham (and from memory the numbers were racked up in the first 10 with a subsequent drop off) 

Is the right answer. 

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Surely us signing the likes of Trezeguet and Wesley were worse financial decisions than giving Lingaard big wages for 12 months. 

It’s not the wages I or anyone else is disagreeing with directly. It’s the wages vs the rest of the squad. 

Put it this way, the season we got promoted, if our marquee signing was Lingard on 200k per week how would we have reacted? I doubt many people would have been happy

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If he’s on 80k then that’s fine. But all of the reports I’ve seen are 180-200k p/w

“Jesse Lingard signs for Nottingham Forest in £80,000-per-week deal

England international had offers from other Premier League clubs and from abroad after running down his contract at Manchester United”

(link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/07/21/jesse-lingard-sign-nottingham-forest-80000-per-week-deal/)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, penguin said:

Always surprised by how many people seem to define/rate Lingard based on a 16 game spell at West Ham (and from memory the numbers were racked up in the first 10 with a subsequent drop off) than the 5 seasons or so he was absolute wank at United.

"Does you prefer?". Jesus. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The report i'd heard was that £80k per week but a huge signing on fee. Which effectively makes it about £200k per week for the one season.

Seems odd to give someone a big signing bonus for a one year deal. Unless there is a clause to extend it if they survive maybe? Ultimately if they stay up then the fee is chicken feed to the income they'll receive. A calculated risk. 

He is a cringe weapon though. 

On 22/07/2022 at 12:28, Stevo985 said:

They'll finish bottom

On 22/07/2022 at 12:38, bobzy said:

I think they'll stay up.

My guess is they'll end up close to the line, not sure which side. But I have a hard time seeing anybody other than Bournemouth finishing bottom, and seemingly they aren't even really trying not to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

My guess is they'll end up close to the line, not sure which side. But I have a hard time seeing anybody other than Bournemouth finishing bottom, and seemingly they aren't even really trying not to.

Bournemouth, Forest and Brentford would where my money would be for relegation

7 hours ago, penguin said:

"Which name does you prefer"

That sentence alone should be enough for contract termination. 

If the numbers reported are true you can see why he held out. 

Talk of £150k a week at West Ham or £200k a week at Forest. Most people will just dismiss both a lots of money, but it’s an EXTRA £2.5m a year. Not many would ignore that.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Bournemouth, Forest and Brentford would where my money would be for relegation

I think Everton have to be in the conversation and then possibly Leeds too. 

• Like 1

Â