The Re-hashed, Back door European Super League Scandal

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

If this goes ahead, football is finished. Those that go will contribute to a league of fake competition. Those that don't will be left in a competition whose value has been compromised.

Remember when the FA Cup and League Cup meant something? The domestic league would be like those competitions in 5 years.

You are jumping to judgment, UEFA are not worth your blind support. It might in fact be possible to do things better without them.

I will wait and see what is proposed this time around before deciding whether I support it or not. 

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You are jumping to judgment, UEFA are not worth your blind support. It might in fact be possible to do things better without them.

I will wait and see what is proposed this time around before deciding whether I support it or not. 

We’ve seen all the intricate details now. You can make a decision whether you like it or not. 

The worst bit is that Chelsea (for example) automatically go into the Star League, Villa can win the PL but will only go into the Blue League.  

Chelsea could get relegated from the Premier League, it wouldn’t affect their participation in the Star League the next year.

Edited by ender4

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's supposedly going to earn clubs a lot of money. The PL is currently the most lucrative, almost entirely because of TV money. If the Super League is going to be free on tv... where does the money come from, exactly?

i guess it could be backed by a few Saudi's and any loose change down the back of their sofa.

ie: 50 bazillion quid.

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Ooooohhhh the star league the blue league and the gold league. Whos 6 year old came up with that

tbf those names sound like an American invention.

Mental age checks out.

This revamp will be dead on arrival. I highly doubt any English clubs will take the risk, they've got so much more to lose than the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona, plus given the way German clubs are run, I don't see them joining. The same could be said for French clubs. Which at that point makes the whole idea of the Super League laughable. 

The Premier League is the Super League, you only have to look at the finances. I understand why the likes of Barcelona are desperate to make the Super League happen because financially they still aren't in great shape.

• Like 1

Not joining the Super League, and the Super League existing, will just make the PL clubs even more dominant.

You'd have 2 watered down Champions League's essentially. Both would not command the level of money given the clubs are split in half, and CL money is the only way other teams can tend to compete. Meanwhile PL clubs rake in th TV money.

Has their been any comms from the club about this at all? 

I'm assuming we'd not be wanted and would only potentially scrape into the lowest league. 

One of the plusses of if Purslow was still here we'd of heard the clubs thoughts on it as he'd likely be front and centre. 

• Like 1

There's just not enough details yet about how it works.

The biggest issues I see are:

National limits;
If there isn't a limit per country, you're going to potentially see 75% of the teams in the top 2 tiers being from England
If there is a limit per country, English teams aren't likely to get relegated from the bottom tier, meaning even if a different English team was to win 10 straight PL titles, they won't get in.

Finances;
If there isn't a big financial benefit for teams to be in it, clubs from England won't join. Without English clubs, the competition falls apart.
If there is a big financial benefit, it makes club football pointless. You likely end up with a relative PSG in every single league in Europe due to the financial difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Has their been any comms from the club about this at all? 

I'm assuming we'd not be wanted and would only potentially scrape into the lowest league. 

One of the plusses of if Purslow was still here we'd of heard the clubs thoughts on it as he'd likely be front and centre. 

Not that I've seen, but Emery was asked about it during the presser (he batted the question away and gave a non-answer, naturally)

• Like 1

There are a few different things here - I don't think the Superleague proposed yesterday gets off the ground any time soon, but the doors are now open for anyone that comes up with a competition to propose and set up that competition and for teams to be free to take part - so if CBS decide that Christmas would be a great time for Messi to play Madrid again, they can set up the Intercococontinental cup and play an eight team thing every year during the winter break - or if Sheikh Abboo doo-dah decides he wants a tournament for his daughters birthday, then he can set that up and invite who he wants - with that ruling this week clubs just need the right financial offer and they can go to the tournament. it potentially opens up a free for all.

Given free reign, clubs will pick the tournaments that make them the most money - Arsenal might play the Premier league, the Champions league and the Saudi World Cup - but not the less profitable FA Cup or League Cup.

Another thing is that the big clubs probably know that the new league doesn't get off the ground, but part of what they're doing is trying to say to UEFA, 'this way is better' and looking to force UEFA into changes to the way that they run the current Champions league to suit them - it's a 'scream and scream and scream until we get ice cream' strategy but it might persuade UEFA to change their own competitions to give the big clubs what they want and keep them quiet while still maintaining control and keeping their own finger in the pie. We might not get the A22 superleague, but we could get the exact same under a UEFA badge eventually .

The great hope for football fans (and increasingly on a number of issues) is the Governments independent regulator and the hope that it might prevent teams playing in both the Superleague and the Premier league at the same time - at the moment, whilst it's theoretical, that regulator is a brilliant thing for football fans, it values the heritage, history and structure of the game more than it values TV money, which makes it unique in football - of course, at some point we'll add actual politicians to it and there's every chance it'll end up pocketed, but it is the big current hope.

I also love a thing about fixture scheduling that I read - if Real Madrid want to play Bayern in Riyadh for money, then there's nothing stopping La Liga scheduled a game against Betis on the same day - and fining Madrid for not playing a full side - I love the idea of Jurgen Klopp taking Liverpool to a Superlague game at eight o'clock on Wednesday night in Milan, followed by a midday Thursday kick off at Fulham, scheduled by the league out of spite.

I think this week's ruling is going to change football, not immediately, but it will, it'll change the way UEFA does things, it'll open doors for the Saudi's and it'll ignore and trample over the desires of supporters that actually go to games and that's free market capitalism and it's going to kill us all and f*** it.

• Like 3

Â