Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Anyone know if Burnley's (lack of) style has changed since dumping Dyche? I've not seen them. Their results have certainly changed.

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Anyone know if Burnley's (lack of) style has changed since dumping Dyche? I've not seen them. Their results have certainly changed.

My theory with Burnley are they are currently going through the normal honeymoon period after ditching a rigid and defensive manager.

My theory is teams that are stuck in a rut under a manager that is too defensive or rigid in tactics are mostly demotivated and devoid of ideas. Think of us under Lambert, Palace under Warnock, Newcastle under Bruce.

When a new manager comes in all they have to do is take off those shackles and they get an immediate bounce from the team. Sherwood with Villa, Pardew with Palace, Howe with Newcastle.

I think that's what's happening with burnely. So they're playing a slightly more free and attacking style.

It won't last, but they're probably quite dangerous at the moment.

Although by all accounts they were absolutely shit against Watford. Watford fans are fuming that they lost that game

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I read they are playing a bit more slower on the ball and swapped McNeil onto the right wing to cut in to cause damage

• Like 1

I don't see this being a game, we will be comfortable with....so not expecting much.

I don't want Burnley, Everton or Leeds to go down, its such a bitter pill to swallow, but its likely one of them will.

as long as we don't lose to Burnley, they can't catch us.

I wouldn't like to call the 3rd place relegation candidate as its so close.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't want Burnley, Everton or Leeds to go down, its such a bitter pill to swallow, but its likely one of them will.

Really? Who do you want to go down instead?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Interesting… I would kind of like them all to go! But I never like to wish relegation on (almost!) any club.

We should be looking to win this because we need to finish this season as strongly as possible. We dominated both games against Burnley last season and got 1 point, need to ensure that doesn't happen again.

Surely Burnley can't win four games in a row, very few teams manage that in this league, but we can be such an ever obliging team. First things first match them for work rate and be up for a battle because it will be one. I hope the ref ensures they don't get away with any dirty tackles. 

We should be looking at 7-9 points from Burnley x 2 and Palace so that we give ourselves a chance of finishing higher than last season. Anything against Plop and City is a bonus. A draw at Burnley wouldn't necessarily be a bad result if we can beat them at home but we could really do with winning before the Liverpool game. 

14 hours ago, ender4 said:

Gotta be Leedszzz, a team full of shit haircuts and fans that make retards look like geniuses.

15 hours ago, ender4 said:

I don't do hate or dislike very easily, I see it as a burden.......some teams have to go, of course....but I was just relating it to the feeling I got, when we went down....that horrible sinking feeling.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't do hate or dislike very easily, I see it as a burden.......some teams have to go, of course....but I was just relating it to the feeling I got, when we went down....that horrible sinking feeling.

Such a gent....I do want Burnley to disappear for good, that horrid Ben Me and their anti-football. belongs in the archives 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

Such a gent....I do want Burnley to disappear for good, that horrid Ben Me and their anti-football. belongs in the archives 

Try to be.

• Like 1

They have pulled out some results since getting rid of Dyche (which at the time I thought was a mistake) and this will be a tough game. Not gonna be drawn into predictions but 2-0 Villa, Watkins to lose the ball and Ings to get a tattoo at half time.

My hopes of Newcastle Everton and Leeds all getting relegated ( to weaken the league next season as they all spend loads) was shattered, I can only hope and prey Leeds or Everton take the drop.

While I want a villa win in pretty much every circumstance known to man, if Leeds and Everton lose and we do, the pill will be less difficult to swallow.

Going for a 3-0 win, we need to play decent for a whole game at some point this season and I'm hoping it is tomorrow.

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Try to be.

Hope you’re having a good year. I remember what you said (last year). We don’t always agree but that’s life. I hope you are well. 

This game could go a long way to either relegating Burnley or retaining their Premier League status. Over the few weeks I think the obvious approach when playing them is “desire”. I really hope we win the battle early on to play our own game and not find our backs to the wall because we don’t fancy it. They’ll fight for sure, but we surely have the better quality.

A strong finish to the season will do us the world of good and seeing the Norwich game play out, I think Gerrard will now go with Watkins and Ings up top. Iroegbunam made a really promising debut last week, but I’m not sure if Turf Moor is the right place to give him his second start.

Gerrard team:

Martinez

Cash        Chambers       Mings        Digne

McGinn      Luiz       Ramsey

Coutinho

Watkins                 Ings

My team:           

Martinez

Cash        Chambers          Mings          Digne

Luiz

McGinn                     Ramsey

Buendia                 Watkins                 Coutinho

Whatever team Gerrard starts with, I’d like to see Buendia, Iroegbunam and Nakamba get some minutes again on the pitch. Going to say a very ugly 1-2 win. UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

My hopes of Newcastle Everton and Leeds all getting relegated ( to weaken the league next season as they all spend loads) was shattered, I can only hope and prey Leeds or Everton take the drop.

While I want a villa win in pretty much every circumstance known to man, if Leeds and Everton lose and we do, the pill will be less difficult to swallow.

Going for a 3-0 win, we need to play decent for a whole game at some point this season and I'm hoping it is tomorrow.

I dont think Leeds actually have as much money as some believed they have

so with ramsey out what do we think? i'd like to see something like this. get mcginn further forward

usual back 5

tim                       luiz

coutinho         mcginn               buendia

watkins             ings