Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

sne

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Liverpool fans doing this has annoyed me for ages but all I've seen on twitter today was how Digne has only cost £10m after we sold Targett. I think all clubs have started reacting this way recently. 

There's a logic to it for sure 

But then when we play say Nottingham Forest and their fans state the financial disparity between the 2 clubs and we wheel out no Digne was only £10m it's not true is it

When we play Liverpool it's a £200m team vs a £500m one, nett spend then twists that in to us spending more than them but it doesn't change that fact their team cost more than ours and that's why they're better 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

There's a logic to it for sure 

But then when we play say Nottingham Forest and their fans state the financial disparity between the 2 clubs and we wheel out no Digne was only £10m it's not true is it

When we play Liverpool it's a £200m team vs a £500m one, nett spend then twists that in to us spending more than them but it doesn't change that fact their team cost more than ours and that's why they're better 

Yeah, I can see how in simplistic terms it makes a kinda sense but it ignores total amount spent and doesn't consider wages at all. You also need to consider the starting point of where teams were before spending X amount. We've spent several hundred million pounds the last few years but we started with an average Championship squad (ignoring loan players) whereas Liverpool/City etc have added £100m player to an already world class squad. 

Hopefully that makes sense as I've been drinking all evening and had to read your post 4 times before I knew what you were saying. 

• Like 1

More than anything I think it's just Liverpool trying to make themselves seem like the plucky underdogs vs the spending of city 

City's spending is obviously bad but Liverpools spending being better still doesn't make it good 

The starting 11 they put out every saturday afternoon is world class and cost a lot of **** money 

• Like 3

In January Brighton signed the leading scorer in the Belgian league for £6m from their sister club Union Saint-Gilloise.

He's scored 55 goals in 82 games for them :mellow:

And 16 assists, blimey.

If we had Brighton's background setup I think we'd be in a very strong position. 

With their director of football having just signed for Newcastle, it's a big reason I think they'll be up challenging for Champions League before too long.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

In January Brighton signed the leading scorer in the Belgian league for £6m from their sister club Union Saint-Gilloise.

And 16 assists, blimey.

If we had Brighton's background setup I think we'd be in a very strong position. 

With their director of football having just signed for Newcastle, it's a big reason I think they'll be up challenging for Champions League before too long.

Man City signed the hottest young striker in the world for £70m and the SA one for another £30m

Chelsea signed Serie As top scorer for £100m

Liverpool are trying to sign a £80m striker to add to the leagues best player and joint top scorer

Spurs have kane and the other joint top scorer

And that's why they won't get CL any time soon... Unfortunately we're in the same boat, we're trying to cherry pick these young talents and hidden gems but the big fish are snapping up the established talent, including the players we find that come good, the interest from newcastle will be if this French striker comes good can they stop man utd being him for £80m in 2 years time? That's the key, it's not finding the players it's keeping them 

Edited by villa4europe

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

And 16 assists, blimey.

Nah. That’s a big presumption and will take years to get close. There’s a huge gap between the six and 14 - within the next five years it will be even harder for clubs to even break into the top 8. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

And 16 assists, blimey.

I agree normally about the Brighton transfer setup but this transfer is a bit different. The Brighton owner also owns Union SG

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

And 16 assists, blimey.

half of those games were in the second division though. He scored 26 in 37 in first division, which is still very impressive but to give a comparison, Samatta once scored 20 in 28 in the same league.

This could still go either way.

I wouldn't mind having a sister club abroad or in the championship however. 

• Like 1

Yeah, scoring in the Belgian league doesn't necessarily mean very much (nor does being a leading scorer in the Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A, as Werner and plenty of others have proved).

Besides, Belgian league players who go on to greater success elsewhere tend to come from RSC Anderlecht or KRC Genk, don't they? Except for Samatta. 😁

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

More than anything I think it's just Liverpool trying to make themselves seem like the plucky underdogs vs the spending of city 

City's spending is obviously bad but Liverpools spending being better still doesn't make it good 

The starting 11 they put out every saturday afternoon is world class and cost a lot of **** money 

I'm amazed people still struggle with the concept of net spend.  It really isn't tough and is obviously the best barometer of what a club has spent on players.

It's nothing to do with "plucky underdogs" - City just don't turnover much money on their player sales.  Liverpool do.  In the same way that Aston Villa don't turn over much money on their player sales, but Brentford do.

Hopefully we get much better at it.

Man C have sold players for roughly €400m in the last 5 years according to Transfermarkt. Not bad

Obviously they've spent way more but still.

For the same period Liverpool have sold for about €320m. The Coutinho sale makes up €135m of that sum.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm amazed people still struggle with the concept of net spend.  It really isn't tough and is obviously the best barometer of what a club has spent on players.

It's nothing to do with "plucky underdogs" - City just don't turnover much money on their player sales.  Liverpool do.  In the same way that Aston Villa don't turn over much money on their player sales, but Brentford do.

Hopefully we get much better at it.

I think you need to look at what Liverpool and their fans say with regards to their spending 

Klopp will have you believe they don't spend money 

Edited by villa4europe

52 minutes ago, sne said:

Man C have sold players for roughly €400m in the last 5 years according to Transfermarkt. Not bad

Obviously they've spent way more but still.

For the same period Liverpool have sold for about €320m. The Coutinho sale makes up €135m of that sum.

I didn't realise they'd sold at those levels tbh (and had completely forgotten about Ferran Torres already :D).

Net spend for Man City over that period is £424.82m.  Insane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why is it? You see people suggesting we do exactly the same with Archer.

Because we are a pure club 

Its like fans angry at City/Chelsea having feeder clubs but its ok for us to take over a Portugese club with 100 years of history because we are Villa

• Like 1

Had a look through the released list to see if anyone interesting was on there 

Eriksen has left Brentford 

Burnley have released James Vaughan, there's one for the forgotten players thread 

Chelsea have released drinkwater

Everton have released delph

Liverpool released karius

Utd released cavani, lingard, pogba, mats, Lee grant and Paul mcshane! 

West ham released Yarmolenko, Fredericks

Wolves released saiss

And then one that I didn't have a clue about until I saw them... Kevin Lisbie's identical twin sons have been released by Watford 

What capacity was James Vaughan actually at Burnley? One of those overaged players for their under 23 side (same as Paul McShane at Man. United) to give them a coaching leg up). Pretty sure he was last at Bury when they went bust so Burnley didn't sign him to actually play that's for sure.

Someone like Ryan Fredricks would be a decent pick up for Forest if they don't get Spence, average but has good top level experience now.

Â