Match Thread: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Please educate me on how he was? Im being serious because qtakins has been non existent with lowest touches, and cash every  time he has gonw forward has made the wrong decision.

For me only mings has been decent  so far. Mcginns trying hard but not showing the levels of quality. Jj and coutinho been quiet

we've somehow found a way of playing that bypasses our best players in midfield, absolute genius

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm hoping this is one of those days where we slag Ollie off and then he scores a brace.

Pretty sure he has only scored more than 1 goal in a match for us twice.  Against Liverpool and then a couple of weeks later against Arsenal.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The thing Gerrard has brought to us is a contact book: no way is Coutinho here if Smith was manager. But the quality of the organisation of the team is no better, and I would argue worse than Smith last season. Still loads of time for things to get better of course. 

This...  We'll be able to recruit more expensive players to stand around and watch our CBs pass back and forth to each other before hoofing it up to Watkins to lose...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

We’re a similar standard under Gerrard as Newcastle are under Howe. Either we’ve been talking up Gerrard way too much or talking down Howe too much on here. 

I think it's more the latter. Newcastle have sadly morphed into a midtable side over the last few weeks, and I expect them to finish roughly where we are in the table. 

Just now, thunderball said:

‘10th’. If we are not getting points from games like these at the moment where are we getting them? My concern is sleep walking into a very uncomfortable/embarrassing end to the season with only 27 points so far.

valid concern, i think 10th is a best case scenario, i dont see us going on one of those mad runs that other teams seem able to string together like west ham etc, but i also cant see us going down as we do manage to score too many goals. it could get embarassing however if we dont change things up sometimes. Do think we need to make more use of width but we dont really have wingers and the players we did get shot off seemed to be those who can add width to our game. The formation has been working a lot of the time but i think sometimes it will need to be changed and we dont seem to want to do that. However that does not excuse the poor mistakes we are making game after game which are costing us. giving freekicks away in dangerous areas has long been a problem for us, as has defensive mix ups. maybe we need a psychologist to iron out these things in the team, its been a long running problem and cant think how else to solve the problem as the players dont cut it out of their game

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Please educate me on how he was? Im being serious because qtakins has been non existent with lowest touches, and cash every  time he has gonw forward has made the wrong decision.

For me only mings has been decent  so far. Mcginns trying hard but not showing the levels of quality. Jj and coutinho been quiet

Chill out, I was joking. I agree with you, Watkins doesn’t look arsed anymore. 

• Like 3

Just now, thunderball said:

Sadly, despite the investment on Buendia and Coutinho, route 1 looks like our best option for the second half.

To who? Watkins isn’t a route one player…Dan Burn will just mop them up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Booked SJM when he got the ball, allowed them to stand too close to our wall which helped them score. Lets there players kick ours and get away with it, blows every time we clip there players. that enough?

I’m watching a different game then . Newcastle we’re better and hungrier than us , don’t think the ref got to much wrong . 

2 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Anyone else getting slightly frustrated with how football works though? Be a badly run club with awful players but then a sugar daddy comes in and you can instantly buy ballers like Trippier who can make a difference. Or you can be Man City - terrible club always being relegated - get bought and now look at them. These big take overs are ruining everything with no level playing field. 

Or be championship Aston Villa, no hope no plan on the brink of extinction, then an Egyptian and adidas guru come in and all of a sudden we are buying the likes of Courtinho spending millions buying 30 million pound players all over the place. Fact is its not level at all. I just cant handle the fact Newcastle have been bought by these hideous cretins of humanity.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Cash - dire.

Luiz - dire,

McGinn - dire.

Watkins - dire.

Lumping the ball up to Coutinho and Buendia who are 2ft tall against 15ft defenders - check.

The Ball bouncing of wooden plan Watkins - check.

Forward plays breaking down with Watkins and Cash, over and over - check.

Cash looking like he doesnt know what to do with the football when he passes the half way line - check.

Luiz not showing for balls, taking his time and doing nothing with it, over hitting free kicks constantly - check.

McGinn looking like a panicked chicken head and just......wasting possession - check

Half this team is bottom half quality.

Most of those have played better, I don’t buy that they’ve always been shit. This is a case of system and game plan not working at all. 

Just now, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

We arnt quite the same levels of rich though because we still have a weak squad and awful bench. 

I don't know where we are in the league table of top spenders over the last few years but we have got to be up there. I just don't understand how we cannot get a team that plays football for 90 mins for the £400 million or so it has cost to assemble this squad. it is truly baffling.