Winter Break Friendlies

HalfTimePost

I heard that we were planning on having a behind closed doors friendly because we had no FA Cup game so have a longer break. I'm excited to see what this mini break will do for our attacking play. I'm sure Gerrard + team has loved having this time with the squad (Sans Emis)

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

any ideas on the players/formation etc we played?

ie:

Did Chambers play DM or another position?

iroegbunam got some mins it looks like?

Anything else interesting?

Only know the players listed above and that Ings started over Watkins rather than they played together.

I've seen the same debate on Twitter, some have said Chambers did play DM but nothing concrete. I'd assume that Iroegbunam played there whilst he was on for sure and maybe Chambers did later.

The only tidbit of Chambers was that he got back to stop a late attack from Brentford as they looked to equalise. If he was the furthest back I would assume he was playing CB or RB by that point rather than DM - as you'd hope the CBs would be further back than the DM.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wonder why Luiz wasn’t involved.

He may well have been but not pictured. I took the names from photos on the OS and from commentary detailed. It wasn't exhaustive and didn't list who came on when or who started. Very possible others played too.

Or Dougie was off signing a new contract

• Like 3

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2022/february/bees-beaten-by-aston-villa-in-friendly/

Álvaro Fernández got down well to save from McGinn and Chukwuemeka fired wide before Villa scored the winner. The home side kept the pressure on as Brentford dealt with a corner and Douglas Luiz found space on the left. He twisted, turned and crossed for Mings to rise highest and power a header past Fernández from ten yards.

Luiz mentioned in Brentford's match report.

14 minutes ago, weedman said:

I think it's ridiculous that clubs moaned and moaned and moaned for years about the "need" for a winter break, about how no-one was thinking about the poor players. Now they get one and decide to go play a behind closed doors friendly because the players need matches to stay fresh 

We decided to have a training game (less intense and unlimited subs) because we have 2 and a half weeks off as we're not in the FA. We chose that. Other clubs are choosing to rest or have a warm weather training cap. 

18 minutes ago, weedman said:

I think it's ridiculous that clubs moaned and moaned and moaned for years about the "need" for a winter break, about how no-one was thinking about the poor players. Now they get one and decide to go play a behind closed doors friendly because the players need matches to stay fresh 

You know in countries with a winter break they play friendlies before the return from the break right?

22 minutes ago, weedman said:

We havent progressed in the cups and don't have europe. The amount of games, especially the top players, have to play, is ridicilous. There is also a massive difference between playing a friendly and a competitive match

Â