Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

As we approach the last quarter of the transfer window I don't feel that we have strengthened that much in comparison to the other teams around us.

I still feel that we needed a central midfielder and a striker at the very least.

We still have time but we pretty much have the same squad as two seasons ago..

54 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

As we approach the last quarter of the transfer window I don't feel that we have strengthened that much in comparison to the other teams around us.

I still feel that we needed a central midfielder and a striker at the very least.

We still have time but we pretty much have the same squad as two seasons ago..

A lot of clubs have strengthened in this window and one could argue Villa haven’t become stronger at all relative to the competition.

The general idea used to be that we needed a DM for things to click. Now we have one and not much has changed. A new midfielder who can play as 6 or 8 and is very solid in possession would help. Another really good CB would too — we now have Carlos but no obvious partner for him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

A lot of clubs have strengthened in this window and one could argue Villa haven’t become stronger at all relative to the competition.

The general idea used to be that we needed a DM for things to click. Now we have one and not much has changed. A new midfielder who can play as 6 or 8 and is very solid in possession would help. Another really good CB would too — we now have Carlos but no obvious partner for him.

Luiz is the obvious partner imo.  He’s been played out of position for past couple of seasons.  Most times I have saw him play as a no8 he has impressed me. 

• Like 1

I think Gerrard just wants Luiz, Kamara, McGinn, JJ and a new 6/8 Hybrid player for Midfield along with maybe keeping Tim around.

He will ship out Naka and Sanson. With Buendia, Coutinho, Chambers and even Young all able to play in midfield if needed and 3 players were out. 

• Like 2

I think we are waiting on other transfers at the Sky 6 to happen if we are able to pursue the likes of Gallagher or of a similar ilk. 

Important that we continue to shift out the deadwood. 

Lange and co work quietly so don’t see why people lost their minds when we got some quality business done early. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Do you really think a new striker is the problem to scoring goals?

Surely everyone can see the team isn't coached and managed properly as we don't create the chances on a regular basis.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Do not give this gaffer any more players.

I've lived this before. People might love the spending but the alarm bells have been ringing for some time for me.

It's a bloated squad. Wage budget must be getting silly now.

Gerrard has enough to work with and he should be getting better performances and improving people. Not tanking the value of every first team player.

Time for the coach to actually do some coaching and improve the players

Chequebook manager at Rangers

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Do not give this gaffer any more players.

I've lived this before. People might love the spending but the alarm bells have been ringing for some time for me.

It's a bloated squad. Wage budget must be getting silly now.

Gerrard has enough to work with and he should be getting better performances and improving people. Not tanking the value of every first team player.

I agree a good manager would get more out of the current squad.

I’m now almost expecting SG to be sacked at the beginning of the World Cup break, and the new manager could use one or two players like the ones I mentioned. But perhaps it’s better to wait and get them if and when the new manager is in place.

We’re moving from a team that was built to sit back, absorb pressure and hit on the counter (as we have been ever since the Ron days) and like every other premier league team that is happy to just stay in the league outside the top 6/7 to a team that can dominate possession and play on the front foot. That takes a lot of time, patience and a totally different level of technical player. 

A lot of the issues we are seeing is because some of the players are just not up to it, changes in coaching staff won’t have helped and because it’s taking time to get the messaging across which Gerrard needs to take responsibility for.

Having said that, Gerrard needs to be backed to the absolute hilt to get through this period and for everything to bed down. Or we just start this cycle again and have this same discussion in 2 years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Gerrard just wants Luiz, Kamara, McGinn, JJ and a new 6/8 Hybrid player for Midfield along with maybe keeping Tim around.

He will ship out Naka and Sanson. With Buendia, Coutinho, Chambers and even Young all able to play in midfield if needed and 3 players were out. 

He shouldn't have brought in Coutinho then if that's what he wanted. Coutinho was brought in just because he could.

• Confused 1

Is there any truth in the talks we're done for the window? Troubling if so, I really do think we need another midfielder in there. I hope that Luiz can show his best consistently with Kamara behind him too. 

18 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

We’re moving from a team that was built to sit back, absorb pressure and hit on the counter (as we have been ever since the Ron days) and like every other premier league team that is happy to just stay in the league outside the top 6/7 to a team that can dominate possession and play on the front foot. That takes a lot of time, patience and a totally different level of technical player. 

A lot of the issues we are seeing is because some of the players are just not up to it, changes in coaching staff won’t have helped and because it’s taking time to get the messaging across which Gerrard needs to take responsibility for.

Having said that, Gerrard needs to be backed to the absolute hilt to get through this period and for everything to bed down. Or we just start this cycle again and have this same discussion in 2 years. 

One of the players not up to technical football just got made captain

As for technical patient style then why was Carlos punting long balls to no one like Mings has been doing

We have literally no style of play, no system and have plenty of technical players so its no excuse we dont

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wict01 said:

Is there any truth in the talks we're done for the window? Troubling if so, I really do think we need another midfielder in there. I hope that Luiz can show his best consistently with Kamara behind him too. 

I might be wrong but I think the club are reeling in the manager until they see something on the pitch. The backlash to the poor pre season games and Bournemouth has coincided with the lack of links and transfers

13 minutes ago, wict01 said:

Gerrard has already said we are after an 8 in midfield. We aren’t done for sure - and that includes shifting players out. 

• Like 1