Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He had a Scott Hogan burst of form in RBL system. Has been found out for Chelsea and Germany since he hasnt made much impact in tournaments

When seen Werner mentioned I thought Scott Hogan (can't stay onside )and Ollie Watkins (poor finishing) rolled into 1 player 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Football isn’t all about stats. Some judge it with their eyes. I think Werner is a much better player to Watkins. He needs to be played properly and he needs a run of game imo. I watched him at RBL and we was unreal he was so good. The right team and the right manager and Werner will look world class. Ollie will never look world class although he is very good

It's not all about stats, no, but they help explain to us what our eyes are seeing at times. In his final season at RBL he scored 28 goals on an xG of 22.4, which suggested he was quite lucky, and those Chelsea numbers seem to show that the "luck" has run out. Also, from what I've deduced from my eyes, I don't think his strengths as a player fit into the style Gerrard has this team playing. For me, he's much better suited to the Bundesliga than the Premier League.

Finally, his greatest asset has always been his pace, and he's not going to get any faster than he currently is. He'll only get slower., so it's a no thanks from me.

• Haha 1

Player impresses in weak league can’t replicate in team challenging for premier league, Shock horror. 

Now I’m going to be told how strong the Bundasliga is because Frankfurt won the Europa league.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I find it funny how many people complain about Ollie missing his chances yet so many of the same people would take Werner. In Premier League play, Ollie has scored 25 goals on 28.2 xG for Villa while Werner has scored 10 goals on 19.5 xG in two seasons with Chelsea.

Thank you! 😂 think its the price tag and that hes a chelsea player 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

It's not all about stats, no, but they help explain to us what our eyes are seeing at times. In his final season at RBL he scored 28 goals on an xG of 22.4, which suggested he was quite lucky, and those Chelsea numbers seem to show that the "luck" has run out. Also, from what I've deduced from my eyes, I don't think his strengths as a player fit into the style Gerrard has this team playing. For me, he's much better suited to the Bundesliga than the Premier League.

Finally, his greatest asset has always been his pace, and he's not going to get any faster than he currently is. He'll only get slower., so it's a no thanks from me.

It was tempting not to read past the deduction that scoring more goals than xG suggests luck but I persevered 😀

I agree he may not suit a Gerrard team, hence why I said in the right team and with the right manager but I also believe be he is technically a better player to Watkins. I think if we played to his strengths he could be brilliant for us.

As regards not getting any faster with age, I think that is something that can be applied to all players, including Ollie who is older than Werner 

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

As regards not getting any faster with age, I think that is something that can be applied to all players, including Ollie who is older than Werner 

Of course, but the difference is that Ollie has more skills than just being fast. I'm not convinced Werner does. Nearly all his goals with Leipzig were on the counter when he'd beat a high line and run in behind it and get a one-on-one. When Werner isn't attacking on the counter he doesn't offer a whole hell of a lot.

Whilst no Watkins/Ings fan I think we can wait another year for our striker. If we get the midfielder we need this season then realistically the only position we will need to upgrade next season is striker, and then we can throw a big chunk of change at someone who has everything rather than someone who is slightly better than what we hav.

• Like 3