Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Look at West Ham's bench. It's so so average its unbelievable. 

It's a criminal offence how little we get out of our squad. We had top 6 players on our bench yesterday. 

We only need an upgrade this window if a player of clear quality over what we have comes available. 

I am beginning to see that the issue is how we are just not getting anything out of the talent we have, because the sides we are striving to catch are just no way near us in terms of quality. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Look at West Ham's bench. It's so so average its unbelievable. 

It's a criminal offence how little we get out of our squad. We had top 6 players on our bench yesterday. 

We only need an upgrade this window if a player of clear quality over what we have comes available. 

I am beginning to see that the issue is how we are just not getting anything out of the talent we have, because the sides we are striving to catch are just no way near us in terms of quality. 

I would pick all of West Ham's midfield over ours every single day of every single week.  Rice is on a whole different level to anyone in our team.  That's why West Ham have beaten us four times on the bounce.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, allani said:

I would pick all of West Ham's midfield over ours every single day of every single week.  Rice is on a whole different level to anyone in our team.  That's why West Ham have beaten us four times on the bounce.

Bench. Squad. Depth. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I can't see Gallagher being dropped in as 8 personally and working. Palace gave him a free role to get into box infront of two hardworking DMs.

Of course we could do the same here but that would just mean Buendia getting even less minutes.

We just need a top class 8 but transfer window after window the club just fudges the issue and McGinn being made captain means there's a remote chance we're signing anyone in that position soon.

We really don't need to stockpile yet another attacking midfielder as we've got loads already.

Tielemans would be amazing signing but I assume he's just going to go on a free from Leicester now end of the season.

Exactly.  Smith's belief that Luiz and McGinn could work together ultimately cost him his job.  If Gerrard thinks that two of Luiz, McGinn and JJ will work in the majority of games then that will also cost him his job.  We need to address the balance in midfield.  We've not done it in 3 seasons and continue to be surprised that our creative players up front don't get enough good balls in good positions to fashion chances and that our defence continues to get exposed when we give the ball away and our midfield don't track back their man and allow unmarked midfielders to shoot from the edge of the box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd just play Doug deeper alongside Kamara until he settles in.  It seems the ideal way to use him for the last year of his contract.  

Doug has played that role for 3 seasons and has limitations.  He gives us good options but if we want to be a consistent team we need to get a player better suited to playing that role.  Luiz and McGinn just don't give us the attacking or defensive platform that we need.  JJ is better at driving forwards and so also doesn't fit that role.  If we continue playing 2 of Luiz, McGinn and JJ - all that will happen is that Kamara will get more and more isolated and more and more overrun.  By the end of the season people will be saying that he wasn't the answer to the DCM problem.  He needs more support.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We desperately need another defensive midfielder who’s comfortable on the ball. We can then play a double pivot with either Ramsey or McGinn (shudder) slightly in front of it. 

If we really wanted to improve, we’d go out and buy two midfielders and sell McGinn and Luiz/Sanson. But we won’t. 

Central midfield is still a massive problem for us. Has been since we got promoted and arguably at times in the Championship too. 

I think we’ve had a massive problem ever since Petrov was forced to stop playing.

4 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

I'd be cautious about spending anymore with the current manager in charge.  If I was the owners I'd be telling him to go with what he has. 

Sorry can't agree with this.

The players we have signed so far, are at the level almost any Manager would appreciate.

As a club you can't just not sign proven quality due to the Manager.

Even if SG were to get sacked right now, any potential Manager would come in to a much better squad than we had when he came in.

It's not like the old days, there is a committee and Lange etc.

SG doesn't just watch some football then decide he want's a player and the club go and do it. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Bench. Squad. Depth. 

They've got some injuries in fairness and new signings not ready, Cornet will be on their bench next week I assume and Dawson, Diop and Ogbonna weren't involved so they were light on CBs today.

Yet again our bench is just one of those "good on paper" visuals as the subs we put on don't tend to win us many points when we're losing or drawing a game until they prove otherwise.

Wolves signing Guedes, Everton signing Coady and Onana. Forest after Gakpo. Even Bournemouth are signing Senesi. Everyone around us is strengthening and buying players that would probably improve us while we continue to do nothing despite getting a serious wake up call yesterday. 

It's really hard to be positive about anything at the moment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Wolves signing Guedes, Everton signing Coady and Onana. Forest after Gakpo. Even Bournemouth are signing Senesi. Everyone around us is strengthening and buying players that would probably improve us while we continue to do nothing despite getting a serious wake up call yesterday. 

It's really hard to be positive about anything at the moment. 

We'll always have that night in Istanbul...

• Haha 1

Based off yesterday I would like three things:

A midfielder who can pass through the center and a forward who can score.

Also a coaching staff that can come up with a gameplan to beat what was literally a weakened Championship side.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Based off yesterday I would like three things:

A midfielder who can pass through the center and a forward who can score.

Also a coaching staff that can come up with a gameplan to beat what was literally a weakened Championship side.

Aouar is being linked with moves to everyone except us it seems, yet he'd probably be the perfect sort of midfielder for us to link defence and attack. Also available on the cheap.

I'd be tempted by Jonathan David if we were to go for a striker, he'd cost a lot but he's at an age where he will only improve drastically and he scored two goals today. We just need to offload Ings on someone, easier said than done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let's see if the board allow the manager to make further signings. If there are no further signings and Gerrard says he wants more players through the door before the window closes then he could be on borrowed time.