Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

If people think that "as if by magic" our two main strikers are going to totally transform themselves into scoring machines this season they are going to be sorely disappointed.

Watkins and Ings do NOT work upfront and anyone that thinks that they do need their head examined.

If Gerrard wants to play that 4-2-3-1 system he is going to need someone up front who can put away the chances and currently the only person i can see that can do that in the squad is Archer.

The club will not put all that pressure on a kid so young so its a definite sign for me that we are going to sign another Striker and either one of Ings or Watkins will be sold.

There will be a few outgoings this week..Our defence looks solid now..we need one more world class Midfielder and striker and that will be us done.

• Like 4

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not so fast Pussy Cat! 

Article link

So,we should stick with Olly and Ings as our starting strikers for next season ? They didnt score all that many goals last term either.

IMHO,Davis is probably going.Replace him with a reconised/proven striker.

16 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

If people think that "as if by magic" our two main strikers are going to totally transform themselves into scoring machines this season they are going to be sorely disappointed.

Watkins and Ings do NOT work upfront and anyone that thinks that they do need their head examined.

If Gerrard wants to play that 4-2-3-1 system he is going to need someone up front who can put away the chances and currently the only person i can see that can do that in the squad is Archer.

The club will not put all that pressure on a kid so young so its a definite sign for me that we are going to sign another Striker and either one of Ings or Watkins will be sold.

There will be a few outgoings this week..Our defence looks solid now..we need one more world class Midfielder and striker and that will be us done.

What striker is out there and signable who is a clear upgrade on Watkins and Ings?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, eholm said:

Not massive issues but it will still be restricitng us to a certain extent. Especially when this striker 2.0 would cost huge money and wages.....that was more my point re FFP.

Do you have any idea how much we can spend before reaching the limit? its hundreds of millions.

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We all know Ings was a panic buy and unfortunately the club are going to pay the price for this. 

This all day. 

As much as I like the guy, there has Never been a plan regarding how to use him and Watkins together, although SG desperately wants them to gel. I don't see the problem in leaving one on the bench and then actually creating some balance in the starting XI.

Thankfully, it looks like Bailey and Buendia are/have/will come good. [just covering all the bases...]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO,after a total of "one penalty" between our 2 strikers,spread over 3  pre- season games........ S.G. definately needs to buy a striker/or 2 

While I'd love to see us getting more penalties as well, it's not just a striker's job to draw them. It's the style of play. Teams that carry the ball into the box more often will draw more. A more dynamic midfield will do just as much to draw penalties.

36 minutes ago, maqroll said:

What striker is out there and signable who is a clear upgrade on Watkins and Ings?

Even if you included the unsignable ones there aren't that many that are a clear upgrade.

That isn't because I rate them so highly but because there is a dearth of top strikers in football now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Ings was a poor signing and we are stuck with a declining player on a high salary.

Watkins is still a sellable asset who has reached double figures for a mid table club two seasons on the trot.

So how and what do we do to improve in that department then?

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Did you watch any football last season? Putting them together up Top under Gerrard turned our form around and we went on a run. It's clear you might need your head examined not us.

I don't think they should play every game together, some games are better for other players and a different system. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Just back from the clinic--Nob rot confirmed.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I’m sure Lange and his team have a list of those players.

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So how and what do we do to improve in that department then?

IMO it’s simple, the club just have to accept that the Ings / Watkins partnership isn’t what we need and instead we need to prioritise playing one over the other and maximising the potential of either Watkins or Ings rather than compromising on both. Neither may be “perfect” but focusing on getting the best out of one will result in a step up in returns pretty quickly 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m sure Lange and his team have a list of those players.

I think we would have to ship one out before buying a new one and in all honesty nobody is taking Ings  unless its a loan deal and Watkins options are probably limited in Premier League terms. A team like West Ham/Leeds might fit him in but a. they have signed another player already or b. they probably cant afford him

31 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Ings was a poor signing and we are stuck with a declining player on a high salary.

Watkins is still a sellable asset who has reached double figures for a mid table club two seasons on the trot.

Ing's has more experience and on his day better than Watkin''s will ever be. Ing's needs a run of games, an I don't mean 60 minutes then give Watkin''s a go, I mean a full runs of games, then we can confirm who it's worth going with.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Did you watch any football last season? Putting them together up Top under Gerrard turned our form around and we went on a run. It's clear you might need your head examined not us.

I don't think they should play every game together, some games are better for other players and a different system. 

Which run was this?