Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

So the baby is not a year old yet, so we say ok if it continues this season. 

We are paying him millions per year, at what point are outside influences to his job whether reasonable or not can be acceptable? It’s a reasonable question given the money involved both to him and us in the league?  Life isn’t always about money but football is about absolute peak performance and the slight margins make amazing differences in this league.

Yeah - but kids aren't about money.  They're an effort and tiring.

People's views on footballers being non-human is, frankly, utterly ridiculous.

• Like 2

A baby cannot be used as an excuse and I doubt Ollie ever would but it may have been a factor. We’ll never know. I still don’t think we need a new striker when our current strikers are likely to get you double figures but I guess we’ll see this season.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Yeah - but kids aren't about money.  They're an effort and tiring.

People's views on footballers being non-human is, frankly, utterly ridiculous.

Yeah but if players don’t perform they will be replaced, no matter what the excuse is.  I don’t really think anybody thinks footballers are non-human it’s just at the elite they are playing, the money they are paid, everything is about 100%.  Slightly below that means losing.

You think anybody cares if a boxer has a baby if he loses or a top male athlete gets bronze instead of gold at the Olympics because he had a baby.  The fans look for performance and entertainment, the sponsors are less generous in sponsorships for not the sportsperson that are winning.

Plus most of these players are having families, not just one or two but a large portion, they aren’t all affected if that’s the excuse being used for Ollie.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A baby cannot be used as an excuse and I doubt Ollie ever would but it may have been a factor. We’ll never know. I still don’t think we need a new striker when our current strikers are likely to get you double figures but I guess we’ll see this season.

He did have a look of someone who was absolutely knackered.  I don't think he had a full pre-season either as he got a niggle which seems rare for him.  I think we undervalue a striker who does as much work as Ollie and capable of getting double figures in the PL as well.  He just needs to get off to a good start this season as confidence will bring the goals from positions he was missing last season.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Yeah but if players don’t perform they will be replaced, no matter what the excuse is.  I don’t really think anybody thinks footballers are non-human it’s just at the elite they are playing, the money they are paid, everything is about 100%.  Slightly below that means losing.

You think anybody cares if a boxer has a baby if he loses or a top male athlete gets bronze instead of gold at the Olympics because he had a baby.  The fans look for performance and entertainment, the sponsors are less generous in sponsorships for not the sportsperson that are winning.

Plus most of these players are having families, not just one or two but a large portion, they aren’t all affected if that’s the excuse being used for Ollie.

Yes, if they're not up to their role and can be replaced, they will be.  But this whole "having a baby is no excuse" nonsense is just that - nonsense.  He could be earning £1bn/wk, it doesn't mean that a disturbed nights' sleep can suddenly be an undisturbed nights' sleep.  I'm not saying it's a factor (to be honest, I don't really think he's underperformed), but it could be one.  Having a child is a massive adjustment to your life - lots of money or not.

• Like 2

Just now, bobzy said:

Yes, if they're not up to their role and can be replaced, they will be.  But this whole "having a baby is no excuse" nonsense is just that - nonsense.  He could be earning £1bn/wk, it doesn't mean that a disturbed nights' sleep can suddenly be an undisturbed nights' sleep.  I'm not saying it's a factor (to be honest, I don't really think he's underperformed), but it could be one.  Having a child is a massive adjustment to your life - lots of money or not.

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree.  Yes a baby affects life but for his job, while an excuse it’s not an acceptable excuse to his performance.  He has to make sure it didn’t affect his performance if that’s what he did.  We disagree that he didn’t underperform last season, he plainly did but everybody has opinions.

I still think we need another striker.  I’m not convinced the baby thing is an issue despite ur discussion, I’m worried he just had a one off season two seasons ago and without Grealish he’s not the same player.  I think we need another, better striker.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree.  Yes a baby affects life but for his job, while an excuse it’s not an acceptable excuse to his performance.  He has to make sure it didn’t affect his performance if that’s what he did.  We disagree that he didn’t underperform last season, he plainly did but everybody has opinions.

I still think we need another striker.  I’m not convinced the baby thing is an issue despite ur discussion, I’m worried he just had a one off season two seasons ago and without Grealish he’s not the same player.  I think we need another, better striker.

:rolleyes:

I don't think the concerns around Ollie are kid related or not having it in his locker to start scoring more. Most the world have kids at some point and adjust, it's just normal life. He wants to try having more than one. As for his ability, regardless of how limited people think he is, he still has it in his locker to net on a consistent basis. If you've done it once you can do it again. 

I think Ollie's 2 biggest issues are based around 2 factors. The change in the system and lack of width in the attack from both sides and the lack of confidence based on his struggles within the system. I think he thrives more as a striker from balls into the box from wide. I think Ings is also having similar issues tbh, as most of our attacking runs are still central and in congested areas. Natural width up top allows us to stretch the back 4 and create spaces between the backline, without this you allow defences to be more compact and harder to exploit. I think this is Gerrard's problem more than the strikers. If we want to be more possession based we need to expand our play more.   

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

We have no FFP issues.

Not massive issues but it will still be restricitng us to a certain extent. Especially when this striker 2.0 would cost huge money and wages.....that was more my point re FFP.

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO,after a total of "one penalty" between our 2 strikers,spread over 3  pre- season games........ S.G. definately needs to buy a striker/or 2 

eh Archer scored

12 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO,after a total of "one penalty" between our 2 strikers,spread over 3  pre- season games........ S.G. definately needs to buy a striker/or 2 

Not so fast Pussy Cat! 

Last season's joint-top goalscorer Mohamed Salah scored no pre-season goals in 2021. In fact, out of the ten top goalscorers last season, six didn't score for their clubs in pre-season.

Article link

• Haha 2