Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

We’re not going to agree on this but Dougie’s our best 8, Ings our best striker & Mings/Carlos is our best CB paring (Chambers as 3rd option) imo.

I’d want to keep Sanson around because I think he has a role to play but wouldn’t be upset to see him go. 

Lol no, we ain’t going to agree, but here’s my stance for the record 

I agree Doug is our best 8, but his contract is running out, so if he’s not signing, cash in on him and replace

I disagree about Ings, he’s barely the player he was when we signed him and this preseason he’s barely the player he was last season. It’s not entirely his fault, we don’t play to his strengths and him and Watkins are nowhere near in sync. I’d say cash in before it gets to a situation where no one is interested.. he still has enough stock to attract buyers. 

I’m not sure where you getting your Mings/Carlos opinion from, Mings is having an awful preseason, chambers is showing more so far. But preseason aside, if Mings has another poor season, we will replace him and his value will drop to F all.. so save the risk and cash in and replace. 

Sanson isn’t looking likely to be the player we need, but as thing stands he isn’t worth much, so it wouldn’t be too harmful to keep him about, particularly if Carney is going. 

If Doug commits, that’s cool, if Mings has a good season, that’s cool, if Ings gets his form back, that’s cool. If Sanson finds any form, that’s cool. But as of right now, these things don’t seem likely. However, I hope to be wrong 

20 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I agree Doug is our best 8, but his contract is running out, so if he’s not signing, cash in on him and replace

I disagree about Ings, he’s barely the player he was when we signed him and this preseason he’s barely the player he was last season. It’s not entirely his fault, we don’t play to his strengths and him and Watkins are nowhere near in sync. I’d say cash in before it gets to a situation where no one is interested.. he still has enough stock to attract buyers. 

I’m not sure where you getting your Mings/Carlos opinion from, Mings is having an awful preseason, chambers is showing more so far. But preseason aside, if Mings has another poor season, we will replace him and his value will drop to F all.. so save the risk and cash in and replace. 

Sanson isn’t looking likely to be the player we need, but as thing stands he isn’t worth much, so it wouldn’t be too harmful to keep him about, particularly if Carney is going. 

If Doug commits, that’s cool, if Mings has a good season, that’s cool, if Ings gets his form back, that’s cool. If Sanson finds any form, that’s cool. But as of right now, these things don’t seem likely. However, I hope to be wrong 

Not sure what people are seeing in regards to Mings. I wouldn’t say he’s had an awful preseason. Thought he was solid against Leeds. He wasn’t great today but was certainly not awful.

Agree on cashing out with Ings though. Might as well get what we can for him while he still provides some value.

• Like 1

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

Not sure what people are seeing in regards to Mings. I wouldn’t say he’s had an awful preseason. Thought he was solid against Leeds. He wasn’t great today but was certainly not awful.

Agree on cashing out with Ings though. Might as well get what we can for him while he still provides some value.

With Brightons Maupay being linked away maybe they want a finisher .  I like Danny i really do but if our manager is going to persist in playing 2 up front then we need to sell him to stop him ! 

• Thanks 1

Who could we even sign as a CF                                                                      ? Who would immediately improve us? Even if we spent £60m.? Genuine question because I think we need to improve but I don’t know much about the wider football world 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Any suggestion of cashing in on Mings just in case he has “another poor season” (did he?) is one of the most moronic things I’ve ever read 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mings isn't a priority to replace, but he is another one that isn't good enough to get us into the Top 6. Fortunately we're not aiming for the Top 6 so he's a good player to have in the squad, as much for his leadership qualities as anything else.

He is an England international as well so can't be too bad.

I know I say it a lot but McGinn is the next one that I think needs to be replaced. A lot of players in teams aiming for a Top 10 finish are inconsistent, but it always feels like it's 2 good games and 1 bad one for a lot of them. With McGinn it feels like it flip flops every week. Form is not something he can maintain beyond 1 game.

Also, I love Watkins work rate, but I don't think it's enough when his finishing is so poor. It's almost as if we have to play Ings and Watkins because we can't play either as a lone striker, which means that we lose out on playing Bailey and / or Buendia, who showed today exactly why they should be in the team.

23 hours ago, TRO said:

Consistency has been our worst enemy.

We have to remember.....We was 0-2 up at the Etihad, after 70 minutes, with them going for the league title( what more incentive/motivation did they have?)......There is definately something worthwhile in this team of ours, that is worthy of serious consideration.....but we have to stop the gifts.

Despite the quality of the oppostion, I thought the collapse was poor......and the creation of their 3 goals was helped by benevolence, many teams would have seen that 20 minutes out, even if they might not have gone 0-2 up in the first place.

Rodri was not closed down and Gundogan had the freedom of the back post.....once again poor security of the back post.

My point is, our 2 goals were quality, our defending was not.

I hope this coming season, we are able to capitalise on the undoubted talent we have in the team, by securing all our good work, which I know we can produce.

I agree about consistency, but that 4-3-1-2 I just don't like. We simply don't have the creativity in our central midfield, and both strikers are primarily grafters, when we need one of them to be a focal point for holding up the ball, creating, and a bit of unpredictability. That team with JJ, McGinn, Ings, and Watkins, with one of Coutinho or Buendia, doesn't have enough creativity or penetration. There is only Coutinho, who is a real provider, the rest just work hard really. JJ has a good shot and finish (and McGinn to a lesser extent), he can carry the ball out too, but he passing is primarily safe. McGinn tries, but his technique lets himself down at times and this is the heart of his consistency. Both JJ and Mcginn want to get in the box, but are also expected to cover the fullbacks. It only really makes sense to have one of them in the team at once.

I firmly believe our best midfield is Kamara, with Luiz and JJ in front. Luiz offers more control and better defensive cover than McGinn, JJ is the better goalscorer and he safer passing will help us control the ball (but McGinn would also thrive with Luiz alongside him). We could have Luiz playing as 6-8, as dropping in the make two 6's when defending, but then recycling and distributing the ball higher up when in possession. JJ playing one twos, carry out the ball, and getting into the box. to me this give us the best balance.

In attack I'd Go with Bailey on the right and Coutinho or Buendia left (depending on the opposition), With either Ings or Watkins as the CF. With Bailey, we will alway have pace, and can push him higher up if alongside Ings. Bailey is the only direct threat we have, without him, we are much easier to deal with.

I am conviced Kamara and Luiz would be very complimentary to each other. And Luiz as a defense oriented 8, give the likes of JJ, and McGinn the freedom to play their natural game. Bailey gives us something every attack should have which we lack without him. If the balance isn't right the performances will be inconsistent. Kamara and Luiz can really run things for us.

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

Mings is definitely good enough for us at the moment. Madness to suggest otherwise.

Mings is really poor. Sorry, but cannot see how anyone could come to any other conclusion. We literally now have 3 centre-halves who are more dependable than him. On his best day he still has a horrendous gaffe in him - on their best days Konsa, Chambers and Carlos are all solid.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Mings is really poor. Sorry, but cannot see how anyone could come to any other conclusion. We literally now have 3 centre-halves who are more dependable than him. On his best day he still has a horrendous gaffe in him - on their best days Konsa, Chambers and Carlos are all solid.

An utterly atrocious take. I hope you still have me on mute, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Problem is we don't know if/why he is not signing. If he has his heart set on leaving, why would he want to leave this summer/january when he can see out the rest of his contract and get a massive signing bonus on a bosman.

I don't see anyone meeting the price (and wages) we and he'd demand. I also think he links up much better than Watkins with Phil and Emi. I also have no clue where you are getting the "he's barely the player he was when we signed him" part. Iirc he had the most goal contributions among our squad last year and we know that he didn't play every game. 

I also think he works better in the type of football that Gerrard will want to play.

He's having an awful preseason??? I don't think what I've seen of him has been awful. I do agree with you on Chambers, but as we saw with last year, he is prone to errors (as are most center halfs in the world). And in what way did Mings have a poor season last year? Definitely didn't see an awful season from him last year. Though now we have a lot of genuine competition for 2 spots, the pressure is on him

50 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I know I say it a lot but McGinn is the next one that I think needs to be replaced. A lot of players in teams aiming for a Top 10 finish are inconsistent, but it always feels like it's 2 good games and 1 bad one for a lot of them. With McGinn it feels like it flip flops every week. Form is not something he can maintain beyond 1 game.

Completely agree with you here. We've signed players to replace starters in every position (since promotion) except for one to replace McGinn. We are at that point now, that he's the next person to get genuine competition for a place (I believe that can easily be Luiz but a new signing maybe). Every time I see him play, he doesn't look suited to play in a possession-based team.

ALSO, I don't think McGinn can play as a 2 with Kamara if we go 4-2-3-1. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Mings is a perfectly fine midtable CB I’m not knocking him one single bit, but in terms of “cashing in” it does come with caveats.. if we can get a better replacement.. and if we can get some decent money. Non are likely to happen.

Despite some good games, Mings was overall poor last season, poor enough to lose his England spot. He was poor against Brisbane and Man U this preseason. And if this poor trend continues, he’ll lose his villa spot too… Stevie G has stated that he wants competition there, With Konsa and now Chambers. So if we are ever to sell Mings.. if you factor in his age, now is probably the best time, maybe next summer if he’s good this season.. which I hope he has.. not for the sale, but for Villa. He’s a good egg and I like him. But knowing when to sell players should be an important part of how this club is run.. despite it being a controversial take to have on VillaTalk

43 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree about consistency, but that 4-3-1-2 I just don't like. We simply don't have the creativity in our central midfield, and both strikers are primarily grafters, when we need one of them to be a focal point for holding up the ball, creating, and a bit of unpredictability. That team with JJ, McGinn, Ings, and Watkins, with one of Coutinho or Buendia, doesn't have enough creativity or penetration. There is only Coutinho, who is a real provider, the rest just work hard really. JJ has a good shot and finish (and McGinn to a lesser extent), he can carry the ball out too, but he passing is primarily safe. McGinn tries, but his technique lets himself down at times and this is the heart of his consistency. Both JJ and Mcginn want to get in the box, but are also expected to cover the fullbacks. It only really makes sense to have one of them in the team at once.

I firmly believe our best midfield is Kamara, with Luiz and JJ in front. Luiz offers more control and better defensive cover than McGinn, JJ is the better goalscorer and he safer passing will help us control the ball (but McGinn would also thrive with Luiz alongside him). We could have Luiz playing as 6-8, as dropping in the make two 6's when defending, but then recycling and distributing the ball higher up when in possession. JJ playing one twos, carry out the ball, and getting into the box. to me this give us the best balance.

In attack I'd Go with Bailey on the right and Coutinho or Buendia left (depending on the opposition), With either Ings or Watkins as the CF. With Bailey, we will alway have pace, and can push him higher up if alongside Ings. Bailey is the only direct threat we have, without him, we are much easier to deal with.

I am conviced Kamara and Luiz would be very complimentary to each other. And Luiz as a defense oriented 8, give the likes of JJ, and McGinn the freedom to play their natural game. Bailey gives us something every attack should have which we lack without him. If the balance isn't right the performances will be inconsistent. Kamara and Luiz can really run things for us.

Our problem, amongst many, which was in clear evidence in the first half in Perth is.....we don't like the press and at times we struggle with it.....despite the quality in our players, we are still easy to play against at times, and that first half showed it.....WE made Man Utd look good.....Their goals were poor play by us in allowing cash to be overloaded, too slow to react from us, ( how often has that happened)......Our first goal in contrast was well executed play.

We have plenty of creativity in our team, but we allow other teams to negate it......you mention all the players that work hard, but it was they,(Man U ) that was doing the pressing first half.....thats hard work.....running around and not getting close to opponents is semi - hardwork....Its shadow boxing, in boxing terms.

Coutinho will always be a target for players to shut down....we have to find players to release him by shutting them down.

Second half was like chalk and cheese and some fringe players showing they want that first team shirt.....Bailey being the obvious one......but KKH must have had folk thinking, he can't go out on loan, he is "oven ready" .....good feet at both ends of the pitch and pace to boot.

We can play about with formations all day long......but the players have to perform, irrespective of how we set up.

The top players, play in all sorts of formations, but they adapt....they make it their business to.

• Thanks 1

I really don’t think we need anything more this window.

It was telling for me that in some respects, we have more depth than Man United, the team they ended the game with was shit whereas we were able to bring on decent - good quality.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1